22-23 Regular Season Thread

What were the Boston Bruins thinking?     They sign Mitchell Miller only to have to release him less than a week later because they found out the "isolated incident" went on for years and included beatings and racial attacks of a developmentally disabled kid.  Went on for 10 years.  That's not a 14 year old that made a mistake, that's a really sick individual who only apologized - on social media, not directly - when the Bruins signed him (it was likely part of the signing condition).  In fact, he continued to joke about it in college.   How did the Arizona Coyotes not know this?   What were the Bruins thinking?   I don't think he's ever going to be welcomed into the NHL.  

They were probably thinking people forgot about what he did or the fact that the team is doing well might overshadow it.  Hockey has always been an old boys club and I 100% believe a large part of the league thinks that Miller was just being a kid and is being unfairly punished for it right now.  The only thing that his agent was able to point to about his development was his court mandated community service and organizations he didn't even bother to show up to and engage after initial contacts.  Never mind that they never even mention the victim or working to make that situation right.  I am pleasantly surprised that the big reaction from most people was that this would not stand and I really really respect the Bruins' player leadership core who stood up for what was right.  Neely should be fired.  He didn't even check if Miller was eligible to be signed let alone make the right call here.

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Bertuzzi and Sundqvist were skating this morning

Yes, a fair bit of good news in here. 

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/11/08/tyler-bertuzzi-jake-walman-rejoining-detroit-red-wings-west-coast-road-trip-oskar-sundqvist-maybe-thursday/

“(Oskar) Sundqvist is day to day,” Detroit coach Derek Lalonde said. “Bert,we’re hoping to see on the West Coast trip. Maybe that 7-10 day range. I’d put Walman in that same 7-to-10. (Filip Zadina) is lower body, 6-8 weeks. Obviously not positive but a little more optimistic than we originally thought. (Robby Fabbri) and (Mark) Pysyk are still in that Jan. 1 range.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Sucks for Luff. Trying to make a name for himself for the Wings and a dirty play knocks him out for 2-3 months.

https://www.nhl.com/news/matt-luff-out-10-12-weeks-for-red-wings-after-slafkovsky-hit/c-337395472

the NHL suspension system is a joke. You get two games for putting a guy out 10 weeks? If a guy gets hurt on a clean, legal play, that the risk you take putting on your skates, but when it's clearly an illegal hit - esp a boarding call - which are inexcusable, you should be out until the guy you hurt comes back. Make that that the rule and those plays will end the next day.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

almost all of the free agent moves have paid off so far.  husso has been a sure #1.  perron has been as advertised on the power play.  kubalik is on pace for 100 points.  maata has been solid if unspectacular.  chairot has been a solid physical defenseman.

the iffy one is copp but he's been decent defensively and has been playing better on offense lately.  hagg has been bad but he was just a depth signing.

if anything, this start has showed that the wings still cant compete skill-wise with the most talented teams.  our best line should be a 2nd line on a cup winning team.  or maybe a couple guys mixed in on the first line?  

i wonder what the plan is with larkin and bertuzzi?  no word on contract talks, especially with bert.  if theyre right in the playoff mix, do they deal him for future assets?

On 11/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, buddha said:

i wonder what the plan is with larkin and bertuzzi?  no word on contract talks, especially with bert.  if theyre right in the playoff mix, do they deal him for future assets?

If Yzerman was considering dealing Bertuzzi with the Wings are in a playoff spot, I'm guessing he would demand at least one NHL-ready player in return. He's too competitive to go into the tournament without a full roster. But he'd probably also want to deal him out of conference. 

Big decisions.

• 2 weeks later...