08/19/2022 7:10 EDT Los Angeles Angels at Detroit Tigers

casimir

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't listen or watch every broadcast but atleast from what I hear you never hear the announcers talk about Coolbaugh or what he is having a specific hitter work on. Like with previous coaches you'd often hear them say things like "Lloyd is having x working on doing y" or something to that effect. I never hear anything about the hitting or lack there of in regards to this regime. 

I've heard one - some talk in the booth about Coolbaugh and Candelario a couple of weeks ago. But apparently to little avail.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I thought maybe AJ would send Manning back out for the 8th since he has only 90 pitches but I can't blame him for erring on the side of caution. BTW have we had a starter all season pitch into the 8th inning? 

Skubal did once I believe 

That is where I believe Gibson has it wrong. Pitching is not like running. For most guys pitching is destructive, so pitching more may make their bodies stronger but it's going to run the clock on their arm. There may have been a pitching style 30 yrs ago where that wasn't true, but it seem to be the inescapable conclusion the way guys throw today.

If there was a way to get back to a mode of pitching that didn't destroy arms, I can't think of anything I'd rather see, but if there is any org where it's not the case today, it's ours.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just thinking out loud, with all the other reasons around out there - the live ball, the maple bats, the better hitters 1-9 putting more stress on pitchers, changes in the K zone;  I also wonder if the trend to cutting down deliveries  has had an overall effect. Back in the day a lot of guys had big windups - and I wonder if somehow on average, cutting all that down may have increased stress on arms. The big thing today is 'no wasted motion' but maybe there were reasons that motion wasn't a waste?

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, Hart said:

Earlier in the season, I think Manning would have come out after 6th.  I wonder if the Tigers are saying screw it...babying these guys as much as we have certainly has not been working.   

He only had 90 pitches. And no stress whatsoever.

I don't think innings is the issue... at least not this game and this game makes a bad comparative for the reasons above...

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He only had 90 pitches. And no stress whatsoever.

I don't think innings is the issue... at least not this game and this game makes a bad comparative for the reasons above...

He did have over 80 pithes after 6 though.  That's usually grounds for taking a young pitcher out so he ends on a positive note.  

2 hours ago, Hart said:

He did have over 80 pithes after 6 though.  That's usually grounds for taking a young pitcher out so he ends on a positive note.  

Who does that? How often?

You'd have to show me that one because stopping at 80 pitches & 6 innings sounds to me like pretty much "never".

I won't believe that one unless I can see it.

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Who does that? How often?

You'd have to show me that one because stopping at 80 pitches & 6 innings sounds to me like pretty much "never".

I won't believe that one unless I can see it.

you can look at it as just coming out of Spring Training for him again. 

Jim Leyland held Max Scherzer to roughly 6 inning starts early in his career, though Max often got to 100 pitches or more to get in 6. He held JV to 6 IP per start in his first season as well. I guess I'd be more bothered by him missing a regular start the rest of the way than whether he goes 80 or 100 pitches per start this soon on his return. Not to mention the Tigers have nothing but time for him to build his pitch count.

Edited by gehringer_2