10/26/2022 7:00 EDT Atlanta Hawks vs Detroit Pistons

casimir

Of course Stewart can't get a rebound on the most important possessions of the game.  It's insanity to play him as the only big man against the other teams starters.  He either needs to be a bench player or be playing next to another big guy in the starting lineup.  We are give up third and fourth chance opportunities and that makes it extremely hard to win.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hart said:

I love what I have seen out of Ivey in the very early going of this season but it's hard to not to wonder if part of the reason Bogdanovic and Cade are playing so well off each other tonight is because Ivey is not out there.  It's probably a coincidence but there's a small chance it's not.  

I don't think it's an issue of them playing together...

I think it's an issue of HOW they are playing together. With Cade as the primary, the offense is slow and Cade is trying to get everyone involved.

If Ivey is the primary, he's flashing/ driving/ breaking down the defense. If he has no lane for a shot, or is doubled... he should swing it out... NOW... Cade is receiving the ball with a broken down defense and the ability to use all his skills/ vision/ passing, to get a shot for himself or for someone else. As a secondary, his job is not to get everyone involved, it's to get the basketball into the net. Himself, or someone more open. And again, with a broken-down defense or a moving defense trying to catch up to ball movement after Ivey has drove-and-dished... I think gives Cade a great advantage initiating any offense in that situation.

But that's just me.

Huge letdown.  Bogdanovic played awesome down the stretch but nobody else could do anything.  Cade goes from looking looking like an all-star in the first half to scoring 4 points in the second half and having more turnovers than assists.    

Cade was bad in the 2nd half. Not just "not good," legitimately bad. Ton of missed shots, turnovers, careless attacks to the basket. Got blocked at least three times. As good as he was in the 1st half, he was that bad in the 2nd.

Again, Bogdanovic is the best offensive player on the team. And it's not that close.

Someone said Saddiq is better than Livers. I'm actually not entirely convinced. Saddiq is a better isolation scorer than Livers, but that's not Livers' game nor does he try to do that. And that said, Saddiq isn't really that good at it either. Other than that and being physically stronger, I'm not sure how Saddiq is better than Livers. He's had big scoring games for the Pistons before. But that has come with minutes, shots, and opportunity. I don't think Saddiq is a better passer, ball handler, defender, or rebounder. If he is better at any of those things, it's marginally better at best.

Edited by boogiebunz

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Ivey is the primary, he's flashing/ driving/ breaking down the defense. If he has no lane for a shot, or is doubled... he should swing it out... NOW... Cade is receiving the ball with a broken down defense and the ability to use all his skills/ vision/ passing, to get a shot for himself or for someone else. As a secondary, his job is not to get everyone involved, it's to get the basketball into the net. Himself, or someone more open. And again, with a broken-down defense or a moving defense trying to catch up to ball movement after Ivey has drove-and-dished... I think gives Cade a great advantage initiating any offense in that situation.

But that's just me

If  Cade will buy into that role after being annointed as primary ball handler last season. And even if he does, if you put him off the ball more his shooting (or lack of thereof) becomes even more critical. Right now the Piston's are pieces here and there, but not much in the way of a team. That's OK coming out of the gate with a lot of young players, but Casey (or his replacement?!?) has a lot of work to do.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Piston's rebounding.

Good ole Casey with unathletic 6'8" Stewart at the 5 and unathletic Bogdanovic at the 4 with unathletic Bey at the 3. Instead of playing Duren with the bench scrubs, why not save him for down the stretch against a team with multiple bigs that are hard to handle down low in place of Bey for instance? Not only that but I saw multiple times when Joseph was down low trying to box out Capela, how does that even happen? Oh, right, the stupid switch defense that he employs.

I get that they are down a couple of bigs but it's almost as if Casey is coaching to lose as some kind of directive from management to obtain one more high pick.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Good ole Casey with unathletic 6'8" Stewart at the 5 and unathletic Bogdanovic at the 4 with unathletic Bey at the 3. Instead of playing Duren with the bench scrubs, why not save him for down the stretch against a team with multiple bigs that are hard to handle down low in place of Bey for instance? Not only that but I saw multiple times when Joseph was down low trying to box out Capela, how does that even happen? Oh, right, the stupid switch defense that he employs.

I get that they are down a couple of bigs but it's almost as if Casey is coaching to lose as some kind of directive from management to obtain one more high pick.

agreed.

part of it is weaver has given him a pretty unathletic team.

ivey and duren were a step in the right direction of changing that.  but it will take some time.

That teal is so damn ugly.

Anyway, can we start Duren now?
Can we separate most of Bey and Bojan's minutes?
Are we done with the Hami experiment?
Does CoJo needs to start when Ivey is out? Does he need to finish also? Play McGruder or go bigger with Stew at PF or Livers in there.

When Ivey comes back can we please have one of Cade or Ivey on the court at all times? It's not hard to do. One guy goes 12 minutes in, 7 out, 5 in, and the other guy does the opposite. They get 20 minutes together to gel and they also get 14 minutes to do their own thing. Let's not pretend we need to give Killian or CoJo PG reps. I noticed that the Hawks had no problem keeping one of Murray or Young in for the vast majority of the game.

I get that Casey is not going to learn to implement a good offensive or defensive scheme, but this is pretty simple stuff that's obvious to anyone watching.

19 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which is why I had posted earlier that I want Duren & Livers starting over Stew & Bey.

It doesn't matter that Bey might be the better player.

Livers does what the team needs of him. Exactly as you posted. Also... I think Livers will be the better 3-point shooter, again, exactly what we need. In college. Right now. And for his career. Better spot-up shooter than Bey.

Stew & Bey coming off the bench, I think, would be great BTW...

Both Livers and Bey are really good three point shooters.  Hard to say who is better until we see more of a sample size.  I think think Bey has a quicker release but Livers has improved a lot in that area as well.  I do know Livers has more limitations than Bey outside of shooting.  Livers can't put the ball on the floor at all.  Bey can a little bit.  That said, I think one of the biggest issues with Bey right now is he is putting the ball on the floor too much and not pulling the trigger when he is open from three.  If Bey continues down that road, then Livers is the better option.  

55 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

That teal is so damn ugly.

Anyway, can we start Duren now?
Can we separate most of Bey and Bojan's minutes?
Are we done with the Hami experiment?
Does CoJo needs to start when Ivey is out? Does he need to finish also? Play McGruder or go bigger with Stew at PF or Livers in there.

When Ivey comes back can we please have one of Cade or Ivey on the court at all times? It's not hard to do. One guy goes 12 minutes in, 7 out, 5 in, and the other guy does the opposite. They get 20 minutes together to gel and they also get 14 minutes to do their own thing. Let's not pretend we need to give Killian or CoJo PG reps. I noticed that the Hawks had no problem keeping one of Murray or Young in for the vast majority of the game.

I get that Casey is not going to learn to implement a good offensive or defensive scheme, but this is pretty simple stuff that's obvious to anyone watching.

Totally agree about Cade and Ivey.   Cut Hayes out of the rotation.  It's a pretty easy decision at this point.  And it will be even easier when Burks comes back.