2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

i'm not on the richardson train, but i do think he would be a great addition to their running game and a good developmental prospect for a few years down the road.  ultimately, i dont think the lions go that way.

that said, he's a better prospect than malik willis for no other reason than he's 6'4 and 240 and willis was considerably smaller.  richardson is more along the lines of justin fields than malik willis.

seeing as the lions passed on fields, they will probably pass on richardson too.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL Justin Fields completed 70% of his passes his senior year and had a career 68% completion percentage as a two year starter and he still can't throw in the NFL. 

fields is 6'3 and 220ish, size wise and running the ball they are comparable.  they both have big arms.

much more comparable than your willis comparison.

edit: LOL.

Edited by buddha
forgot to add "LOL" so as to be as obnoxious as possible.

I can't even think of a QB who was as inaccurate as Richardson and was successful. The closest one is Josh Allen who still wasn't as bad as Richardson. Michael Vick is another one and he turned out to be a 56% passer in the NFL. That was good enough when Vick played but this is a passing league and you have to be more accurate. 

7 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

What position would Wilson play? Who sits? Mazi is a nose. The Lions don't need a backup for Alim.

In my mind Mazi would move inside and play more of a standard DT than a true nose and would be best utilized to flil gaps in the middle and stop the run. Wilson would line up on the opposite side of Hutchinson and would take over the Charles Harris/John Comisky role on the defense. Hutch would be your main go to to get at the QB and his role wouldn't change much from this season. Having an athletic edge guy on the opposite side, doubling up on Hutch leaves opportunities wide open for Wilson to either stay outside and rush the edge or stunt inside, switching off with McNeil on designed plays, and get after the QB with interior pressure.

Richardson was playing with an undermanned team in the SEC with receivers who couldn't get any separation. Very few college qbs can complete passes at a high rate when their receivers can't get open. 

Fields played with NFL quality receivers in a lesser conference who gave him a broad side of a barn type window to hit which explains the disparity in completion percentage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

You're not trading. You're adding.

If you draft a QB this year that means you are likely trading Goff next year. So it isn't a one for one trade now where the rookie comes in and Goff is immediately traded. But unless you want to get into a messy situation like the 49'ers did and burn a top 10 pick on a guy who may never be your starting QB, you are committing to moving on from Goff either right away this year (2023) or next season (2024).

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you draft a QB this year that means you are likely trading Goff next year. So it isn't a one for one trade now where the rookie comes in and Goff is immediately traded. But unless you want to get into a messy situation like the 49'ers did and burn a top 10 pick on a guy who may never be your starting QB, you are committing to moving on from Goff either right away this year (2023) or next season (2024).

No see he's not saying to replace Goff but he's also saying to draft a QB but your not drafting him to be a backup. It's convoluted logic so tread lightly because he'll throw a tantrum and ignore you. 

I mentioned before what I like about Richardson is the thought of using him in RPO sets for the first couple years as sorta a change of pace qb from Goff. I think it could take the offense to even greater heights.

Of course the problem is you can't use a 1st on a guy that is only going to be doing that, if you take him with a first you have to be banking on him replacing Goff in a couple years. 

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No see he's not saying to replace Goff but he's also saying to draft a QB but your not drafting him to be a backup. It's convoluted logic so tread lightly because he'll throw a tantrum and ignore you. 

Any QB I am drafting with either of our first round picks is either my Day 1 starter or will end up starting at some point during the season or at the beginning of 2024 at the latest. There's no point to drafting a QB high in the draft if he isn't your exclusive starting QB at some point in the future. I don't care what designed packages or sets you have in mind for him. This isn't college football and switching out QB's in the NFL won't work. Even the Saints with Taysom Hill never really achieved that much success doing so. They were at their best when Brees was good and they just stuck with him.

I don't want to be the 49'ers or Packers burning a 1st on a guy who isn't even my starter. It's one thing if the player ends up being a bust, it's a whole other thing if you don't even give them the chance to be the guy.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad