On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

Kiley McDaniel put out his first mock and he has us taking Langford with Clark and Crews going 1-2 respectively.  Also mentions how we have been scouting and connected to Va Tech catcher Kyle Teel and in the event that Crews and Langford go 1-2 that Teel will probably be the guy if we elect to go the more advanced college bat route. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kiley McDaniel put out his first mock and he has us taking Langford with Clark and Crews going 1-2 respectively.  Also mentions how we have been scouting and connected to Va Tech catcher Kyle Teel and in the event that Crews and Langford go 1-2 that Teel will probably be the guy if we elect to go the more advanced college bat route. 

I've seen one prospect report comparing Teel to Patrick Bailey and Omar Narvaez. A good hotting catcher prospect who is also capable in the OF and 2B

https://msabr.com/2023/04/12/2023-mlb-draft-prospect-profile-kyle-teel/

BTW he's a UVA guy, not VaTech..

New mock draft from Callis on MLB is basically the same from a month ago but I thought these rumors were interesting:

"There's chatter that the Pirates are leaning toward cutting a discount deal with the top pick as they did two years ago, that the Tigers want college bats and would pass on Skenes and the prep outfielders at No. 3 and that the Twins don't want a high schooler at No. 5."

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/2023-mlb-mock-draft-first-round-june-1?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Crews a possibility for the Tigers? I'm sure they'll be happy to settle for Langford who's OPS is even higher than Crews now.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 5:00 PM, RatkoVarda said:

Pipeline and Law both have Teel at 6, so not a huge stretch and if you can get him for 7.3M, that gives you 1M to play with later. But Crews and Langford are both having seasons worthy of the #1` pick (Skenes, too).

There seems to be a clear top tier of five. Taking someone from the second tier, just because you'd prefer a college bat, seems irrational.

3 hours ago, Longgone said:

There seems to be a clear top tier of five. Taking someone from the second tier, just because you'd prefer a college bat, seems irrational.

Yeah, unless they think the college catcher will hit and be able to stay there.  With our dearth of catching, it would be nice to upgrade there.  

21 hours ago, Longgone said:

I agree and for the record I may not have worded it right but Kiley said IF they chose to go that route, not that they necessarily are. 

17 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Yeah, unless they think the college catcher will hit and be able to stay there.  With our dearth of catching, it would be nice to upgrade there.  

I had mentioned the catcher out of Virginia earlier. Also given Harris' history with the Giants one would think a catcher like Teel would be on his radar. Then you look at SF's recent track record with Bart and Bailey.

I guess it boils down to who you think has the best and quickest chance of making it to the bigs.

Law has his top 100 list out ($); he thinks it is a very deep, talented draft, including 5 potential #1 picks.

Crews 1 and Langford 2, who Law thinks might be a better offensive player, but not as well rounded as he has not looked good in LF.

https://theathletic.com/4584350/2023/06/06/mlb-draft-ranking-prospects-2023-crews-law/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I really like Langford, I'm to the point where I will be pretty bummed if we don't end up with him unless of course its for Crews then I wouldn't mind.

I'd be happy with any of the top five. If they try to get cute and take someone from the second tier, I probably wouldn't be happy.