22-23 Regular Season Thread

They looked good today. Better than I can remember in the longest time on Power Play, power play entries, overall puck control and passing and overall defensive philosophy (not perfect, but a lot better than in recent memory, read: Blashill) and it appears defensive talent as well... (it's early, but Hronek is +5 in 5 games?!?! That's a huge turnaround for him I'm going to guess is Lalonde's D philosophy, a demand for D effort... and D partner (I'm calling it as Maata helping Hronek here...)), plus depth of talent.

I'm certain there will be ups and down this year...

But it looks like we are making the first step back towards contending for the playoffs again.

54 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They looked good today. Better than I can remember in the longest time on Power Play, power play entries, overall puck control and passing and overall defensive philosophy (not perfect, but a lot better than in recent memory, read: Blashill) and it appears defensive talent as well... (it's early, but Hronek is +5 in 5 games?!?! That's a huge turnaround for him I'm going to guess is Lalonde's D philosophy, a demand for D effort... and D partner (I'm calling it as Maata helping Hronek here...)), plus depth of talent.

I'm certain there will be ups and down this year...

But it looks like we are making the first step back towards contending for the playoffs again.

I have wanted to see them try to play faster and so far they are having success pressuring the puck that way. Of course we'll see how or it they are able to do it against the faster teams in the league like maybe Denver or whether they just get run to exhaustion with no good results. But in the NHL you don't have to be able to beat the best teams to at least get to the playoffs.

Edited by gehringer_2

they look better on the pk and pp.  perron and kubalik have added that shot to the pp that's hard to stop.  

you see the energy on the pk you didnt see last year.  they seem to be pressing higher and more effectively.

sundqvist has been a real good addition to this team.  dare i say he's been more valuable than nick leddy all by himself, much less with the coming draft pick and potential for waldman.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 5:24 AM, buddha said:

they are better than last year, for sure.

but they've also played a really easy schedule.  let's see how they look when the other good teams come to town.  to me, they still look like the 7th best team in their own division.

cough...

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

road game against buffalo should be a decent measuring stick for them.  too bad they arent very healthy.

Apart from the 4-2-2 record, I don’t feel great about the team right now. Missing Vrana and Bertuzzi is a big hole to fill - only Larkin and Kubalik have more than 5 points.  

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Apart from the 4-2-2 record, I don’t feel great about the team right now. Missing Vrana and Bertuzzi is a big hole to fill - only Larkin and Kubalik have more than 5 points.  

So far I'd rate Soderblom, Chairot, Kubelik, Copp and Maata as all better than the guys whose ice time they have replaced. Vrana has hardly played for the Wings so in term of the comparison to last season they are basically down Bert  - but on balance I think still better a better team than last season even with him out. Of course that was not a very good team so the bar is low on that question! 

I'm a little curious about what LaLonde might get out of Givani Smith. Seems under Blashill he was pretty much under orders to just go hit people. The other night night he looked to be playing a little more of a skill game as a forechecker and didn't look bad.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So far I'd rate Soderblom, Chairot, Kubelik, Copp and Maata as all better than the guys whose ice time they have replaced. Vrana has hardly played for the Wings so in term of the comparison to last season they are basically down Bert  - but on balance I think still better a better team than last season even with him out....

That sounds about right...

Add in Husso as better than who played his ice time last year. If that infringes on some of Ned's games played... then... my statement remains the same.