2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

A lot of concern about his jump shot, especially with that lower FT%.  But he possesses elite skills you cant teach and most think you can teach shooting.  Fox is another guy who is making it work without shooting, but lets see how he does in the playoffs first.

Yeah there are quite a few cases of guys shooting getting better, just off the top of my head Maxey comes to mind. I remember pre draft there were concerns cause he was sub 30% which is why I think he dropped but now he is over 40. His FT% was 83% though vs. Scoot's in the mid 70s but with that small of sample just a few makes or misses could close that gap. 

23 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Lonzo Ball is a good one.  Shot 25% (72% FT) in Australia and is now about a 37-38% 3PT shooter.   From that same draft you could look at Anthony Edwards.   29% at Georgia and is shooting 37% this year.

Jaylen Brown another example, sub 30 in college but for most of his NBA career has been in the upper 30s. 

Ivey and Cunningham in the backcourt, Wembanyama and Duren in the frontcourt as starters.

Hayes and Burks in the backcourt, Stewart and Wiseman in the frontcourt off of the bench.

Omoruyi to start and Bogdanovic as the scorer off of the bench?  Who says no?

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

In the four games since I insulted Jabari Smith Jr.  He has averaged 20 PPG, 10 RPG and shooting 57% from the field and 56% from three.

I was going to point that out last night when I was checking box scores, at the time I checked he was like 8-9 for 20 some points. 

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I believe it. Been saying it for a while, Miller is the #3 in this draft and I could see a few teams liking him more than Scoot because he fits the modern NBA archetype with size and shooting (not to mention the improved shot creation) more than a shortish PG with a questionable outside shot. Not to say that Miller is the better prospect but I could see a case for at least a discussion between the two to be had by some.

Edited by NYLion

Miller is still an interesting case.  It looks as if the biased local authorities won’t bring charges, but there’s going to be a civil case from the victims family.  There will be discovery and it will include the entire text exchanges before during and after.    Everyone will know if his story that he was an innocent mule who had no idea what was happening was true or if he indeed knew exactly what he was doing when he delivered the murder weapon.   It’s going to be a big problem if he lied and is later found to be an accomplice to murder.  The challenge is that none of this happening prior to draft day and will create a huge gamble for whoever drafts him. 

Edited by Hongbit

44 minutes ago, casimir said:

What a mess.

Alabama isn't the type of program that would have 4 guys at a murder.  2 is the max.

My favorite part is that they only say 2 teammates were there.  Of course it was 3 because  Miles was on the team at the time.  But after being charged with murder they kicked him off the team and now claim only two guys were there.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Alabama isn't the type of program that would have 4 guys at a murder.  2 is the max.

My favorite part is that they only say 2 teammates were there.  Of course it was 3 because  Miles was on the team at the time.  But after being charged with murder they kicked him off the team and now claim only two guys were there.  

I don't know the whole story, and I am completely unqualified to be a basketball GM.  But with what I know about it, I wouldn't touch Miller in the draft.  The risk doesn't seem worth the reward.  Trade out if it, let another GM rolls the bones on Miller.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

The Pistons are an awfully young team.  The decision making by Miller leading up to the murder, while he may not have pulled the trigger, there were opportunities for him to duck out of the issue and not be associated with it, and maybe it ultimately wouldn't have gone down at all.  I'm not sure I want that kind of decision making and off court mess around the rest of the team.  Sure, they ain't all choir boys.  But why bring that into the fold?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know the whole story, and I am completely unqualified to be a basketball GM.  But with what I know about it, I wouldn't touch Miller in the draft.  The risk doesn't seem worth the reward.  Trade out if it, let another GM rolls the bones on Miller.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

The Pistons are an awfully young team.  The decision making by Miller leading up to the murder, while he may not have pulled the trigger, there were opportunities for him to duck out of the issue and not be associated with it, and maybe it ultimately wouldn't have gone down at all.  I'm not sure I want that kind of decision making and off court mess around the rest of the team.  Sure, they ain't all choir boys.  But why bring that into the fold?

He definitely showed bad judgment that night.  I think from a legal aspect he is fine.  But if someone texts me to bring them a gun at 1:30AM I know what is up.  

This is what Weaver said before last years draft:

Weaver: For me, the fit is easy because we’re trying to draft the right person. The person is going to fit. Now, on the basketball, Coach Casey and his staff can figure (that) out. We’re going to get the right fit as a person. I’m not hung up on position or anything like that. Cade with Isaiah (Stewart), Saddiq (Bey), Killian (Hayes) and Saben (Lee) … Isaiah Livers and Luka (Garza) fit. We’re going to get the right person. I wouldn’t get hung up on who fits with this person, which skill set. No, we’re going to bring the right person in the building.

I don't see how Miller is even on Detroit's board after hearing Weaver say that.

• Like 1