On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

Kiley McDaniel says as well that Skenes is the best college pitching prospect since Gerritt Cole and one of the handful of the best in the last 20 years. Still though for all the reasons that have already been outlined I just don't like the idea of taking a pitcher that early. He would need to be viewed as the clearly better prospect to do so like how Mize was at the time.

On 5/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, chasfh said:

As much as I also believe the Tigers would be better served focusing on hitting in this draft, if Harris’s team selected a pitcher like Skenes third overall, I would trust that they know what they’re doing. 

I trust that they know what they're doing and I still don't want a pitcher.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I trust that they know what they're doing and I still don't want a pitcher.  

I’ll be OK with one if he’s a four-year college guy can step into at least the middle of the rotation within a year. No more Turners or Mannings or Jobes.

18 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Agreed I don't ever want another pitcher with a top 10 pick.

You'd never draft or not draft by a category. You do factor risk into your grading of individuals, so pitchers and high schoolers have that in their grading. After factoring for risk, if that is the highest player on your board, take him.

If you consistently miss, get better scouts.

16 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You'd never draft or not draft by a category. You do factor risk into your grading of individuals, so pitchers and high schoolers have that in their grading. After factoring for risk, if that is the highest player on your board, take him.

If you consistently miss, get better scouts.

You are right, but, I'm just a fan who doesn't know anything about these guys and sees pitchers get hurt all the time!  Realistically, there are exceptions but with a top three pick, I am hoping for a hitter.  

I know...I love that channel!

Currently...MLB.com has Noble Meyer as the 15th ranked prospect thanks to a 60 FB, 55 SL (55 Overall).  As a HS RHP....he probably won't go that high...but I doubt he drops to #37

Edited by Shinzaki

The top 4 of this class is crazy strong.  I think all of them would have been the #1 prospect if in a different draft the past couple of years.  The Tigers got really lucky to get bumped up in the lottery to #3.  I'd be doing cartwheels for any of Crews, Langford and Jenkins. Skenes is also probably the best college pitching prospect since Strasburg. 

It's also a strong top 50 of a class, so it is a good draft to have 3 of the top 50 as well, and the 2nd highest overall bonus pool.

Edited by Scottwood

12 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Does anyone have a thought between Langford vs Jenkins? I kinda like Langford shorter timeline to the show and a right handed bat which we don’t have a lot of

Yea, I do like the potential shorter timeline with Langford. Yet, if Jenkins is an exceptional hitter, then perhaps the timeline is 'not that long' as well. Here is where scouting comes into play. Also, as mentioned, the Tigs have 3 picks in the top 46 or so. They hopefully will make some hay here.

35 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Henning has Langford #1, which is possible I guess

That seems like a "hot take"....did he explain why Langford is a better pick than Crews?

I would prefer Langford if he's there (assuming Crews isn't) but Jenkins or Clark sound like great prospects as well.  My preference is for the RH power OF

Edited by Shinzaki

15 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

That seems like a "hot take"....did he explain why Langford is a better pick than Crews?

I would prefer Langford if he's there (assuming Crews isn't) but Jenkins or Clark sound like great prospects as well.  My preference is for the RH power OF

The theory is Langford would be cheaper and there isn't a big gap between Crews and Langford.

Keith Law thinks any of the top 5 guys could go #1 in a typical draft.  Maybe it is groupthink, but every analyst I've seen agrees about the strength at the top of the class.  

• Like 1

Latest rumors have been the Tigers like Clark and Jenkins, but neither of them would be even close to an off the wall pick like taking Jobe.  Until right before the draft when the Tigers fell in love with him, Jobe was commonly mocked to go in the teens. Both Clark and Jenkins would be seen as top 50 overall prospects in MLB from day 1 and I think ESPN has them both in the top 30.  I'd be happy with any of Crews, Langford, Jenkins or Clark.

Edited by Scottwood
  • Like 1