On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who even cares anymore?     Doesn't matter, they'll mess it up.   Even if they hit on the first pick they won't get shit in Roudns 2-10 because they pretty much never do. 

Oh... do you mean like Spencer Turnbull? Or Tarik Skubal? Or Ty Alexander? Beau Brieske? Kody Clemens? Dillon Dingler or Wenceel Perez (whoops, gotta wait another year for those two...)?

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Let me know when any of those guys puts together 3 league average years in a row.   

I'll let you know after the 2025 season.

Bet you can't wait for that!!!

Especially because there will be 3 more Avila's worth of draft picks on their way!!!

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

That's today.

Which says nothing about tomorrow (you know... "wait till next year!!!").

yeah, but you thought they were all good yesterday too.

you're an eternal optimist when it comes to this team.  they need fans like you.

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The odds don't increase at all in the top 3. I posted them earlier in the thread.

Awesome... I'll go look...

But also... "don't increase at all in the top 3" means that once a team starts falling OUT of the top 3 those odds start to decrease, correct? (before I go take a look for the answer myself...).

19 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

There is nothing wrong with being an optimist.  It probably adds a couple of years to your life - the Tigers might finally be good in those years.  

It would seem less likely that Avila would be the GM then, so, yes there could be some hope.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 10:43 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Oh... do you mean like Spencer Turnbull? Or Tarik Skubal? Or Ty Alexander? Beau Brieske? Kody Clemens? Dillon Dingler or Wenceel Perez (whoops, gotta wait another year for those two...)?

Most of these guys wouldn't be on the major league roster of any other team.  While most of these guys are gritty and easy ones to pull for, that doesn't necessarily translate into quality major leaguers.  Give me the primadonna stud ballplayer over the guys that grind and grind just to make it to the majors.  If you are relying on those guys as your nucleus, you are probably in the situation the Tigers are in right now.  If your top prospects turn out like Mize and Torkelson has so far, you might as well chalk up 90 to 100 losses right now.

1 hour ago, gkelly said:

If your top prospects turn out like Mize and Torkelson has so far, you might as well chalk up 90 to 100 losses right now.

We don't know how Mize and Torkelson are going to turn out. Making assumptions based on the initial adjustments to mlb is pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing left of this season except the Lottery to determine where we draft...

Currently tied for 3rd worst record... 

We haven't moved much at all in the standings the past two months... up or down.

In the 3rd spot worst we can select is 6th, in the 4th spot worst we can select is 7th...

So we'll have a draft spot next year between 1 and 7th it looks like... Something for the new GM whomever he or she may be... to show what their draft philosophy is...

I hope it's not a college RH'ed reliever with a 100+ MPH straight fastball and control problems....

• 2 weeks later...

As has been true most of the season, Washington and Oakland look like a lock for bottom 2 in the standings.  With the latest winning streak, the Tigers have overtaken Pittsburgh, the Reds, and KC.  They are two games behind Miami and Colorado, each with 65 wins to the Tigers 63.  It's not impossible that the Tigers could play their way out of the bottom six.

On a side note, the Tigers, with 63 wins, are now guaranteed  to have fewer than 100 losses.

Edited by apabruce

4 hours ago, apabruce said:

As has been true most of the season, Washington and Oakland look like a lock for bottom 2 in the standings.  With the latest winning streak, the Tigers have overtaken Pittsburgh, the Reds, and KC.  They are two games behind Miami and Colorado, each with 65 wins to the Tigers 63.  It's not impossible that the Tigers could play their way out of the bottom six.

On a side note, the Tigers, with 63 wins, are now guaranteed  to have fewer than 100 losses.