Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Occam razor says it's the Russians and it's meant to be a threat to the new Norwegian pipeline. But if that's true is also means that Putin's regime is committed to a program from which there will be no way back into the civilized order of nations - pretty much ever ( that being the circumstance under which the pipelines have lost their value to Russia). As much as that was already practically true because of Ukraine, there was at least an internal Russian fiction that Ukraine was an internal issue. Start attacking 3rd party nation infrastructure and that's the end of that. Just another case where Putin's interpretation of Russia's future is increasingly at odds with his population's.

Also...

If Russia ever wanted to go back to Europe with gas... their hope now lies in existing Ukrainian pipelines. It now benefits Russia to take over all of Ukraine (which they can't do), NOT use nukes in Ukraine (self-explanatory), or make a quick end to this war and negotiate some kind of settlement.

The question here is who benefits the most from this new reality...?

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And my answer to that is:

Ukraine.

the logic is good enough, but it seems like a reach for Ukrainian capabilities - it would also mean the Ukrainians are basically writing off Germany as a useful ally - which I could believe.....

They said 70 meters of water, which is about 230 feet. A diver can reach that on Trimix, but it would be a long decompression, more like the kind of thing you'd do from a submarine otherwise you'll be seen loitering there. It would be easy enough to drop a depth charge from the surface but water being as dense as it is you'd have to have it come pretty close to work. Some kind of autonomous ROV that placed a charge would be my guess as most likely. Swedes say the explosions were big, which might argue it wasn't anything a diver could manage. I imagine some one is going to get a submersible down there quickly and the litter is going to yield up the true story.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:26 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

While Snowden did bring up some good points about our own government spying on us, anyone with half a brain already knew they were doing that and there was no way they'd have that kind of technology without using it.    But other than that, he can go fuck off and die with Putin.   Hope they both die an agonizing death.  

I know I'm about the only one that is somewhat sympathetic to Snowden on this site, but this is a horrible reasoning.  Because most people could reasonably speculate that the government does something it shouldn't, it's alright?  

• Confused 1

I think the Snowden thing, not him, but his situation, is an enigma for many because they have to think about what "side" they are on and who agrees with him and who doesn't before knowing what to say.  There's a little bit for everyone there.  Who wants to grind whose ax?

The funny thing about Snowden is that even with all the help, Russia is getting its ass handed to them on the battlefield.   Now Russia was able to f around in our political system for a few years before anyone noticed the rot.  A lot of that had to do with us not really thinking Russia was a threat.   

40 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The funny thing about Snowden is that even with all the help, Russia is getting its ass handed to them on the battlefield.   Now Russia was able to f around in our political system for a few years before anyone noticed the rot.  A lot of that had to do with us not really thinking Russia was a threat.   

I'm a little lost on Snowden's role in your statement here.  Are you claiming that by Snowden leaking classified information about the US illegally monitoring it's own citizens, he helped Russia?

53 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I'm a little lost on Snowden's role in your statement here.  Are you claiming that by Snowden leaking classified information about the US illegally monitoring it's own citizens, he helped Russia?

I'm sorry.  Did you miss that Snowden committed espionage by providing the Russians with sources and methods?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I'm sorry.  Did you miss that Snowden committed espionage by providing the Russians with sources and methods?

Apparently so.  He claims he destroyed all the information he had and took nothing with him and that he refused to give any information to Russia in exchange for asylum.  Is the US refuting that, formally?  I just pulled up a few old articles and again it seems like the espionage charge is in relation to the surveillance program.

Is it tied together or a separate issue in regards to Russia? 

It's looking more like it really was Russia that destroyed their own Nordstream pipelines.

Not certain what they're thinking... it's an extremely stupid move.

Now all we need to do is have Germany call an Article 4 and get the ball rolling to start a NATO discussion on what they need to actually be doing with regards to Russian belligerence.

Edited by 1984Echoes