22-23 Regular Season Thread

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Well Horvat was a 9th pick overall so by that logic wouldn't Kasper be a better prospect than him?  I think that just shows that not all draft slots are created equal. 

You're probably right as far as his chances of becoming that good but for me Kasper has shown enough that I think it is a worthy gamble to hold onto him.  He's shown good work ethic and plays a responsible game in the SHL against adults at age 18.  He's currently on pace to be slightly ahead of Mika Zibanejad's age 18 season PPG: https://www.quanthockey.com/shl/en/player-age/18-year-old-shl-players.html

His points are similar to Raymond's last SHL season and he's a year younger than Raymond was and Kasper is playing center.  I also think he passes the eye test from what I've seen.  He has really good skating and puck protection.  His shot seems to be improving as well.  Right now I see him as a potential top end second line center with a small chance to be a good 1C with more great development.  That's tough to find so I am clinging to that for all I can until the Wings get some more depth in their system.

To your last point, I imagine the Canucks would be interested in Rasmussen with how he has been improving especially as a local boy, but I agree they wouldn't want the rest.  I think we all need to forget McIsaac's name he is awful in Grand Rapids.  All those injuries really kept him from developing his defensive game he seems lost.  I imagine Veleno is seen as useful to most teams but probably isn't much more than a throw in at this point.

Honestly if it were me I do not trade for Horvat and I trade Larkin before this deadline.  Horvat in and Larkin out feels like cycling deck chairs at the end of the day, and I can't imagine the Wings paying both of them 1C money but maybe they would?  It would absolutely suck to lose their current best offensive player by trading Larkin, and it sets back the rebuild a bit, but I would rather do that than pay him like $10 million for 8 years.  But then again I have no idea what he's really after moneywise.

i dont know if trading larkin is in the plans since they spent all that money on role players last offseason.

but in the big picture, i can see trading him rather than paying him over $9m aav.  he shouldnt get more than barzal did.

29 minutes ago, buddha said:

nobody is trading for him without a contract in place.  you also arent the only team bidding for him.

Not necessarily.  Teams deep in the playoff hunt that see themselves as really good 2nd line Center away would make the deal without an extension to get the player. 

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Not necessarily.  Teams deep in the playoff hunt that see themselves as really good 2nd line Center away would make the deal without an extension to get the player. 

maybe.  but 1) the wings wont do that,, and 2) i think a hampus lindholm situation is more likely with a guy like horvat.

bottom line is that i hope they dont give up kaspar for him.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i dont know if trading larkin is in the plans since they spent all that money on role players last offseason.

but in the big picture, i can see trading him rather than paying him over $9m aav.  he shouldnt get more than barzal did.

I don't think it was in the plans at all but with how the season has gone after the signings and the media chatter I wouldn't be shocked if those changed.

With how much I've thought/talked about it the most likely thing is just that he re-signs I'm sure haha

RIP to one of the toughest, nastiest, and most talented players to every play the game. Bobby Hull wasn't simply a tough SOB, he had the talent and scoring prowess to back up the attitude. It should also be acknowledge that in his personal life Bobby Hull was a shit human being who beat up his wife and abused her repeatedly. He was not really a great person at all, but I still think his contributions to the game and overall talent can be acknowledge.

Blackhawks all-time leading goal scorer Bobby Hull dies at 84 - NBC Sports  Chicago

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Hmmm... 25 year old former first round pick who doesn't seem to have a ton of points (Islanders though), former high second round pick with a little pedigree who is about .5 ppg at 20 years old in the AHL, and a protected first round pick.... interesting.  I wonder if something like Veleno, Berggren (and/or Lombardi), and a non-protected 1st round pick would have gotten it done for the Wings.

edit: misread Beauvillier's stats or something because looking back at him, probably would have needed Rasmussen instead of Veleno there to have a chance at the very least

Edited by slothfacekilla

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Hmmm... 25 year old former first round pick who doesn't seem to have a ton of points (Islanders though), former high second round pick with a little pedigree who is about .5 ppg at 20 years old in the AHL, and a protected first round pick.... interesting.  I wonder if ...

Is that deal better than this one? :

"No on Hronek, Kasper or Ras.

The offer is Zadina, Veleno, a 1st rounder from 2024 or 2025 (not 2023), Cross Hanas, and choose any 1 of McIsaac, Viro, Albert Johansson, or Sebrango. Add a 2nd rounder if it clinches the deal. If not...

If they say no, that's fine by me. "

Asking for a friend...

Larkin and Bertuzzi seem to have lost their chemisity - maybe it comes back if Bertuzzi's game comes around, but I'm looking for Lalonde to do some more line shuffling quickly if the #1 line doesn't pick up quickly after the break. You can't keep wasting Larkin's setup ability on guys who aren't using it.

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/4154009/2023/02/06/red-wings-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-2023/

1.Edvinsson 2. Kasper 3. Cossa 4. Berggren 5. Mazur 6. Wallinder 7. Soderblom 8. Buchelnikov 9. Johansson 10. Buium 11. McIsaac 12. LDN 13. Niederbach 14. Sebrango 15. Hanas

Moved up from 7 in last season's rankings to 4.  Makes sense to me, Kasper is a great addition and a lot of other players have made big steps forward.  Though I am unsure why he even has McIsaac on the list tbh.

4 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

https://theathletic.com/4154009/2023/02/06/red-wings-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-2023/

1.Edvinsson 2. Kasper 3. Cossa 4. Berggren 5. Mazur 6. Wallinder 7. Soderblom 8. Buchelnikov 9. Johansson 10. Buium 11. McIsaac 12. LDN 13. Niederbach 14. Sebrango 15. Hanas

Moved up from 7 in last season's rankings to 4.  Makes sense to me, Kasper is a great addition and a lot of other players have made big steps forward.  Though I am unsure why he even has McIsaac on the list tbh.

as noted in the prospects thread, i dont think niederbach needs to be included and i do think lombardi does.