22-23 Regular Season Thread

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What happened to Jakub Vrana.     He fell as quickly as Ned did.   

what was that rick james said about cocaine?  

i dont know what happened with vrana, but i have a suspicion his problems come from off the ice.

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

you dont put someone in that program because they dont play defense.

HaHa - true. But still there was some disconnect when he came back because Lalonde kept referring to Vrana 'not playing in the system.'  Like I said, apart from whether he was staying clean,  I'm sort of drawn to the idea that Vrana wanted out from the Wings and bucking the coach was going to be quickest way to achieve that. On the one hand he risked getting sent back and left in GR, but on the other Vrana also knew that the Wings would want him in Det so they could move him and get some kind of value back.

Edited by gehringer_2

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

you dont put someone in that program because they dont play defense.

I'm not talking about the program.

I was talking about the reason to trade him. I didn't mean to tie two things together without an explanation but... I guess I did.

As for the off-ice problems and the program... sure, yes...

But, again... as for the trade... I don't think the trade was due to the off-the-ice issues as much as the philosophical differences. (Ooops, I did it again).

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Maybe a plus?

Call up Johansson or Edvinsson and see if we get some addition by subtraction there... that'll answer that question. Although we might get both subtraction (toughness and experience) as well as addition (skill and athleticism/ speed).

Although I watched a recent Griffins game and my way too uninformed conclusion is that Edvinsson will initially struggle in the NHL. I think he has to fill out some and gain some strength in his legs before he hits Seider's level up here... He's got great length and reach so he has an advantage there... and can control the puck and make the outlet passes, etc... he's doing great down in GR it looks like... but I think against NHL speed and strength he's going to suffer. And it looks like he's still trying to get acclimated, coordination-wise, to his gangly body. There is definitely high-end skill there... but he needs to add strength and better body control/ balance IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Call up Johansson or Edvinsson and see if we get some addition by subtraction there... that'll answer that question. Although we might get both subtraction (toughness and experience) as well as addition (skill and athleticism/ speed).

Although I watched a recent Griffins game and my way too uninformed conclusion is that Edvinsson will initially struggle in the NHL. I think he has to fill out some and gain some strength in his legs before he hits Seider's level up here... He's got great length and reach so he has an advantage there... and can control the puck and make the outlet passes, etc... he's doing great down in GR it looks like... but I think against NHL speed and strength he's going to suffer. And it looks like he's still trying to get acclimated, coordination-wise, to his gangly body. There is definitely high-end skill there... but he needs to add strength and better body control/ balance IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Given your observations, and that losses don't matter the rest of the way,  I guess the question would be whether playing the harder physical game in the NHL gets him to where he need to be faster or just impedes his ability to progress. I don't know if there is any universally true answer to which way to go, we assume the Wings' brains has some kind of criteria list for deciding that.

I don't think his progress will be impeded.

I just think he needs to experience the NHL physical game in order to realize how much strength he will need to gain. Then the rest is up to him, and the Red Wings trainers...

In fact, I'd be perfectly fine with calling him up for his 9 games, so he can see first-hand what it means to be in the NHL...

I'm just sayin'... I think he'll struggle with the physicality in the NHL for a year or two, until he gets stronger. Which will also help him stay on his feet... But also... I think we'll see flashes of his tremendous talent when he's playing with the Wings... it's just that, from what I saw, there's some specific (weight & strength training) work he needs to do...

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Me too, but good for Kenny if they do make it. I think if they do make it all the way to the Cup it will be more to do with their two star players than anyone Kenny has added to the roster though.

he got them evander kane.  other than that, he hasnt done too much.