2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Hockenson with Minnesota was on pace for 102 catches over a full season but only 880 yards. Only about 8 yards per reception. His catch percentage was up almost 10% in Minnesota. My guess is Minnesota used him for the short little dump offs while the Lions wanted him to be more of a downfield threat in the middle of the field. 

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

for everyone's sanity, I would not give any credence to any mock that shows us selecting a TE in the first round.

Spoil sport! What are we supposed to do for the next three months other than rage at nonsensical mocks and then make our own slightly more sensical mocks that still aren't going to happen?

Bryan Bresee is a name to keep an eye on in the 2nd round. I know the know-nothing mock above had him at #8, but I've seen him in mocks go as late as the 2nd and even mid-3rd round. He hasn't gone a full season healthy in college, had a great freshman season anyway in 2020, and was on his way to another, but has done nothing but regress since tearing his ACL in 2021 and then having some truly tragic family issues (his 15yo sister died of cancer) at the beginning of this past season.

It's understandable why he wouldn't be focused on football, but he's definitely a candidate to see his stock plummet in the lead-up, depending on his measurables and the physical.

2020: 23 tackles and 4 sacks in 11 games

2021: 13 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 4 games

2022: 15 tackles and 3.5 sacks in 10 games

Depending on their scouting and belief in coaching him back to what he was, he may be a candidate for the Lions to go get in the 2nd round. Ceiling seems to be as a good to elite defensive tackle, but the floor has bust written all over it.

45 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Bryan Bresee is a name to keep an eye on in the 2nd round. I know the know-nothing mock above had him at #8, but I've seen him in mocks go as late as the 2nd and even mid-3rd round. He hasn't gone a full season healthy in college, had a great freshman season anyway in 2020, and was on his way to another, but has done nothing but regress since tearing his ACL in 2021 and then having some truly tragic family issues (his 15yo sister died of cancer) at the beginning of this past season.

It's understandable why he wouldn't be focused on football, but he's definitely a candidate to see his stock plummet in the lead-up, depending on his measurables and the physical.

Depending on their scouting and belief in coaching him back to what he was, he may be a candidate for the Lions to go get in the 2nd round. Ceiling seems to be as a good to elite defensive tackle, but the floor has bust written all over it.

Will come down to the medical.  This is a super talented kid that was the #1 overall recruit in the country coming out of high school. His testing numbers at some of the all-star camps as high school kid were off the charts.   He absolutely lived up to the hype as a Freshman and then had his injury struggles.  There’s a lot of physical tools and he’s still so young that I can’t imagine he makes it out of 1st.   If the medicals are that bad to drop him, then I’m not sure why he wouldn’t free fall all the way into day 3 range.   

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He won't make it to the second round if he's healthy. If he's not healthy, who knows!

I would expect Bresee to clear his medical just fine and then put up good-not-great numbers at the combine, as he seems to have done his senior season. I've read some reports as well that he's gained weight in his senior year. If he blows everyone's socks off in a complete 180 return to form, he will go high day one. If he shows up injured, he will likely be a day three flyer. I expect somewhere in between.

I don't think the question will be his health on February 27th, it will what his status will be in weeks one, five, nine, and fourteen of an NFL season, and that's something the combine can't tell you. He has shown the ability to be healthy enough to play, but hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy and at the top of his game.

DT can be so fickle. Levi played nearly every one of his games in college, then comes here with a seemingly unknown back injury that puts him into very likely bust territory. I don't think Bresee is Levi 2.0, but he's also probably not someone you can count on for 17+ games. Proceed with immense caution.

From a pure talent standpoint, the difference between Levi and Bresee is huge.   Bresee has a much higher ceiling.  

I’m still very interested in him at 6 and will wait to see if the workouts or medicals change my mind.  I do also put some value in being a Clemson DL as they’ve done a nice job of putting many quality guys in the league recently.  

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'd probably prefer Joey Porter Jr. given his size, insane arm length, and ball skills. But if we went Edge/Corner I'd be very happy with that.

i'd prefer porter because he actually likes to tackle and be physical.  but i wouldnt be too upset if they got gonzalez.  just as long as they get a corner somewhere.

i'd really rather have witherspoon.

I’m not sure why any corner would choose to play in the Pac-12.  The game is officiated so differently between what’s called in the SEC and B1G.   Any physical play becomes a flag and it seems to inhibit guys developing good ball and cover skills.  It’s really noticeable if you spend time watching the league.  I’d take a some of these guys with later round picks for sure but I’m not sure that I’d ever spend a 1st round pick on Pac-12 corner.   They would have to be super special and have plays that jump off the tape.  

Edited by Hongbit

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Among all the silly Mayer talk, interesting that Jeremiah only has him rated 3rd right now.  

I think each of the guys in the top 3 prospects could be real solid NFL players. Kincaid in particular looked real good in the Pac 12 Championship game I watched against USC and he posted career numbers I believe. But given the needs all over the defense we have, the fact that good TEs are found all over the draft, and this organization's prior history with TE busts, I'm not touching any one of the top 3 guys in the first two rounds.

I think my pre-combine big board for each of the two first round picks looks something like this.

Pick #6:

1. Will Anderson/DE

2. Jalen Carter/DT

3. Bryce Young/QB

4. Myles Murphy/DE

5. Tyree Wilson/DE

Pick #18:

1. Joey Porter Jr./CB

2. Devon Witherspoon/CB

3. Christian Gonzalez/CB

4. Drew Sanders/LB

5. Cam Smith/CB

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think my pre-combine big board for each of the two first round picks looks something like this.

Pick #6:

1. Will Anderson/DE

2. Jalen Carter/DT

3. Bryce Young/QB

4. Myles Murphy/DE

5. Tyree Wilson/DE

Pick #18:

1. Joey Porter Jr./CB

2. Devon Witherspoon/CB

3. Christian Gonzalez/CB

4. Drew Sanders/LB

5. Cam Smith/CB

i would be surprised if porter, witherspoon, or gonzalez are there at 18.

ive sort of changed my mind on bryce young.  i think he's too small and is going to get beat up and injured too easily in the pros.  i'd rather have stroud if they want a qb or richardson if they want a mutant hybrid, anti-buckeye bias notwithstanding.

I think Stroud is the safest bet at qb but I just don't see him having this super high ceiling, to me he is the type of guy who would top out at what Goff gave you this year whereas guys like Levis, Young and Richardson may have higher bust potential(especially Levis and Richardson) but they all do have some uber traits that can make them franchise changing superstars if things do go right.