2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Holmes has the picks so I think he can pull off a draft similar to this mock:

20230131_082229.thumb.jpg.8bbf43f6ba2126b5366be4ef987c9d46.jpg

You really need to factor a Beef&Cheddar in there somewhere. Possibly 3rd round. Too many Whoppers in the mix. 

(Yea, it's not the same as the others but you can't turn down the curly fries)

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

image.png.099d20a881fb3c6af5581950b02b86b8.png

This came up in my facebook feed.  The person proposing it was looking for the Jets to draft a QB.  It's an interesting idea... depending on who's on the board I would be tempted.

depends on who is left at 6.  if carter or anderson are there, i say no.

if they arent, then get it done if no one is offering you a 2024 first.

It costs a lot to get your franchise QB. When people know that's what you're doing, the price goes up very quickly. I don't think allowing the Jets to pass 2-4 QB-needy teams in the Raiders and Panthers, maybe the Falcons and Titans too, comes for a price less than a 2024 1st to start. For context, the Bears went from 20 to 11 (400-point jump) to get Fields and had to surrender a future 1st to do so (in addition to a 4th and 5th). 13 to 6 is more than that, a 450-point jump.

If the Jets call with that offer you say, "we'll get back to you" and immediately have five people make five phone calls, bidding their offer against those four teams above, as well as the Commanders. If the Jets aren't willing to give a 1st, I would sooner take the Raiders 2nd round pick and drop a single spot, guaranteeing you don't miss your guy. If that's the only offer out there, you have to consider it, but seven spots is a lot. Even assuming Carter and Anderson are gone, you have to know you may miss out on instant difference makers like your pick of Gonzalez/Porter/Witherspoon, Bijan Robinson, Tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy, and even Peter Skoronski.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 7:59 PM, RedRamage said:

image.png.099d20a881fb3c6af5581950b02b86b8.png

This came up in my facebook feed.  The person proposing it was looking for the Jets to draft a QB.  It's an interesting idea... depending on who's on the board I would be tempted.

The Jets need to give at least a 2024 1st or GTFO. No way am I taking that big a drop and not getting a 1st out of it.

Edited by NYLion

The Lions can't trade the 6th pick, don't you know this is the last chance in the history of civilation for them to draft a franchise QB? - or so goes the drum beat on Det sports radio. LOL, I suppose Holmes could do a complete 180 after chasing Goff across the country twice, but I'm not putting any money on it. 🏈

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’ve got interest in almost all of these players.   Really like Torrance, Benton, and Kelly.  Intrigued by Benton, Brooks, and Spears.  

I'm a BGSU alum...Karl Brooks was one of the few bright spots on our team.  He lined up inside and out and absolutely terrorized QB's.  Would love to see him in Detroit.  

So far as 2024 goes...we had a WR from the Detroit area named Tyrone Broden xfer out to Arkansas. 6-7 with sub 4.5 speed and a monster catch radius. Our head coach is a moron (Scot Loeffler) or we might have targeted him enough to get him to stay.  Broden will get some NFL looks next year

My Mock Draft 2.1

1. Carolina Panthers (Trade w/ CHI): Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

3. Arizona Cardinals: Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech

4. Indianapolis Colts: CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

5. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

6. Detroit Lions (from LAR): Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

7. Las Vegas Raiders: Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson

8. Atlanta Falcons: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

9. Chicago Bears (Trade w/ CAR): Peter Skoronski, OL, Northwestern

10. Philadelphia Eagles: Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame

11. Tennessee Titans: Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

12. Houston Texans (from CLE): Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

13. New York Jets: Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama

14. New England Patriots: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

15. Green Bay Packers: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

16. Washington Commanders: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland

18. Detroit Lions: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

20. Seattle Seahawks: Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa

21. Los Angeles Chargers: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

22. Baltimore Ravens: Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

23. Minnesota Vikings: Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina 

24. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jordan Addison, WR, USC

25. New York Giants: Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee

26. Dallas Cowboys: O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

27. Buffalo Bills: Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

28. Cincinnati Bengals: Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia

29. New Orleans Saints (from DEN thru SF): Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

30. Philadelphia Eagles: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

31. Kansas City Chiefs: Tuli Tuipuloto, EDGE, USC

Lions

2.18 - Antonio Johnson, DB, Texas A&M

2.26 - Cody Mauch, OG, North Dakota State

3.18 - Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

5.18 - Dante Stills, DT, West Virginia

6.5 (from DEN) - Jake Moody, K, Michigan

6.18 - Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Could fate change and make the Lions that lucky that in back-to-back years teams make stupid decisions and pass on the most talented player for the most athletic one? If we got Will Anderson at #6 I'd say we already won the 1st round of the draft regardless of what we do next.

I think if three QBs go in the top five there is a 50/50 or better chance that one of Carter/Anderson is sitting for us.

And IMO it would make it three straight years of the perfect prospect for us falling into our laps, so maybe too much to ask for.

49 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think if three QBs go in the top five there is a 50/50 or better chance that one of Carter/Anderson is sitting for us.

And IMO it would make it three straight years of the perfect prospect for us falling into our laps, so maybe too much to ask for.

I think in that scenario the NFL would admit that they got the Sehawks/Rams game wrong with officiating, declare the Rams the winner instead, and move the Lions pick back 2 slots LOL.

In all seriousness, I think there is a better than at least 40%  chance that between the current teams and a team trading up, 3 QBs could go in the top 5. That is the best scenario for us IMO if we aren't planning on taking a QB ourselves, which I don't think we are.

The question then becomes, who do we want as lions fans between Anderson playing on the end/edge and Carter in the interior? More importantly, who would Brad Holmes and the staff want? I would personally rather have Anderson all day over Carter if given the choice. Anderson is a Bosa brothers/Chase Young-like pass rusher and can set the other edge, opposite Hutch, to get at the QB. Having two guys with double digit QB sack, hurry, and pressure potential on opposing ends of the line makes the entire defense better. It also improves our ability to set the edge as a means to contain both in the running game and against mobile QBs moving outside like Fields, Mahomes, Jackson, all of whom we are slated to play next year. Drafting Anderson, assuming he lives up to his potential and isn't a Jadeveon  Clowney 2.0, instantly gives us one of the best lines in football.

if carter's off field attitude issues are real, the lions may not want him.

i think its more like 80% that neither carter nor anderson are there at 6.  both certainly will not be.

those two are rated as elite talents, maybe the only elite talents in the draft.  arizona, seattle, and chicago are not likely to pass on them.

i can see chicago trade down to 4, qbs go 1-2, then the lions will need to decide if they want to trade up to 3 to get one of them.  

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

if carter's off field attitude issues are real, the lions may not want him.

i think its more like 80% that neither carter nor anderson are there at 6.  both certainly will not be.

those two are rated as elite talents, maybe the only elite talents in the draft.  arizona, seattle, and chicago are not likely to pass on them.

i can see chicago trade down to 4, qbs go 1-2, then the lions will need to decide if they want to trade up to 3 to get one of them.  

Do you think Cardinal's scenario could also be true though that there is a greater than 50% chance 3 QBs are taken in the top 5?