22-23 Regular Season Thread

4 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I wouldn't give up much for Lafreniere, he doesn't have the skating to make a big impact in the NHL

Wings targeting Wed for Fabbri's return

how does he become the consensus #1 pick in the draft if he cant skate?  

maybe it's lucky the wings didnt get any lottery luck that year?  although stutzle would look pretty good in a winged wheel.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Isn't it Berggren-Veleno-Soderblom on a line?

A high level playmaker (Berggren), a do-whatever-is-needed Center, and a 6' 8" sharpshooter...

Yeah... I think that's benefitting Veleno quite a lot... but it's also a pretty damn fine 3rd line as well...

Yzerman is starting to collect guys who have some puck handling skills in tight spaces (mostly just meaning some quicks) . It's only one skill among many for a team but it's one the Wings have mostly lacked - Larkin used to be it and is still head and shoulders above the rest, but  now with Perron, Berggren, Soderblom they are starting to get a little more if it.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 12/30/2022 at 3:03 PM, buddha said:

how does he become the consensus #1 pick in the draft if he cant skate?  

maybe it's lucky the wings didnt get any lottery luck that year?  although stutzle would look pretty good in a winged wheel.

Weak draft and his skating wasn't as exposed against junior players where he put up a ton of points.  Teams may have thought it was correctable too but I haven't seen any improvements in his skating myself.  Plus he was hyped for a few years and I think the old school hockey guys are more reluctant to go against stuff like that (why I was a bit shocked about Shane Wright last year).  There were rumors the Wings liked Stutzle over Laffy and I definitely believe it at this point since Yzerman seems to go get his guy no matter what.  I do think some of what Lafreniere does CAN be fixed but it is concerning it hasn't been fixed yet.  He doesn't get much power on his strides and his edgework is pretty pedestrian so there might be too much going on? 

I think Veleno is benefiting from better linemates but he also looks much more confident.  He's making little plays I don't recall him making before and they add up with his linemates to produce chances.  It is a shame that the line will be broken up once the team gets healthy because they're been awesome lately.  If it were me I'd find a way to bury Suter and Erne somewhere and maybe it is time to not carry 3 goalies...

If Berggren & Soderblom can hold their own then I don't mind other guys being pushed to inactive or even out the door...

And yes... they're going to need to make a decision between Ned & Hellberg. Would Hellberg slip through waivers and get sent to Grand Rapids? Or is the only option with him an outright release? I'm unclear on what we can do with him. Ned won't make it through any kind of waivers just based on age and "potential"... But if the team decides they are giving up on Ned... does he have any trade value? It seems far-fetched to be giving up on him, but...?

15 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

If it were me I'd find a way to bury Suter and Erne somewhere and maybe it is time to not carry 3 goalies...

bingo. Well, we know what Kenny would have done (not the above!), but Yzerzman is not Holland, let's hope he surprises us. Not a hot time of year for it but maybe he can move someone like Suter for a pick or something. There is no long term upside for the Wings in Berggren or Soderblom spending more time in GR.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Berggren & Soderblom can hold their own then I don't mind other guys being pushed to inactive or even out the door...

And yes... they're going to need to make a decision between Ned & Hellberg. Would Hellberg slip through waivers and get sent to Grand Rapids? Or is the only option with him an outright release? I'm unclear on what we can do with him. Ned won't make it through any kind of waivers just based on age and "potential"... But if the team decides they are giving up on Ned... does he have any trade value? It seems far-fetched to be giving up on him, but...?

Both Hellberg and Ned would have to pass through waivers to go to the AHL on anything besides a conditioning stint.  Hellberg has been claimed like three times already this season so I doubt either make it through.  I would love to find some team with a lack of goalie prospects to try to flip Ned to as a reclamation project otherwise I think waivers are the answer.  My guess is that Hellberg goes to waivers if this is the plan but who knows.

11 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

My guess is that Hellberg goes to waivers if this is the plan but who knows.

It looks to me like they are looking at Hellberg instead of trying to play Ned out of his funk exactly because they are tying to decide if Hellberg can hold down the spot well enough to risk letting Ned go. There can't be that much risk with Hellberg. He has a long track record at this point - he is what he is - the baseball equiv of a 4A guy. If you think that is enough with Husso playing most of the games  and that the team can get to the playoffs, I think you let someone else take on Ned's high risk profile. If you don't think you can climb over the teams in front of you in half a season,  take the gamble you can turn Ned around. He's shown the talent is in there, somewhere.

Edited by gehringer_2

Vrana to spend another week at GR and also

(From DetNews):

Getting another accomplished offensive player like Fabbri is a plus, but the Wings will have to take a player off the 23-man roster to fit in Fabbri.

"If Fabbri is available and ready to play, we want him to play," Lalonde said. "He's an important part of our team both on the ice and in the room. So, if that's the case, post-practice (Tuesday) we're going to have a tough decision."

Three young forwards, Jonatan Berggren, Elmer Soderblom and Joe Veleno, are all able to be sent to Grand Rapids without threat of being claimed on waivers, but the three have steadily improved and keyed Saturday's victory over Ottawa.

The way Lalonde talked Monday, it's doubtful any of the three young players will be headed anywhere.

"We've talked a lot on it over the last couple of days and we'll talk again (Tuesday after practice)," Lalonde said. "Those young guys have made it hard with their play of late. Berggren, Veleno, Elmer, I do not see me taking one of those out at least on Wednesday."

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

plus the personal risk? Not a bad plan really if Vrana gets through waivers you let him work his way back at GR and it leaves you more time to put off a decision you don't want to make on the current roster.

there are twitter rumors that the gms may have come to an agreement that no one would take him so he can continue to work on his issues.

not sure i believe that.

Just now, slothfacekilla said:

Seems very farfetched to me but who knows

i think its BS.

i think they put him through waivers because he's not ready to come back and they dont think anyone will take his salary.

this will come as no surprise, but i imagine there is a lot more to his personal leave of absence than we know about.  

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think its BS.

i think they put him through waivers because he's not ready to come back and they dont think anyone will take his salary.

this will come as no surprise, but i imagine there is a lot more to his personal leave of absence than we know about.  

Well, I agree that you don't need to posit any kind of collusion to believe no-one is going to claim him. 

Edited by gehringer_2