22-23 Regular Season Thread

14 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

A quote from a veteran NHL player re the Wings from an ESPN article by Emily Kaplan.

"That team is going to be so legit so soon," the player said. "They have the talent, they also have the swag. Watch out for them."

I think we've slowly raised our expectations for them. As much as they still frustrate at times, putting it into perspective this has been a very strong start to year, almost 1/3 of the way in:

- Record of 6-2-2 in past 10

- Road record on the year of 6-3-2

- 12th overall in points, but just 3 points behind 5th

- Tied with Tampa in points, but more points than last year's three other conference finalists Colorado, NY Rangers and Edmonton

-Of the summer darlings as far as who would be most improved, the Wings are 8 points up on Buffalo and 10 points up on Ottawa

- Currently in an Eastern Conference playoff position

- Have done so without contributions from Bertuzzi or Vrana, few players seem to be producing at unsustainable rate except maybe Husso (I think Husso is that good, but a bit nervous about overworking risk from the 18gp-8gp split with Ned) and Kubalik (good pickup, but don't expect him to finish season as a PPG player).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Good thread on the digital board ads. The ads, especially the animated ones, plus the Bally scrawl, definitely impair my viewing experience. If I had a choice of removing the but having the Wings wear yellow jerseys, even that would be better. 

"philosophical concerns about commercialization"?

its a business.  its always been a business.

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

"philosophical concerns about commercialization"?

its a business.  its always been a business.

I couldn’t care less about commercialization.  Outfield walls used to be one giant billboard a century ago. Radio broadcasts on YouTube from the 1930s show how MLB announcers of the era were pitching a different product at every at bat. I just hate Bally’s crawl and then the beep beep cartoon cars moving up and down  the endboards as I’m trying to follow the puck. It’s cheap, I  feel like I’m watching poker on ESPN on a Tuesday afternoon. Canadian broadcasters aren’t doing that. TNT may have digital ads, but its screen is cleaner for hockey than Bally’s and the add-ons it does use, such as names of players on the ice, does have utility for the game I’m watching. 

Edited by lordstanley

30 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I couldn’t care less about commercialization.  Outfield walls used to be one giant billboard a century ago. Radio broadcasts on YouTube from the 1930s show how MLB announcers of the era were pitching a different product at every at bat. I just hate Bally’s crawl and then the beep beep cartoon cars moving up and down  the endboards as I’m trying to follow the puck. It’s cheap, I  feel like I’m watching poker on ESPN on a Tuesday afternoon. Canadian broadcasters aren’t doing that. TNT may have digital ads, but its screen is cleaner for hockey than Bally’s and the add-ons it does use, such as names of players on the ice, does have utility for the game I’m watching. 

i dont disagree with you, i was just making the observation about the quote that was in the tweet.

I'm pretty old...I remember watching the Russia vs the NHL all stars in 1979.  The network broadcasting the Saturday game in the US refused to show all of the ice because the ads that were on the boards were a "commercial intrusion".  Which probably meant they weren't getting a cut.  We've come pretty far from there...

Edited by Shinzaki

I like his 58% faceoff win %... but he's another lefty so we're still struggling on half the ice.

I'm not using that as an argument against him... I'm just saying... if they made a trade for him, there's a secondary issue outside of Horvat that the Wings still gotta figure out how to fix it. I like the idea of a stronger #2 C though...

But also, as stated, it might cost a lot to get him, will Yzerman trade the assets it would cost. Or will Stevie Y find someone more under-the-radar?

Are these guys under the radar enough, good enough to take over a #2 or 3 centerman spot, or even obtainable (and at what cost... meaning, would Yzerman gladly pay the cost, even if steep, for...):

Jack Roslovic - Columbus

Nick Schmaltz - Arizona

Robert Thomas - St. Louis (steepest cost, but my 1st choice)

Jordan Kyrou - St. Louis

Sam Reinhart - Florida

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I like his 58% faceoff win %... but he's another lefty so we're still struggling on half the ice

I guess I would be happy enough to take the left shot center if we could land him and then just keep trying to pick up RH shots at Wing.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

To be honest... if the cost were the same and one of my guys was actually available, I'd rather go RH'ed...

funny thing, when we were growing up most, maybe all,  the right handed kids I played pickup with shot RH. I guess somehow that had become the tribal wisdom in the neighborhood and it just got passed along as we taught each other how to play. Worked well for me because though I'm right handed I'm pretty much left legged. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by gehringer_2

39 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Good news everyone, Vrana and Larkin are both at practice with non-contact jerseys (guessing they are both a ways away) and Hronek was wearing a regular jersey (this dude's brain must be made of iron).  Maata skating too which is huge.

Yes, especially good news about Vrana. Wishing him the best. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, buddha said:

what would you trade for lafreniere?

not enough to get him....:classic_wink:

It's hard to get anywhere making trades until you have an XS of something to trade out of. Wings still aren't that deep. It looks like they may have more wingers than they need in week or two, but no-one in that group is going to get you within a sniff of that trade.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

not enough to get him....:classic_wink:

It's hard to get anywhere making trades until you have an XS of something to trade out of. Wings still aren't that deep. It looks like they may have more wingers than they need in week or two, but no-one in that group is going to get you within a sniff of that trade.

bertuzzi and edvinsson?

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK - I wonder how GMs around the league rate him at this point. My take would be that Edvinsson is too much, and of course Bertuzzi alone wouldn't do it. 

bertuzzi, zadina, and a second round pick!

lol.  i dont think there's a match because the rangers wont give him up cheap and the wings wont give up a first rounder for him.

a healthy bertuzzi would really help them, though.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

bertuzzi, zadina, and a second round pick!

lol.  i dont think there's a match because the rangers wont give him up cheap and the wings wont give up a first rounder for him.

a healthy bertuzzi would really help them, though.

I assume he came to mind because of the story that Gallant benched him? Not a great way to build a guy's trade value if you do want to move him!