2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Picking up a premier starting offensive lineman would be productive both for now and the future.

The offensive philosophy starts with and relies on the strength of the offensive line. Decker is signed through 2024, but that 2025 offseason is right about the time we are going to be needing to re-sign a lot of our Holmes picks, including Sewell and ASB. We may not be able to keep a 32yo Decker. If we pick up a Skoronski or Steen that could be an immediate plug-and-play option at RG now, and slide to RT in the next few years while Sewell slides to LT, it could make a lot of sense.

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id be fine with a guard at 18 if that's who is at the top of their board. Yes OL is a strength and we have more pressing needs but you can improve just as easily by making a strength even better as you can by making a weakness better.

Unless your strength is to the point where there is no improving it but the O line namely guard isn't to that point. 

I think RG is already a weakness. Brown will probably go elsewhere for a chance to start at Center. And even if they keep Vaitai, who knows if he will make it through the season.

They probably won’t keep both, so they’ll need someone who can start at RG and probably backup Ragnow. 

Guys (positions) I'd like to get in the top 2 or 3 rounds:

Pass-Rushing DT (3-technique like Carter, or a DE who could swing inside on passing downs, like Murphy or Wilson or Andre Carter II).

OG (either for depth behind Vaitai or as a replacement starter...)

Starting quality CB

Coverage or sideline-to-sideline LB'er. Eventual starter quality if not immediate.

Primary backup RB. I don't care if it's Bijan, Jahmyr, or a Charbonnet/ Tank Bigsly type... I'll let Holmes sort that out.... I just want one more high end guy for our RB stable.

Safety. Could become eventual starter or primary backup... but I'd like another high end talent in that room for depth.

A QB if Holmes decides he likes a guy and we spend a pick on one. If he doesn't, I'll just move on. If he expends a pick on a QB in the 1st 3 rounds... I'll get on the bandwagon.

We (Holmes) will be easily able to utilize extra high round picks if the Panthers do indeed panic and trade up into our spot... IMO.

Edited by 1984Echoes

51 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Picking up a premier starting offensive lineman would be productive both for now and the future.

The offensive philosophy starts with and relies on the strength of the offensive line. Decker is signed through 2024, but that 2025 offseason is right about the time we are going to be needing to re-sign a lot of our Holmes picks, including Sewell and ASB. We may not be able to keep a 32yo Decker. If we pick up a Skoronski or Steen that could be an immediate plug-and-play option at RG now, and slide to RT in the next few years while Sewell slides to LT, it could make a lot of sense.

Usually after year 3 is where you start extending your draft picks. Barring something unforeseen, I imagine Sewell and St Brown will get big contracts next offseason. You also may want to extend McNeil as well and he doesn't have a 5th year option. 

Here are key off season dates. 

Feb. 21-March 7: Teams may use the franchise or transition tag on impending unrestricted free agents.

Feb. 28-March 6: NFL Scouting Combine (Indianapolis)

March 7: Colleges may begin hosting pro days.

March 13 (noon) through March 15 (3:59 p.m.): Clubs may enter contract negotiations with impending unrestricted free agents. Contracts may not be executed until the start of the new league year at 4 p.m. on March 15.

March 15 (prior to 4 p.m.): Clubs must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents. If a qualifying offer is not extended, those players will become unrestricted free agents at the start of the new league year.

March 15 (prior to 4 p.m.): All teams must be under the 2023 salary cap.

March 15 (4 p.m.): The 2023 NFL league year begins. Unrestricted free agent contracts and trades agreed to prior to the start of the new league year can be executed.

March 26-29: Annual League Meeting (Phoenix)

April 3: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the 2022 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 27-29: NFL Draft (Kansas City)

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I want the Panthers to panic for a QB and give us a boatload of picks to drop from #6 to #9.

By the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart, the difference between 6 and 9 is 250 points. Carolina's #61 pick is worth a bit under 300. Sure Jimmy Johnson is old news, but I doubt Detroit would get much more than 9 and 61 for pick 6. 

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

By the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart, the difference between 6 and 9 is 250 points. Carolina's #61 pick is worth a bit under 300. Sure Jimmy Johnson is old news, but I doubt Detroit would get much more than 9 and 61 for pick 6. 

It depends. If Levis is there, and that's who they're obviously wanting, you might be able to bid them against the Raiders, Titans, and Commanders and drive up the price. Teams can't usually move up for a franchise QB without surrendering significant capital. Not to mention, for "just" a second round pick, I have to weigh whether it's worth the possibility that the Raiders or Falcons take my preferred player before #9.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It depends. If Levis is there, and that's who they're obviously wanting, you might be able to bid them against the Raiders, Titans, and Commanders and drive up the price. Teams can't usually move up for a franchise QB without surrendering significant capital. Not to mention, for "just" a second round pick, I have to weigh whether it's worth the possibility that the Raiders or Falcons take my preferred player before #9.

Maybe, but Detroit won’t be the only potential trade partner. Every team ahead of Detroit except Houston might trade back. 

Valenti and Rico were dogging out Big Ten Corners on yesterday's show saying they don't play any real QBs or passing attack offenses in the Big Ten outside of Ohio State and Maryland. I disagree with them in the thought that the play and experience from a Big Ten CB won't translate to Sundays in the NFL.

In my uneducated opinion though, I disagree with what Valenti and Rico were saying about Big Ten CBs. While I think Witherspoon is probably gone by the time we pick at 18, I like what I've watched from Joey Porter Jr. and would be just as happy to get him as I would Witherspoon. Porter is a tall Corner at 6'2 and is rangy with a long wingspan and good speed to be able to keep up with NFL WRs.  He's got all the measurables and intangibles you can't teach and enough talent to be molded into a solid starter I feel.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/joey-porter-jr-3518bfad-5043-4113-bb01-6745e47f45e0/

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Joey-PorterJr-CB-PennState

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

That was the knock on Okudah by some—that playing in the Big 10 wasn’t as challenging or the best test.

Jc Jackson and ward were both on nfl.com's top 10 corner back list heading into the season. Both big 10 guys

3 sec

3 acc guys

I don't think you can read too much into whether conference impacts a groups ability to succeed as that is a pretty even distribution 

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Valenti and Rico were dogging out Big Ten Corners on yesterday's show saying they don't play any real QBs or passing attack offenses in the Big Ten outside of Ohio State and Maryland. I disagree with them in the thought that the play and experience from a Big Ten CB won't translate to Sundays in the NFL.

In my uneducated opinion though, I disagree with what Valenti and Rico were saying about Big Ten CBs. While I think Witherspoon is probably gone by the time we pick at 18, I like what I've watched from Joey Porter Jr. and would be just as happy to get him as I would Witherspoon. Porter is a tall Corner at 6'2 and is rangy with a long wingspan and good speed to be able to keep up with NFL WRs.  He's got all the measurables and intangibles you can't teach and enough talent to be molded into a solid starter I feel.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/joey-porter-jr-3518bfad-5043-4113-bb01-6745e47f45e0/

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Joey-PorterJr-CB-PennState

Granted, we're only seeing the highlights... but what I did like in that video was Porter was often looking back at the QB while running with a receiver.

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Keep this kid in mind for the Lions. Tulane RB Tyjae Spears. This guy is fast, shifty, has great hands, runs routes like a WR.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tyjae-Spears-RB-Tulane

3rd down back.  theo riddick type.  might end up as a slot reciever because he cant block and cant run between the tackles.  later round pick.

#debbiedowner

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

3rd down back.  theo riddick type.  might end up as a slot reciever because he cant block and cant run between the tackles.  later round pick.

#debbiedowner

I will not say it . . .

I will not say it . . .

I will no . . . What if he's the next Darren Sproles with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so he probably is not. But I still like what I see out of Spears and him possibly being a 5th/6th round pick for us.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

#debbiedowner

If you are going to use pass blocking as a key component in rating these RB’s then make sure to cross Gibbs, Charbonnet, Corum, Achane, and pretty much every other skill back off your list too.

Edited by Hongbit

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I will not say it . . .

I will not say it . . .

I will no . . . What if he's the next Darren Sproles with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so he probably is not. But I still like what I see out of Spears and him possibly being a 5th/6th round pick for us.

He had a very good Senior Bowl and is trending up.  He’s in the discussion for 2nd or 3rd back taken so I don’t think he lasts that late unless there are issues outside the lines.  

35 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If you are going to use pass blocking as a key component in rating these RB’s then make sure to cross Gibbs, Charbonnet, Corum, Achane, and pretty much every other skill back off your list too.

blake corum cant run between the tackles?