22-23 Regular Season Thread

on second and third thought I have to say that moving Hronek does surprise me. I guess that means Yzerman has some level of confidence in the Dmen coming up through the system, because with Hronek gone there certainly isn't much to be excited about in the Wing's current defense corps past Seider and Walman.

It could also mean that Yzerman sees something that makes him doubt that Hronek's turnaround this season is sustainable.

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

When did I say that? I made two posts. In one I reported that Canuck talk radio is angry and confused by the trade, I didn’t say anything about disagreeing with that.  In the second post I speculated that the Wings could be able to get more for that 1st round pick than they gave up to get it  

You hearted the post that I quoted. 

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

on second and third thought I have to say that moving Hronek does surprise me. I guess that means Yzerman has some level of confidence in the Dmen coming up through the system, because with Hronek gone there certainly isn't much to be excited about in the Wing's current defense corps past Seider and Walman.

It could also mean that Yzerman sees something that makes him doubt that Hronek's turnaround this season is sustainable.

I don’t think they need to accumulate offensive defenseman at this point of the rebuild.   They have Seider and the rest should be focused on doing the right things with the puck and not making mistakes in the zone.   Do your job, stay at home defenseman are what you often need in that 2nd and 3rd pairing to have a good team.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think they need to accumulate offensive defenseman at this point of the rebuild.   They have Seider and the rest should be focused on doing the right things with the puck and not making mistakes in the zone.   Do your job, stay at home defenseman are what you often need in that 2nd and 3rd pairing to have a good team.  

We have Edvinsson coming up, who looks similarly gifted as Seider, but we'll see...

Maatta and Walman have at least enough offense to not be zeros there...

So yes, play tough defense, add toughness to the team in general, win puck battles and be able to move the puck or pass it to get it out of our own zone. That's what is the primary need for the rest of our defenseman. Any additional offense, on top of those factors... is icing on the cake.

Primarily... I think Hronek did not meet any of those factors and was moved as a result.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Unless you also count Grand Rapids...

As I am very excited about graduating Edvinsson to the NHL and seeing what he can do...

Yzerman is slipping.

Seriously, though; they have plenty of young talent to take over. They will also have about 40 million in cap space next year. This draft looks like a deep draft. And their system is loaded.

Edited by Cruzer1

4 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Yzerman is slipping.

Seriously, though; they have plenty of young talent to take over. They will also have about 40 million in cap space next year. This draft looks like a deep draft. And their system is loaded.

But this is it.   No more "but look what they have".   Next year they have to make a big step forward or it's going to get hard to keep positive.     They need to spend some cap money on the best goalie available.    Time for the waiting to end.  

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But this is it.   No more "but look what they have".   Next year they have to make a big step forward or it's going to get hard to keep positive.     They need to spend some cap money on the best goalie available.    Time for the waiting to end.  

Husso has been outstanding this year. It's been a good year for the Wings, they came up a little short. At least they got the ball rolling for next season.

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

best goalie?

dude, its too early for your gummies.  🙂

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1st string goalie has been the least of the Wings’ problems this year, may even be their MVP. Need a better backup, but shouldn’t be too expensive.