November Game Threads

lordstanley

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Not watching the game, but was watching the score. I see Chiarot and Seider are both -3 for the game, and Seider has not been the same player this year as last. At what point does the coaching staff admit the pairing is not working?

The defensive failings tonight were mostly forwards not pursuing in their own end, not the D men. Seider did make a blind clearing attempt that led to the 2nd Coyote goal, but otherwise played a strong game.

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The defensive failings tonight were mostly forwards not pursuing in their own end, not the D men. Seider did make a blind clearing attempt that led to the 2nd Coyote goal, but otherwise played a strong game.

I'm still jonesing for Edvinsson to make it up here to Detroit and to get paired up with Seider...

Actually...

I don't think that happens this season...

maybe next year in 2023-24...

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, No, it's like something I think I remember but I can't remember and it's frustrating.  

Harry Nilsson, the Point, 1970. The Rock Man - "You see what you want to see, and hear what you want to hear."

That was my sig line before the forum SW changed and did away with them. The only other avatar I ever used was the Queen of Diamonds  - every day that Trump was in office - in salute to the fact that he was the realization of Frankenheimer's Manchurian Candidate.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I think they had been separated for a bit a few games ago, no?

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I live out of market and don't get to watch often, including last night, so I'm sure you are both right.

Evaluating from afar, it seems that Yzerman's moves (esp. Husso) are paying off big, but Seider's game seems to be suffering. Maybe that's by design and he's being asked to stay at home, meaning the team is playing better defense though Seider's offensive stats are down. But I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about the difference between this year and last. 

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Maybe that's by design and he's being asked to stay at home, meaning the team is playing better defense though Seider's offensive stats are down. But I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about the difference between this year and last. 

You’re definitely not the only one wondering. It would be getting more scrutiny if the team were losing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I live out of market and don't get to watch often, including last night, so I'm sure you are both right.

Evaluating from afar, it seems that Yzerman's moves (esp. Husso) are paying off big, but Seider's game seems to be suffering. Maybe that's by design and he's being asked to stay at home, meaning the team is playing better defense though Seider's offensive stats are down. But I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about the difference between this year and last. 

It's partly Lalonde's system. He has them playing mostly dump and chase, which means that 5 on 5 a foward has to normally be the first player to touch the puck in the offensive zone. Hronek seems to be the only Dman with license to rotate deep in the offensive zone, the rest are mostly all staying back. Dman goals have been there but mostly on special teams and trailing D-men hopping on lose pucks in the slot. On the PP  they are also playing differently - the Dmen are taking fewer long shots looking for deflections - now you have more forwards other than Larkin with the skill to manage the PP from the lower corner with less emphasis on the point (Kubalik, Perron). And maybe the other more subtle thing is that Larkin doesn't look for Sieder as being the only other competent guy on the ice with him as much as he did last season because he has Kubalik. Larkin is still by far the #1 facilitator on this team and whoever he is looking to feed is going to get points.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I really am not a fan of these reverse retro jerseys, the black just doesn't work for me.

I'm not a fan of reverse retro jerseys, period. If I go to one game a year, soak in the whole experience, take a bunch of pics, I want to see the Winged Wheel and the Olde English D, not a red and black  jersey with Detroit on it or Detroit Stars replicas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

...  I thought Chiarot looked pretty bad though, I would love to get him away from Seider....

This is what I've been thinking, but....

A) Maata has been really, really, really good for Hronek... and therefore I do not want to split this pairing up.

B) So the only place for Chiarot (in my mind) is to slide him down to the 3rd pairing... which I think would greatly benefit whoever ends up as his partner down there...

C) However, that means that Edvinsson would need to be ready to bring him up and throw him onto a Seider pairing. But... I'm guessing the Wings don't believe he's ready for that yet so...

We may have to live with Chiarot paired with Seider for awhile...

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Agree with your take.  At this point I would even just try Oesterle with Seider.  You can't break up Maata / Hronek and Wallman is too freewheeling like how Chiarot is playing right now I think.  Chiarot should be the stay at home guy but he has more 5 on 5 shots than Seider does 😕

Oesterle should be fine, he's been better so far this season than last I think, but then again, I'm not really worried about Seider at all.

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Oesterle should be fine, he's been better so far this season than last I think, but then again, I'm not really worried about Seider at all.

No (meaning: I think you're right... no need to worry about Seider)...

But I'd rather give him a good pairing that boosts him up rather than a crappy pairing that is dragging him down...

Edited by 1984Echoes