22-23 Regular Season Thread

I still think the trade is pretty great, Mantha is a little better than a .5 ppg player in Washington and we know he isn't a defensive wizard.  Mantha and Vrana have actually both scored the same amount of goals (22) despite Vrana playing 52 less games than Mantha.  Now I know being able to play/be available is a skill and valuable but you throw in the picks they got and I say that it was still a worthwhile move to make; though it is  unfortunate with how Vrana is turning out.  Plus they got Panik which got them Leddy who turned into Sundqvist and Walman + a 2nd to wash out giving up a second with Panik.  I think both players' contracts expire after next season too so they probably get less for Mantha today if he were with the Wings still.  Unless you think the Wings could have discovered whatever is affecting Vrana ahead of the trade I'm not sure how much you can knock Yzerman for trying it.

5 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Whatever it is must not be good.

meh - we don't really know. Maybe he understands that for whatever reasons he's not ready for the pressure of being back in the NHL. Considering the worst case - If it were an outright relapse situation he wouldn't be staying at GR either.

the fact that he cleared is either a 3d chess level move from yzerman kmowing that nobody would take the cap hit for damaged goods, or the rest of the league knows what the issue is now and wouldnt touch him because of it.

i choose to believe its because yzerman is a gambling genius.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

I still think the trade is pretty great, Mantha is a little better than a .5 ppg player in Washington and we know he isn't a defensive wizard.  Mantha and Vrana have actually both scored the same amount of goals (22) despite Vrana playing 52 less games than Mantha.  Now I know being able to play/be available is a skill and valuable but you throw in the picks they got and I say that it was still a worthwhile move to make; though it is  unfortunate with how Vrana is turning out.  Plus they got Panik which got them Leddy who turned into Sundqvist and Walman + a 2nd to wash out giving up a second with Panik.  I think both players' contracts expire after next season too so they probably get less for Mantha today if he were with the Wings still.  Unless you think the Wings could have discovered whatever is affecting Vrana ahead of the trade I'm not sure how much you can knock Yzerman for trying it.

i still think the trade can be a success because i dont think that much of mantha.

• Like 1

If (pure speculation) this was related to substance abuse, it is easy to imagine that Caps front office would have heard  rumors that Wings front office had not. 

Whatever the story was, everybody in the NHL was undoubtedly calling everyone else for gossip on Vrana as soon as he went into the program. Fans don’t know the reason but I suspect everyone in the NHL has a good guess. It was a surprise to us that he was waived and cleared waivers, but is maybe not a big surprise to insiders. 

16 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Bertuzzi is supposed to be back tomorrow, he practiced on a line with Larkin and Raymond today.  Then:

Ras - Copp - Berggren

Fabbri - Veleno - Perron

Kubalik - Suter - Sundqvist

Erne - Zadina (non contact jersey still)

Wallman - Seider

Chiarot - Hronek

Maataa - Lindstrom

Hagg - Oesterle

I hope Rasmussen eventually ends up back with Larkin. I liked that combination of size and skill.

Ya agreed @gehringer_2I thought they played well together.  I suspect this could be a move to get Raymond going since this line played well together last season.  Also Bert hasn't really lit it up when he's played so hopefully both of them get going.  With Bert back at least scoring has been theoretically pushed down the entire lineup but we'll see how it all works.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

vrana scratched from his last GR game, so that's going well.

They have to rotate veterans based on the AHL rules so until I see anything saying different I think it was just his turn to rotate out.  In an AHL lineup, only six players can have played in more than 260 career professional games and other guys had been sitting lately.

Edited by slothfacekilla

48 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

They have to rotate veterans based on the AHL rules so until I see anything saying different I think it was just his turn to rotate out.  In an AHL lineup, only six players can have played in more than 260 career professional games and other guys had been sitting lately.

i hope that's it!

from what i read, he's not exactly setting the world on fire down there.  

20 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I've read he looks / has looked reallllllyyy out of shape so hopefully that's a big reason for his lackluster play.  I was hoping he would be scoring like crazy against AHL competition.

that's almost worse if he's that out of shape.  shows you how serious he is about his job.

like you wrote (i think it was you), he was put into the program by the team, not because he requested it.  maybe he requested the team to do it?  or asked the team for help?  not sure.  but if the team had to put him in the program because things were going to badly, he was put through waivers and no one touched him, and he's fat and out of shape in GR and playing horribly....

...it bodes rather ill for his nhl future.

oh well, we can just re-sign mantha after this year, right?