Super Storm (August 28th). Did you lose power?

Did you lose power August 28th (wind storm)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Did you lose power?

• Yes
    • No

I feel fortunate that my neighborhood (built in the 1980's) have all underground power lines. In the 8 years living here we have never lost power. The neighborhood adjacent to mine has lost power a number of times this year alone due to storms, all above ground lines and lots of trees. Is it code now for new additions to bury all utility lines?

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I feel fortunate that my neighborhood (built in the 1980's) have all underground power lines. In the 8 years living here we have never lost power. The neighborhood adjacent to mine has lost power a number of times this year alone due to storms, all above ground lines and lots of trees. Is it code now for new additions to bury all utility lines?

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Back when we lived in Farmington Hills (13 & Haggerty) everything was underground. That was 2000-2017. The subdivision dates back to 1988 or so. Everything was underground. The only time there was a major outage was if it a substation and that only happened with the major blackout in the mid 2000’s. 

This is just saddening.

Mother of a 14-year-old girl killed by touching downed electrical line shares final moments

Kid grabbed a live wire thinking it was nothing more than a twig.  Completely innocent action with tragic consquences.

To make things worse, first responders arrived, but could do nothing until the wire was deactivated.

I simply cannot fathom.

• Sad 2

I almost kinda wish I did lose power more often so I could get a whole home generator for backup.  Feels like a waste of money now because we have been in this house for 9 years or so and lost power for a few minutes a couple times and that was it.  The first time it is a major inconvenience and we lose it for a few days I am going to wish I had a generator, but right now it feels like a waste of money.