2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

One of those times I am perfectly content getting #2 and might even prefer it at this point.

That’s crazy talk.   This kid looks as can’t miss as there ever was.   Injury looks to be the only thing that can derail him.  

6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Take away his height and athleticism.  What makes him cant miss?

I don’t understand where you are going. He has both of these things. You can’t just randomly remove them from his game.  

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Just tell me what makes him cant miss.  

His basketball talent and professional experience combined with his size and athleticism.   We’ve probably never seen another player with this combination and certainly not one as advanced at age 17.  

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

His basketball talent and professional experience combined with his size and athleticism.   We’ve probably never seen another player with this combination and certainly not one as advanced at age 17.  

Victor is 19 years old and will be considered a 20 year old for his rookie NBA season.  

His professional experience is a lot compared to Americans.  But means nothing comparing him to other foreign players.  Luka turned pro at 15 just like Victor.  Rubio was 14.  It is a lot more common for Europeans to turn pro at an early age since they don't do college athletics.  

Victor has a really good shot at being the best player in this draft.  But there are red flags that people just overlook because he is tall and athletic.  Anyone coming into the league who cant shoot, and Victor can't shoot, can not be called cant miss.  Big upside, big bust potential.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

he is not a "cant miss" prospect.  he is the best prospect in this draft and the best prospect to come along in a while.

There is no such thing as a cant miss prospect.  He’s the closest that we’ve seen since Lebron.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Victor is 19 years old and will be considered a 20 year old for his rookie NBA season.  

His professional experience is a lot compared to Americans.  But means nothing comparing him to other foreign players.  Luka turned pro at 15 just like Victor.  Rubio was 14.  It is a lot more common for Europeans to turn pro at an early age since they don't do college athletics.  

Victor has a really good shot at being the best player in this draft.  But there are red flags that people just overlook because he is tall and athletic.  Anyone coming into the league who cant shoot, and Victor can't shoot, can not be called cant miss.  Big upside, big bust potential.

Absolute Ridiculousness.  

Right now at age 19, Vic is the best shooter over 7’2 in the history of basketball and he’s only going to get better.    

As for the other Euro pros,  how many averaged 32 and 10 with 3 blocks.   He’s dominating grown men now and he’s just scratching the surface of his game.

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Absolute Ridiculousness.  

Right now at age 19, Vic is the best shooter over 7’2 in the history of basketball and he’s only going to get better.    

As for the other Euro pros,  how many averaged 32 and 10 with 3 blocks.   He’s dominating grown men now and he’s just scratching the surface of his game.

Porzingis is 7'4" and pretty sure he shoots 36-37% from three.  So Victor, at 29% from three, isn't even the best shooting Euro over 7'2".

You got me on the second one.  Absolutely none of them averaged 32 points per game.  Of course that includes Victor since he only averages 21 PPG, slightly less than 32.  

13 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Porzingis is 7'4" and pretty sure he shoots 36-37% from three.  So Victor, at 29% from three, isn't even the best shooting Euro over 7'2".

You got me on the second one.  Absolutely none of them averaged 32 points per game.  Of course that includes Victor since he only averages 21 PPG, slightly less than 32.  

Yeah, I’m the idiot here.   Haha.

Your take is still trash though.  

Edited by Hongbit

sam vecenie:

We haven’t had a prospect like Wembanyama in a while, a 7-foot-4 potential superstar who can create his own shot off the bounce in transition, out of isolation, out of mid-post sets and as a dynamic pick-and-roll threat. He’s also an elite shot blocker who led EuroLeague in that category last year as an 18-year-old — a ridiculous accomplishment. Barring some sort of injury-concern-based question in the pre-draft process, he will be the No. 1 pick.

almost 50% from the field and almost 85% from the line.  dude can shoot.  he's a very athletic 7 footer with a smooth shot that looks good.  the fact that he can shoot free throws at a high percentage shows he can shoot.  anyone who watches him can see he has a very good stroke.

del is being del.  wembanyama is the best prospect since lebron.  to compare him to porzingis is to not watch them play.  they are very different players.

the concern with wembanyama is the concern with all big men: the wear and tear on his feet.  will he be able to survive an 82 game nba season?

that said, giannis has done it.  but he cant shoot 3 pointers so del thinks he's overrated too.

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

One of those times I am perfectly content getting #2 and might even prefer it at this point.

You say that now but when Weaver takes Miller over Henderson, you'll be regretting those words. 

All this talk is moot anyway because we all know the Pistons are ending up with the 4th or 5th pick and will take one of the twins to play for their coach Kevin Ollie.

Edited by NYLion
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Great piece on Vic.   Praying for another miracle even through this franchise doesn’t deserve it.  We’ve seen it before with Cleveland and Minnesota winning it twice in short order.  

Doesn't deserve it? The Pistons, outside of one occasion, have been shafted by the lottery more than any other franchise, literally every time outside of the Cade lottery. Yeah they shamelessly tanked this season but teams do that every year.

34 minutes ago, NYLion said:

You say that now but when Weaver takes Miller over Henderson, you'll be regretting those words. 

Ain't that the truth.

I wouldn't take him #2 but I really like Taylor Hendricks. If they could trade beck a bit and pick up another asset plus Hendricks I would love it.

• Like 1

I'm with you on Hendricks. I have him in my top 5.

I'd love #1 because having Victor would be fun. Who knows how long a guy like that can stay healthy, but he'd be great to watch paired with Cade, Ivey, and Duren for as long as his feet last.

As for #2, I'd be looking to trade it. We're sitting here talking about guys who can't shoot and here's one who can't shoot and doesn't have any size. I don't need the second coming of Eric Bledsoe next to Cade and Ivey.