Week Nine: Green Bay Packers (3-5) @ Detroit Lions (1-6)

MichiganCardinal

450533279_LionsLogo.png.e1443916f625de29fc4743767471c2ac.png          vs.          packers.png.3b3f13dce0eab0159d62f28fe72c02e6.png

Setting: 11/06/2022 1:00pm EST on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Packers -3

All-Time Series Record: Packers lead, 105-73-7

Last Meeting: 01/09/2022, Lions won 37-30

Green Bay Packers (3-5)

Head Coach: Matt LaFleur (4th Season: 42-15)

Projected Starting QB: Aaron Rodgers (18th Season: 142-71-1)

Last Week: 27-17 L @ Buffalo Bills (6-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #10: Sunday v. Dallas Cowboys (6-2)

50b836afe19c6.image.jpg.5636a5076022d372ec25dfeb0a7ffbe6.jpg

Your Detroit Lions (1-6)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (2nd Season: 4-19-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (7th Season: 46-43-1)

Last Week: 31-27 L v. Miami Dolphins (5-3)

Looking Ahead to Week #10: Sunday @ Chicago Bears (3-5)

usa_today_19331701.0.thumb.jpg.6d0fd8c5099b1527443325f6ed22fc7d.jpg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Eagles @ Texans (TNF), Titans @ Chiefs (SNF), Ravens @ Saints (MNF)

1:00pm: Chargers @ Falcons, Dolphins @ Bears, Panthers @ Bengals, Raiders @ Jaguars, Colts @ Patriots, Bills @ Jets,  Vikings @ Commanders

4:05/4:25pm: Seahawks @ Cardinals, Rams @ Buccaneers

BYE: Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers

The Packers are playing like one of the worst teams in the league right now, so it seems. Hopefully the Lions turn around their 2nd half offensive woes and play enough defense to get by because this is a very winnable game. This might be just what the doctor ordered though for Green Bay though. Nothing would be more SOL then for the Packers to get a bounce back win against the Lions. Probably on some late game BS too. If we don't get a win here then I am really struggling to see where the next win comes on this schedule.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Packers are playing like one of the worst teams in the league right now, so it seems. Hopefully the Lions turn around their 2nd half offensive woes and play enough defense to get by because this is a very winnable game. This might be just what the doctor ordered though for Green Bay though. Nothing would be more SOL then for the Packers to get a bounce back win against the Lions. Probably on some late game BS too. If we don't get a win here then I am really struggling to see where the next win comes on this schedule.

Really? You don't see where the next win comes? There's the Panthers, Jaguars, Bears x2 that are all winnable games. I'm also not as high on the Giants and Jets as others either. The only game remaining on the schedule that I see that is an automatic loss right now are the Bills. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Really? You don't see where the next win comes? There's the Panthers, Jaguars, Bears x2 that are all winnable games. I'm also not as high on the Giants and Jets as others either. The only game remaining on the schedule that I see that is an automatic loss right now are the Bills. 

Knowing the Lions, they'll beat the Bills and split the remaining games you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

the lions can beat any team left on the schedule except maybe the bills.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

the lions can beat any team left on the schedule except maybe the bills.

I'm probably being hyperbolic saying I don't know who left on the schedule they can beat, I admit that. They probably can beat the Panthers and Bears. However, the Patriots were starting a third string, rookie QB, making his NFL debut. They lost that game and got embarrassed in the process. Furthermore, this team struggles against mobile QBs as evidenced against the Eagles and Seahawks. While I recognize that the Bears are a generally terrible team and getting worse with all the trades they've made, they have the type of QB that this team struggles against. I don't think the Bears are by any means an automatic win.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm probably being hyperbolic saying I don't know who left on the schedule they can beat, I admit that. They probably can beat the Panthers and Bears. However, the Patriots were starting a third string, rookie QB, making his NFL debut. They lost that game and got embarrassed in the process. Furthermore, this team struggles against mobile QBs as evidenced against the Eagles and Seahawks. While I recognize that the Bears are a generally terrible team and getting worse with all the trades they've made, they have the type of QB that this team struggles against. I don't think the Bears are by any means an automatic win.

hey man, they can lose to anyone left on the schedule too!  and will be underdogs in probably every game but the bears at home.

15 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Decker downgraded with a new back injury. Good to see this explains Sewell’s absents.

On a side note, this is one of the things about sports and sports journalism. He's out for "personal" reasons which just gets the rumor mill going. Why not just say his family is expecting. What does it hurt/harm?

2 hours ago, KL2 said:

On a side note, this is one of the things about sports and sports journalism. He's out for "personal" reasons which just gets the rumor mill going. Why not just say his family is expecting. What does it hurt/harm?

This is a guess, but it could be Hippa rules.  You cannot disclose the personal medical information of other people.

58 minutes ago, djhutch said:

This is a guess, but it could be Hippa rules.  You cannot disclose the personal medical information of other people.

HIPAA would not apply to the Lions as an employer in this context. It's for "covered entities", which is primarily healthcare settings and insurance companies. The hospital the baby was born at couldn't tell the press "Penei Sewell's son was born!", but the Lions could tell the media, or pass a card around the locker room for him, or whatever.

I think more likely is that "personal" is just the only drop down box available to the team when completing the practice report that's not injury related and all the reporters close to the Lions knew already and didn't think it was news or tweet worthy. There is certainly a personal nature to child birth, and he may have wanted family and friends to know before us.

• Like 1

This Packers team is reeling.  4 straight losses. Down most of their WR room.  Rodgers hasn’t gone over 255 yards all season.   This should be a Lions win that includes points in the 2nd half.  It’s not like Aaron Rodgers is just going to magically turn it on against the Lions and steal a victory out of nowhere…

Packers 24

Lions 23

I guess it's about time to start rooting for draft position once again. I don't know what we get by winning at this point and what value it has to be 5-12 and drafting 9th over 3-14 and drafting 2nd or 3rd. A couple of meaningless wins won't do much for a team who will have a new starting QB and a hopefully overhauled defense next year. #SuckForCJ #BlowItForBryce #LoseForLevis

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I guess it's about time to start rooting for draft position once again. I don't know what we get by winning at this point and what value it has to be 5-12 and drafting 9th over 3-14 and drafting 2nd or 3rd. A couple of meaningless wins won't do much for a team who will have a new starting QB and a hopefully overhauled defense next year. #SuckForCJ #BlowItForBryce #LoseForLevis

Well they are a young team and can build for the future.

Guys playing for jobs

You play to win the game.

Or whatever else bs coach speak cliche that isn't backed up by any evidence you feel like.

30 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Well they are a young team and can build for the future.

Guys playing for jobs

You play to win the game.

Or whatever else bs coach speak cliche that isn't backed up by any evidence you feel like.

Exactly. Youth is a very, very poor excuse. Many other teams are also young and having success. The same as injury excuses. Most teams have multiple injuries.

🤦🏻‍♂️

If anyone thought the Lions would be a good team this season that says more about them than the team. Their roster is still thin, and has been decimated by injuries. They are playing rookies out of necessity. Root for the rookies to fail if you want, but if they end up failing that is not a good sign for next season. 

Next season will be a major talent injection, with Jaymo being like a third first round pick, and the additional second from teasing Hock. (Do we root for Mitchell to fail down the stretch as Hock’s replacement?)