08/01/2022 7:40 EDT Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

casimir

7 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Why did Hinch hang Fulmer out to dry after he gave up three hits in a row? Soto came in after the fourth hit scored two runs and preceded to shut them down in the 8th and 9th. One hitter sooner and they might have won.

Hinch has had just as bad of a season as the rest of the team...the broken is top-down, all the way through.

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess I would call that a proximate cause. Whether it rises to the level of reason is another matter. 🙄

I think the Tigers were merely trying to showcase him for trade. Fulmer just didn’t keep up his end of the bargain, and now the return for him will dwindle. Snake eyes.

I still think it’s going to be Chafin and Jimenez.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the Tigers were merely trying to showcase him for trade. Fulmer just didn’t keep up his end of the bargain, and now the return for him will dwindle. Snake eyes.

I still think it’s going to be Chafin and Jimenez.

All the reporting thus far suggests that there hasn't been much of a market for Jimenez. But who knows, maybe that changes in the next eight hours.

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

All the reporting thus far suggests that there hasn't been much of a market for Jimenez. But who knows, maybe that changes in the next eight hours.

I say Jimenez because he is arguably the best reliever on the team right now, and contending teams need help right now.

Maybe the chatter about lack of interest in Jimenez is gamesmanship to get Avila to give up Joe cheap, although all you really have to do to get Al to cave is push him to the brink of the deadline. Joe is due for a nice raise next year, probably mid-seven figures, and Baby Doc probably won't want to have to pay him that since he is already paying too many people too much money next year, so I could see Joe going at 5:59pm for a controllable guy who was a numbered prospect once but whose career has stalled in the high minors, and 50/50 as to whether it's a position player or a pitcher.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe the chatter about lack of interest in Jimenez is gamesmanship to get Avila to give up Joe cheap, although all you really have to do to get Al to cave is push him to the brink of the deadline. 

My guess is that chatter is coming from inside the house, not from outside.

It's not inconceivable that Joe may not move the needle for teams as much as we think he should. Particularly given that there isn't really a sustained track record of success... for as much as we complain about Soto, at least he's put up more consistent numbers over the years.

Edited by mtutiger