Week Seven: Detroit Lions (1-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (4-2)

MichiganCardinal

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Man, I didn't realize Sewell was ineffective and injured. 

I edited the post after you quoted it.

Care to dispute any of my points? The team is 4-17 under Holmes and I know it's a rebuild but it's fair to start criticizing him when you're not seeing progress in Year 2 mainly because his players aren't contributing. Campbell and Glenn catch a ton of shit yet Holmes seems to get a free pass for some reason.

Edited by NYLion

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Care to dispute any of my points? The team is 4-17 under Holmes and I know it's a rebuild but it's fair to start criticizing him when you're not seeing progress in Year 2 mainly because his players aren't contributing.

I literally have disputed your nonsense about the free agents. They were roster filler for a team that is rebuilding. Had they resigned Golladay to the contract he received from the Giants, that would be one thing. The team is being rebuilt through the draft. I expect them to be more aggressive in free agency in the coming years. 

Holmes inherited a 5 win team that had to trade their franchise QB. On top of that, we still haven't received all the picks from that trade. It's pretty clear this is a 3-4 year plan as they drafted a WR who we all knew would be limited this year. 

On top of that, Quinn left a lot of dead weight on the roster in Flowers, Collins, James etc that had to be cut and added to the dead cap so they were hamstrung a bit by the cap. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

42 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Man, I didn't realize Sewell was ineffective and injured. 

I see the post was edited after I mentioned Sewell. I wouldn't say "fell into his lap" It certainly wasn't a slam dunk pick. The Lions already had a good LT and Fields and Smith were available and no one would have been upset at the time if the Lions took either one. Even Parsons could have been taken there. 

In fact I seem to remember some people being very upset that Fields wasn't taken.

37 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I literally have disputed your nonsense about the free agents. They were roster filler for a team that is rebuilding. Had they resigned Golladay to the contract he received from the Giants, that would be one thing. The team is being rebuilt through the draft. I expect them to be more aggressive in free agency in the coming years. 

Holmes inherited a 5 win team that had to trade their franchise QB. On top of that, we still haven't received all the picks from that trade. It's pretty clear this is a 3-4 year plan as they drafted a WR who we all knew would be limited this year. 

On top of that, Quinn left a lot of dead weight on the roster in Flowers, Collins, James etc that had to be cut and added to the dead cap so they were hamstrung a bit by the cap. 

They were signed to be the Lions top two receivers. Yeah, they were only signed as stopgaps but they were still failed signings, even if it's on a smaller scale. Chark was a bigger signing and he's been a disappointment thus far. Debate all you want about the meaning of a rebuild or whatnot but Holmes failed with these signings, I don't even know why that's being debated or even called "nonsense" for some reason.

I get that it's a long term rebuild but as of right now where we stand today, very few of Holmes draft picks/signings are making any impact. My general point is, at what point does Holmes deserve some criticism? I find it interesting that some Lions fans are absolving him of blame yet have no problem throwing Campbell and Glenn in front of the firing squad as if they're supposed to get more out of this patchwork roster although, yes, they've made their fair share of errors as well.

Edited by NYLion

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

In fact I seem to remember some people being very upset that Fields wasn't taken.

I think the general consensus was elation that Sewell fell to the Lions. The Fields love was mainly knowing that Sewell would likely be gone by 7 and that it would likely be a choice between Waddle, Smith, Parsons, Slater or one of the QBs.

Edited by NYLion

42 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Care to dispute any of my points? The team is 4-17 under Holmes and I know it's a rebuild but it's fair to start criticizing him when you're not seeing progress in Year 2 mainly because his players aren't contributing. Campbell and Glenn catch a ton of shit yet Holmes seems to get a free pass for some reason.

I think you're forgetting some free agents that Holmes brought in that have made significant contributions:

Charles Harris and Jamaal Williams, for example, where big impact players last year and have also contributed majorly this year.  Anzalone and Raymond have also been regular contributors while not really star players they have done their part.  Josh Reynolds was also a mid-season pickup who's been a good addition to the team.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

both things can be true:

1) the lions have signed free agents to be stop gaps in the rebuilding process; and 

2) those signings have been failures.

Yes, that's all I'm saying. I understand the reasoning behind the signing but it doesn't mean they weren't failed signings.

breshard perriman, dj chark (so far), the brockers trade, the trinity benson trade.  failures.

the anzalone and raymond re-signings are questionable as well.  failing to upgrade linebacker has hurt them.

i would add that the "getting the whole gang back together" offseason strategy from a 3-13-1 team and expecting different results has not been successful so far either.  especially on defense.

but again, this all must be taken in full context.  

1) they are still rebuilding and still dont have the biggest piece of all: a qb;

2) it doesnt make a lot of sense to bring in big time free agent players if you dont expect to contend;

3) they are devastated by injuries to multiple key players on offense and defense.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I think you're forgetting some free agents that Holmes brought in that have made significant contributions:

Charles Harris and Jamaal Williams, for example, where big impact players last year and have also contributed majorly this year.  Anzalone and Raymond have also been regular contributors while not really star players they have done their part.  Josh Reynolds was also a mid-season pickup who's been a good addition to the team.

I don't know how I forgot about Jamaal but Harris has been a ghost outside of the Commies game (and who doesn't look good against them), I'm talking about Year 2 contributors btw, Harris was good last year. Anal Zone and Raymond are not feathers in his cap.

Edit: Reynolds has been a good find. 

Holmes has a few decent signings now that I think about it. It just feels like such an empty cupboard and hard to see much positive the way this season is going. I do want to see what this team looks like when they get some healthy bodies back. Cominsky was very good before getting injured, nice to see Paschal back as well.

Edited by NYLion

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

harris has been decent.  williams has done a job.  reynolds has had flashes of decent play.  youre right that those should all be counted as successes, imo.  craig reynolds too.  some of the corners have done solid work as udfa players.

i wouldnt put anzalone and raymond in that category.  i think those two are marginal nfl players and easily upgradeable.