2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Much of this debate has to do with what percentage someone puts on Goff having another year like he had this year.

I’m definitely over 50% but I want to see another year to put me in that range where I’m really confident that he’s the QB for the long term.  

I don’t see it as a big deal if others aren’t sold yet.   He’s under what has now become a really nice contract for next year based on his potential production.  Let him do it again for another year and then we can extend him and anoint him QB of the future.   Drafting a QB now or not, doesn’t change any of that.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Richardson was playing with an undermanned team in the SEC with receivers who couldn't get any separation. Very few college qbs can complete passes at a high rate when their receivers can't get open. 

Fields played with NFL quality receivers in a lesser conference who gave him a broad side of a barn type window to hit which explains the disparity in completion percentage.

Goff completed 60% of his passes on a 1-11 Cal team. Scanning that roser and it looks like the  only NFL talent at receiver was Richard Rodgers. 

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mentioned before what I like about Richardson is the thought of using him in RPO sets for the first couple years as sorta a change of pace qb from Goff. I think it could take the offense to even greater heights.

Of course the problem is you can't use a 1st on a guy that is only going to be doing that, if you take him with a first you have to be banking on him replacing Goff in a couple years. 

that's what i was thinking too.  the problem is - like you said - using a #1 pick on that guy.

you only do it if you think he's the second coming of josh allen.  i think that's probably unlikely so i dont think they do it 

that said, i think it isnt the "same ol lions" to take him.  if this regime took him, i think it would be with a specific plan in place for him this year and in the future.  this isnt watne fontes taking andre ware because of his super high college numbers in a rigged system, it would be a thought out process to use richardson's skills to benefit the team's offense next year and in the future.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Much of this debate has to do with what percentage someone puts on Goff having another year like he had this year.

I’m definitely over 50% but I want to see another year to put me in that range where I’m really confident that he’s the QB for the long term.  

I don’t see it as a big deal if others aren’t sold yet.   He’s under what has now become a really nice contract for next year based on his potential production.  Let him do it again for another year and then we can extend him and anoint him QB of the future.   Drafting a QB now or not, doesn’t change any of that.  

It does change that because if you burn a 1st round pick this year on a QB, you can't just go to Goff next year and say yeah we always believed you were our guy, sign an extension. if Goff does, you then spent a 1st rounder on a backup QB. 

It's not a big deal if people aren't sold on Goff. It's weird though when someone wants to draft Richardson but doesn't want to replace Goff, essentially making Richardson the backup, but you don't want that either but backup QB is one of the team's biggest needs. That aside, I have a low opinion of Richardson because I think people are just enamored with his physical ability when he hasn't proven he can actually play the position.  I mean it's cool he can throw a deep pass with ease with no pads or a pass rush or a covered receiver. It's like the Malik Willis tape from last year when fans through out the idea of him being drafted 2nd and he didn't go until the 3rd round. 

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nfl.com put out their new mock and they have us taking Witherspoon at 6 and Trent Simpson LB out of Clemson at 18. I love Witherspoon but really haven't paid much attention to Simpson but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting somebody to put next to Rodrigo.

Simpson is a do it all. He's a kitchen sink, a very good player. I need to know what he runs.

I’m not opposed to the top corner at #6 if you see someone who could make a Sauce Gardner type impact. As of today I don’t see that in Gonzalez or Witherspoon.

If that kind of difference maker isn’t there, I don’t think there is any reason to pick a corner before at least the second 2nd round pick. There are 10-15 starting corners in this draft. They’re going to slide and there will be great value to find.

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nfl.com put out their new mock and they have us taking Witherspoon at 6 and Trent Simpson LB out of Clemson at 18. I love Witherspoon but really haven't paid much attention to Simpson but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting somebody to put next to Rodrigo.

If Myles Murphy is not available at #6... I'm becoming more open to this line of thinking.

If they pass on Carter due to motivation issues and culture fit, and deem Bresee too much of an injury risk and Tyree Wilson as a lesser tier guy...

Maybe they fall in love with Gonzalez or Porter or whomever as "their kind of guy" and as a perfect fit for the team...

I might talk myself into this...

Simpson btw is a blazer iirc... I think he runs 4.4-ish and has good hips (not stiff where he's slow to turn or make adjustments...). A sideline-to-sideline guy...

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Myles Murphy is not available at #6... I'm becoming more open to this line of thinking.

If they pass on Carter due to motivation issues and culture fit, and deem Bresee too much of an injury risk and Tyree Wilson as a lesser tier guy...

Maybe they fall in love with Gonzalez or Porter or whomever as "their kind of guy" and as a perfect fit for the team...

I might talk myself into this...

Simpson btw is a blazer iirc... I think he runs 4.4-ish and has good hips (not stiff where he's slow to turn or make adjustments...). A sideline-to-sideline guy...

Simpson sounds like the type of guy that could make an immediate impact on the defense, those are the players I'm looking for since we're so close to taking that next step. 

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

If you draft him in the 1st round, he needs to be the starting QB by year 3. Goff is only under contract for two years and he probably isn't going to want to re-sign with the Lions because he has to constantly look over his shoulder. It would be the same situation as the Rams. 

This makes me think of the Trey Lance situation. I can't believe the 49ers are surviving the debacle of their massive trade up to get him, his inability to beat out Garoppolo, them hanging Jimmy G out to dry then having to go crawling back to him when Lance went down after a few inauspicious starts, then having Mr. Irrelevant bail them out, looking like the second coming of Tom Brady. Are you kidding me? The ghost of Bill Walsh is up there calling in favors. 

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It does change that because if you burn a 1st round pick this year on a QB, you can't just go to Goff next year and say yeah we always believed you were our guy, sign an extension. if Goff does, you then spent a 1st rounder on a backup QB. 

Neither of us know how Goff would take it.   Personally, I think If he has another nice year, we could go to him with a fat multi year extension with a shit ton of guaranteed money and he’d happily sign it and be the face of the franchise.    

37 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

This makes me think of the Trey Lance situation. I can't believe the 49ers are surviving the debacle of their massive trade up to get him, his inability to beat out Garoppolo, them hanging Jimmy G out to dry then having to go crawling back to him when Lance went down after a few inauspicious starts, then having Mr. Irrelevant bail them out, looking like the second coming of Tom Brady. Are you kidding me? The ghost of Bill Walsh is up there calling in favors. 

edit: nevermind, misread your post.

Edited by buddha

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Neither of us know how Goff would take it.   Personally, I think If he has another nice year, we could go to him with a fat multi year extension with a shit ton of guaranteed money and he’d happily sign it and be the face of the franchise.    

Or, he could sign elsewhere, and the Lions could get an extra 3rd round comp pick. Fwiw, check out how many comp picks the 49ers have this year. Unreal.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:34 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Richardson was playing with an undermanned team in the SEC with receivers who couldn't get any separation. Very few college qbs can complete passes at a high rate when their receivers can't get open. 

Fields played with NFL quality receivers in a lesser conference who gave him a broad side of a barn type window to hit which explains the disparity in completion percentage.

I watched plenty of Richardson. He made a lot of bad throws especially in the intermediate range when he would throw a fireball when touch was required and some of those instances were open receivers.

If you draft him, it's a loooong term project in terms of developing an NFL passer and chances are that long amount of time invested in developing his passing ability won't pay off. The more likely scenario is that he turns out to be like a Taysom Hill that can be used in specific running packages but isn't giving you much value in the passing game. Granted, he has a bigger arm than Hill but the point remains.

With that said, maybe I'm wrong and he's the next Jalen Hurts. I certainly didn't expect Hurts to turn into what he did.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Drafting Michael Mayer TE/Notre Dame at #6 overall is one sure way that Brad Holmes could ruin the offseason for Lions fans.

sheeeeeeeit i'd rather have them draft bijan at 6.  and that's much more likely than them drafting a tight end.