2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When we start winning next year and win our first playoff game in 100 years we can finally enjoy the postseason and have that be our favorite time of year.

i cant wait until they fail on three third downs in a row and you come on here and demand that campbell be fired...

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll only complain if the defense falls apart again and they decide to fire the DLine Coach instead of the Coordinator.

Seriously? Campbell fired AP and suddenly the defense gave up 50 yards less per game for the rest of the season, doubled their takeaway rate from six in seven games to 16 in the last ten games, and reduced points against from 32.1 before to 20.2 after. This is even with that abomination in Carolina. What more do you want? AG to get drawn and quartered at the 50 yard line?

Not only was this team deficient in player talent, they were deficient in coaching talent. Campbell (with an assist from Spielman) fixed this, bringing in a massive influx of experienced coaches. Not all of them fit, just like Michael Brockers didn't fit. So you tweak your team, which is what Campbell has done both years. It is working. Regardless of ultimatums put out there by fans, which I'm sure MCDC finds terrifying.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

The Lions are in more of a draft a guy to groom him (3rd day) than find a franchise QB (1st rd) mode.

groom for what?  to hold a clipboard?  third day guys almost never pan out.

if you think a qb in this lot can be a future star, take him at 6.  they likely wont be there after that.

27 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The starter is 28 and has taken a team to the Super Bowl...so yeah, draft a guy to hold a clipboard and become the back up.  With so many holes on defense to fill, it would be silly to draft a QB that high

Even if they had backed into a top three spot and Bryce Young was available, I wouldn’t want them to take him given what we’ve seen tiny Tua go through. They don’t have NFL frames. 

46 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The starter is 28 and has taken a team to the Super Bowl...so yeah, draft a guy to hold a clipboard and become the back up.  With so many holes on defense to fill, it would be silly to draft a QB that high

just sign a journeyman.  you'll get better production if he has to play in a game and he'll likely be better holding the clipboard too.

want a qb?  take one in rounds one or two.

I don't believe that either Jalen Carter or Will Anderson will be there when the Lions pick at #7. I'm also unsure that Myles Murphy will be available. One guy that I'm really interested in though is Tyree Wilson out of Texas Tech. Looking at all the teams that made the AFC/NFC Championship games they all have multiple game wreckers up on the defensive front 4. I'm of the opinion that a dominate front 4 can make your back 7 and/or your secondary look a lot better. My pre-combine view of a guy like Wilson is that he has the size, strength, length, and versatility to be a dominate DE/Edge guy in this league. 61 tackles, 14 TFL, and 7 sacks were his senior year numbers at Texas Tech, so the production is clearly there.

The Draft Network: Tyree Wilson Scouting Report

8 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

They just drafted Paschel, and he pretty much plays the same position. Plus Romeo, Houston and Harris. Not saying they couldn't make it work, but that would be quite a few resources at one position when when they have so many other needs on defense.

Tyree Wilson has the opportunity to have a Travon Walker-esque climb through the process. I wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake one of the two unanimous top defenders right now... He doesn't have the production of Anderson or the flash of Carter, but (like Walker) his athleticism and analytics are off the charts. Of the three names you mentioned, they could cut R.Okwara and Harris on June 1st and it wouldn't surprise me at all... That would be $17MM in combined freed cap space ($11MM in Okwara and $6MM in Harris). I would actually be more surprised if they didn't cut R.Okwara.

I think Paschal is a little more versatile than you give him credit for. He could put on a little weight and slide to 3-tech in just one offseason. All three of Hutch, Paschal, and Wilson (or Anderson, or Murphy) could definitely both be on the field at the same time, with Paschal on the inside of either edge. Wilson (and Murphy) are more of a hand-in-the-dirt style of physical edge than Hutch (or Anderson), but it doesn't exclude them from lining up next to Paschal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

They just drafted Paschel, and he pretty much plays the same position. Plus Romeo, Houston and Harris. Not saying they couldn't make it work, but that would be quite a few resources at one position when when they have so many other needs on defense.

When you look at the top two teams in the league for QB sacks, pressures, and ability to get after the QB, they are the two teams playing in the Super Bowl, Philly #1 and KC #2. The Eagles had 4 guys along with double digit sack totals, the Chiefs only had one in Chris Jones. But what these teams understand is that you can never put enough pressure on opposing QBs and that being able to get after a QB makes your defensive backfield look better too. Look at the game yesterday, the Chiefs were starting two rookies I believe at corner and it didn't effect them because Chris Jones and that defensive front were monsters going after Burrow.

If we can have a three-headed pass rush monster with Hutch/Houston/Wilson up front I am all about that. Just as Paschel has versatility to slide along the line I believe Wilson, given his extreme athleticism lengthy body structure, can do the same. You can never have too many pass rushers in today's pass happy NFL.

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

Never draft for need. You don't pass up on a high upside D-lineman because you have two guys who might even be cut casualties on the roster and a guy who is just entering his 2nd season still relatively unproven. Not to mention Paschal who could hardly even get on the field last season.

They have the luxury of 5 relatively high draft picks so they can afford to either take BPA regardless of position (as long as it's not a 1st round tight end) or consolidate the picks to trade up for an impact player like they did with Jamo last season.

Also, if you look at the teams that have gone far in the playoffs, there's two areas where they have strengths, QB and defensive line. Teams with real depth on the defensive line tend to be successful. If they take Wilson or Murphy at 6, they have many other picks to address the defensive backfield then there's also free agency. Take BPA, unless it's a tight end.