Week Nine: Green Bay Packers (3-5) @ Detroit Lions (1-6)

MichiganCardinal

You can start to see a decent defensive core forming with Okudah, Hutch, Joseph, Rodrigo, and McNeil. Hopefully Paschel and Jacobs develop and Walker recovers next year. Plus there are a few other pieces that you can hold out hope for in Barnes, Levi, and Melifonwu. 

If they stack another good draft like it appears the 2022 may be they should be able to fill most of the gaping holes on defense that still exist. Like an interior DL that can reach the QB, a slot corner, and a LB to replace Anzalone. Plus they will need a #1 CB. 

They have 5 top 75 picks so this will be the offseason where they can improve rapidly. If they restructure or cut Goff and get rid of a few contracts like Brockers, Chark and Okwara they should have enough money to add an impact defensive player through FA or trade.  They will need to hit on whatever QB they bring in though.

22 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

See........it really WAS Aubrey Pleasant's fault !

It really is amazing to me the difference in the secondary. That feels to me like the best game a Lions' secondary has played in 20 years. I don't know if Aubrey Pleasant was teaching something differently than DC wanted or if his players just weren't listening to him - It was such a stark difference.

7 minutes ago, djhutch said:

It really is amazing to me the difference in the secondary. That feels to me like the best game a Lions' secondary has played in 20 years. I don't know if Aubrey Pleasant was teaching something differently than DC wanted or if his players just weren't listening to him - It was such a stark difference.

Campbell wanted them to play more press coverage against Miami and they didn't. Campbell really hinted that they secondary wasn't following gameplan. It did look like more press coverage in this game.

On a side note, Jerry Jacobs had a nice game. Undrafted free agent who had a major knee injury just continues to play well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Him and Walker could be a great pair next season. 

Their skillsets are a perfect match, the thumper and the playmaker. Too early to anoint Joseph but his emergence greatly lessens the need to draft a safety now. Corner, on the other hand, will likely be one of the top priorities.

oruwariye was nowhere to be found now that jacobs is back.  okudah struggled yesterday, imo.  still looks more like a #2 corner or safety.

joseph was awesome yesterday.  i hope he can be out of concussion protocol by sunday.  they need all the guys they can get to play against fields' legs.

12 hours ago, buddha said:

oruwariye was nowhere to be found now that jacobs is back.  okudah struggled yesterday, imo.  still looks more like a #2 corner or safety.

joseph was awesome yesterday.  i hope he can be out of concussion protocol by sunday.  they need all the guys they can get to play against fields' legs.

The fall of Oruwariye is hard to figure out.   He played well last year.  He was 3rd in the league in INT’s and was in the discussion to be a pro bowl alternate.   This was a promising young player that was part of the future.  He’s now closer to being cut than being a starter and that future is looking like having to bounce around practice squads to try and stay in the league.    

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The fall of Oruwariye is hard to figure out.   He played well last year.  He was 3rd in the league in INT’s and was in the discussion to be a pro bowl alternate.   This was a promising young player that was part of the future.  He’s now closer to being cut than being a starter and that future is looking like having to bounce around practice squads to try and stay in the league.    

INTs aren't always the best measure of a defensive back.  There's more than a little luck involved in INTs and with the numbers pretty + or - one INT can shift ranking pretty heavily.  That said, outside of the INTs I thought he looked good so it's sad to see how far he's dropped off. I almost wonder if there's a nagging injury we don't know about?

On a side note: Why did I think we got him last year (2021 draft)?  I was sure he was a rookie last year, but we drafted him in 2019.  Weird.