2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Miller will not be off of the Pistons or any other teams board because of this.  He will still go 5-10 

More like 3-5 if indeed GMs aren't phased by this news. I just think some GMs might be concerned with the company he keeps, that he could put himself in this position again.

To me, he's clearly the 3rd best prospect in this draft ignoring any perceived red flags.

If Miller continues to stat pad against really bad teams like last night, he might go higher.  But truth is, he isn't that good against good teams.  

Against ranked opponents this year: 17 ppg 7 rpg 1.6 apg.  Not bad, but not exactly top 3 pick material.  But the shooting numbers are what is worrisome.  37% from the field.  34% from three.  That includes a game against Houston where he played 30 minutes and had zero FG's.  A game against UNC where he played 48 minutes (4OT game) and had 4 FG's.  

Those are just the raw numbers.  That isn't even bringing up his limitations, very low shot release (He shoots from his chin), and how old he is.  A 19 year old freshman is considered old and Miller is already 20 and will be 21 when the NBA season starts.  

A nice tournament run against solid competition would help alleviate some of those concerns.

So if you go by only numbers, who do you take ahead of him? Walker? No... Whitmore? No... the Thompson twins who play against far inferior competition?... No, George? No  Who do you have in mind that you'd take ahead of him? I'm curious

Also, those games against Houston and North Carolina were much earlier in the year. He's improved since then with his 2 point efficiency in particular. He also had a great game against Gonzaga and a good game against Memphis so there's been some ups and downs against tournament teams. He has loaded up against some lesser competition in SEC play though so we'll see how he does down the stretch.

The age thing is overblown. He's 20 but he doesn't have much college experience.

The age difference is huge and definitely not overblown and it has absolutely nothing to do with experience.  Just look at last night with GG guarding him.  Both are freshman but Miller turned 20 before GG turned 18.  Pretty large physical difference between 20 and 18.

Miller hasn't improved as much as he is just playing worse competition now.  I watched him against Tennessee and he couldn't even get to the rim.  He only took like three two point attempts.  No handle, no burst, couldn't get to the rim or even in the paint.  He ended up just being a spot up shooter, which is what he will most likely be in the NBA.  And thats fine, the league needs a ton of those guys.  Just not sure you draft them top 3.

I take Amen over Miller in a heartbeat.  Although I am also concerned about his age as well.  Miller will be better rookie year and maybe the first two or three since Amen has a lot of work to do.  But he has elite athleticism, elite defense, and elite passing and possibly one of the worst jump shots I ever saw.  But by year 4 or 5 he should be fantastic and possibly challenge Scoot and Victor for best player in the class.  

If Nick Smith Jr gets healthy I think he climbs into the top 5.  He has missed about 12-15 games and played hurt in most other games.  But now that he is getting healthy I think his stock is going to rise quite a bit.

Also kind of stumbled onto Anthony Black while watching Arkansas games to see Smith.  Really good defender, above average passer, gets to the rim pretty easy but can't shoot the three.

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

...  But he has elite athleticism, elite defense, and elite passing and possibly one of the worst jump shots I ever saw...

That sounds like Stanley Johnson 2.0

Or Killian 2.0

"In 4 or 5 years he may be able to hit a 3-point shot...".

Edited by 1984Echoes

OK...

Jarace Walker.

My gosh... in a professional league where 3-pt shot is an almost absolute must...

NONE of these guys in college can hit the 3? Headed to a league that is dominated by that shot? What are they thinking...? I assume they are not following Steph's 500 3-pt shots per day training regimen...?

(I don't remember Steph's actual practice shots per day growing up... from an SI article? But it was an insane amount of daily shots IIRC...). Plus having Dell Curry for a dad probably didn't hurt...

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

The age difference is huge and definitely not overblown and it has absolutely nothing to do with experience.  Just look at last night with GG guarding him.  Both are freshman but Miller turned 20 before GG turned 18.  Pretty large physical difference between 20 and 18.

Miller hasn't improved as much as he is just playing worse competition now.  I watched him against Tennessee and he couldn't even get to the rim.  He only took like three two point attempts.  No handle, no burst, couldn't get to the rim or even in the paint.  He ended up just being a spot up shooter, which is what he will most likely be in the NBA.  And thats fine, the league needs a ton of those guys.  Just not sure you draft them top 3.

I take Amen over Miller in a heartbeat.  Although I am also concerned about his age as well.  Miller will be better rookie year and maybe the first two or three since Amen has a lot of work to do.  But he has elite athleticism, elite defense, and elite passing and possibly one of the worst jump shots I ever saw.  But by year 4 or 5 he should be fantastic and possibly challenge Scoot and Victor for best player in the class.  

If Nick Smith Jr gets healthy I think he climbs into the top 5.  He has missed about 12-15 games and played hurt in most other games.  But now that he is getting healthy I think his stock is going to rise quite a bit.

Also kind of stumbled onto Anthony Black while watching Arkansas games to see Smith.  Really good defender, above average passer, gets to the rim pretty easy but can't shoot the three.

I'm highly disinterested in another Ben Simmons (Amen) so I wouldn't even consider Amen although the Pistons could use a defensive stopper. 

Nick Smith doesn't stand out to me at all. He just looks like an inefficient chucker.

I could see the Anthony Black intrigue because of the archetype and defensive versatility but I have a hard time taking a guy who will likely never be a lead scorer, in a league where scoring is king, in the top 5.

I like Walker but he's mostly projection at this point, same with Whitmore. Guys that look the part and flash some high end skills but that are largely role players at the college level. Granted, they are younger.

I don't know, I see Miller as having the highest floor of all these guys and a pretty high ceiling as well if his in between game continues to progress. At the very least, you're getting a 6'9" elite 3 point shooter that has the length to defend multiple positions. Those guys don't exactly grow on trees. I think he's Jabari Smith with more offensive potential.

Alabama hasn’t benched Brandon Miller. It’s time for that to change

So I reserved judgment. Even argued that Alabama, frankly, had done Miller a disservice. In my opinion, the university should have been transparent from the get-go and said that Miller and Bradley were on site, and though they weren’t guilty of anything beyond bad judgment, they are now suspended for a handful of games to understand the magnitude of consequences for bad decisions. Had the school done that initially, and dealt with the reality instead of going the ostrich route, it would have seemed a whole lot less nefarious than it does now, when Miller’s association comes out only via police testimony.

I still don’t purport to know exactly what happened that night on the Tuscaloosa strip — other than that Jamea Jonae Harris is dead, and her family is left reeling.

I do, however, know what has happened since. Alabama has prioritized playing basketball over discipline and education, again and again. Given the chance to act, the school ducked. Given the chance to educate, it punted.

Even if, like me, you were willing to offer the benefit of the doubt before, it’s no longer a viable option. There is no gray area that requires interpretation here. Brandon Miller intentionally, knowingly and willingly mimicked a pat down days after his name came up in a Tuscaloosa courtroom bond hearing involving a gun and his teammate, who has been charged with capital murder. That is not debatable. He did that. And whether he is either foolish or callous, it no longer matters.

32 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Brandon Miller did not end the regular season on a strong note.  4-24 from three in his last 3 games.  Two of them he shot below 40% from the floor.  Which means in 31 games he has shot >40% from the floor in 10 of them.

He’s been focusing more on setting his teammates up for shots.

Sorry, that was terrible.   Dad jokes for the heartless.