2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Someone died, and that's unfortunately the main issue here.

At the same time, its better for this to be out in the open for the Pistons and other NBA teams that were considering him as a draft selection.

He’s undraftable at this point.  Maybe things become clearer and he’s exonerated but the story seems to be moving in the opposite direction.   At this point, it sure looks like he was an accomplice to a Murder and Alabama, Nate Oats, and Tuscaloosa PD covered it up to keep their dream season alive.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He’s undraftable at this point.  Maybe things become clearer and he’s exonerated but the story seems to be moving in the opposite direction.   At this point, it sure looks like he was an accomplice to a Murder and Alabama, Nate Oats, and Tuscaloosa PD covered it up to keep their dream season alive.   

Sure.  Can you imagine this story coming out a week after the draft, being the team that drafted him?

I suppose this is a case where the cover up isn't worse than the crime.  Someone died in the crime, so, tough to be worse than that.  But, this is going to be quite ugly.  I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama were excused from the tournament.

My question is, how the hell did this get swept under the rug for so long? It's not like Miller is a low profile athlete. I think Alabama/Nate Oats are in for a serious hurting as more details emerge. As far as Miller is concerned, bye bye draft stock. 

From a Pistons (much less important) perspective, this sucks because I saw him as a clear #3 for them so this now narrows the room for error when they inevitably drop in the lottery. I like Jarace Walker and Whitmore shows some flashes but it's slim pickings beyond the top 2 with Miller gone. The Thompson twins look like athletes with not much else to offer so no thanks on either of them. 

Edited by NYLion

Preliminary hearing in killing of Jamea Harris, police testify Darius Miles texted Brandon Miller to bring murder weapon

After the encounter, the suspects walked to a nearby parking lot around 1:40 a.m. Around the same time according to text messages shown in court, Miles texted Miller, "I need my joint a n****r rl jus got fakin".

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

How is Miller not an accessory to murder...he provided the weapon.  Did he think the guy was going out deer hunting?

If I'm reading it correctly Miller wasn't there.

Miles texted Miller basically "where's my weapon?" and Miller told him. 

I'm not certain how much he was involved with his car, whether he purposefully left it there... or how much he knew about Miles' intentions. 

Maybe he knew everything and was standing nearby or something...? But it didn't read like that; although I've been known to misread things...

Miller was there.

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabamas-brandon-miller-could-have-stopped-a-tragedy-he-didnt-235307398.html?ncid=twitter_yahoosport_dw14wrbb51g

On the return trip, police allege that Miller parked his car in a manner that blocked the Jeep that Harris, her boyfriend and a cousin, who is an Alabama student, were in. Bradley also allegedly parked his car in that manner.

It was about to get even more elevated. When Miller arrived, Miles and Davis got in his car, according to testimony. It was there that Miles took the gun and then handed it to Davis, telling him, "There’s one in the head,” a reference, police testified, to a bullet being in the chamber.

With the gun in his hand, Davis walked up and “began firing through the driver’s side window of the Jeep,” AL.com reported. “He fired at least eight shots, some of them while running in an arc from the driver’s side around the back of the vehicle.”

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

As far as his draft status.  If he never gets charged with anything and nothing else new comes out, he 100% gets drafted.

as he should.

i might take a look at the young man's character, but something like this where he wasnt charged shouldnt be a reason for him to be excluded from playing nba basketball.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

as he should.

i might take a look at the young man's character, but something like this where he wasnt charged shouldnt be a reason for him to be excluded from playing nba basketball.

Agree but from a PR standpoint, I’m not sure a global organization like the NBA can let a small town Alabama police department be the sole determiner on the morality of the situation and if it makes sense for the NBA for Miller to be in the league right now.    

We’ve see recent situations in baseball  and hockey where players were not allowed to play for past moral outrages even if the law said it was ok.  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Agree but from a PR standpoint, I’m not sure a global organization like the NBA can let a small town Alabama police department be the sole determiner on the morality of the situation and if it makes sense for the NBA for Miller to be in the league right now.    

We’ve see recent situations in baseball  and hockey where players were not allowed to play for past moral outrages even if the law said it was ok.  

i understand your point, but i disagree with many (most?) of those other situations.  

but for pr purposes youre probably right.  although the bucks did just give meyers leonard a ten day contract.  now, leonard did something MOST people would agree if less harmful than what miller is accused by many of doing, but maybe its a sign that some corporations are ready to provide people with second chances again?

probably not.

as to miller, there is a dispute that his car was blocking anyone.  he claims to merely have parked the car, told the other dude where it was, and then left for dinner.  do i beleive that?  hmmm....dunno.

My worry about the situation is that even if Miller is completely innocent and legit had no idea what was going to happen just the thought that he would put himself in that position to begin with concerns me.  I know "kids will be kids" and things like that but he was on the fast track to making 10s of millions of dollars and being a top 5 pick and he still chooses to put himself in positions like that and hang around people like that. To me if I was an Executive I would just fear that it's just a matter of time where he puts himself in a situation like this again. 

3 hours ago, buddha said:

as he should.

He'll get drafted but I don't see how his draft stock doesn't take a hit. He was still involved one way or another and I'm sure that will scare some GMs from investing a high pick in him. Weaver is big on character guys so I bet he'll be off the Pistons board.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Miller will not be off of the Pistons or any other teams board because of this.  He will still go 5-10 

The text messages will make that determination.  If it turns out his lawyer is full of shit and Miller knew about the gun being in his car, knew that an altercation happened and a shooting was going down, then he’s fucked and nobody is taking him.   The texts before and after will get subpoenaed and will tell all.   

24 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The text messages will make that determination.  If it turns out his lawyer is full of shit and Miller knew about the gun being in his car, knew that an altercation happened and a shooting was going down, then he’s fucked and nobody is taking him.   The texts before and after will get subpoenaed and will tell all.   

Nothing will impact his draft stock unless he is charged.  Even then it will be 50/50.

We are talking about a league who put Karl Malone front and center this past weekend.  A guy who impregnated a 13 year old when he was 20.  

Wait and see what happens with Mikal Bridges.  I am guessing they already know how long  his suspension will be.  When there are that many games left in the season Charlotte will sign him and he will sit out the remainder of the season, then come back next training camp like nothing happened.