2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

I know nothing about the players but philosophy wise my view on who to take comes down to how you feel about Cade and Ivey.

If you think 1 or both are potential All NBA guys then you really don't need to shoot for the moon on a boom or bust guy and can settle for a player that could fill the role of a player you're looking for. 

Otoh if you don't have that feeling and think that isn't going to be the case with them and you still feel you need to find that franchise cornerstone maybe you take a chance on a high upside raw player that has superstar potential albeit being far from a sure thing. Maybe like a Shaeden Sharpe type from last year. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

The Athletic did a mock draft with all the teams beat writers.  JEIII picked Amen for Detroit.  Victor, Scoot, Miller, and Whitmore went top 4.  

I find it hard to believer that Houston would pass on Amen.  They need a PG in the worst way.

Agree. He's a perfect fit for their needs and probably BPA as well.

I don't see a fit for the Pistons at all. A primary ballhandler that can't shoot, makes no sense whatsoever. I know that drafting for fit is a bad idea but I don't see Amen as far and away the BPA either so take the best fit if all else is fairly equal and there's a bunch of guys that fit that mold in the Pistons range.

Edited by NYLion

13 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I like Hendricks a lot as well, and pairing him with Duren would be fun defensively. Still, I have Cam one slot higher just like Vecenie due to what I believe is a higher ceiling. Hendricks is rising up draft boards but I’m not seeing too many that have him over Whitmore. 

And speaking of combine measurements, Whitmore is a 94th percentile athlete based upon draft measurements since 2000. He’ll also be just 18 on draft night. 

So our options for a 3&D at the #5 spot are:

Miller/ Whitmore/ Hendricks...? and at least one if not more than one will be available at #5.

I guess we'll have to live with that.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

So our options for a 3&D at the #5 spot are:

Miller/ Whitmore/ Hendricks...? and at least one if not more than one will be available at #5.

I guess we'll have to live with that.

Maybe a 1% chance Miller is available at 5, so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that.

One of Whitmore or Hendricks will be available and I'd be happy with either of them.

You'll find others who are high on Ausar Thompson and Jarace Walker, both of whom will be available in that range. Walker is definitely a Weaver guy, so it wouldn't shock me if we picked him. But, if we sign Ollie as our head coach you can pretty much guarantee it'll be Ausar Thompson (assuming Amen is gone as expected).

Yeah I wasn't commenting specifically on Miller's chances of getting to #5 as much as (1%? Probably... but then stranger things have happened so I don't want to completely rule him out... but most likely...):

My interest in a SF-sized 3&D guy. I don't want an athlete that can't shoot. Or a PG that can't shoot. If we lost out on #1 my next target was Miller. But if Whitmore and Hendricks also fall into that bucket of "can hit the 3/ excellent spot-up shooter/ excellent defense", and maybe they're better defenders/ not quite as good a shooters as Miller which could still work, then those 3 are the guys I'm looking at. Maybe Weaver is correct that there's little difference between 3 to 8. On that... I can live with whoever falls to #5 and I won't sweat it if Miller ain't there.

But I still hate mf'ing lotteries just like the Bubonic Plague... I don't give an "F" about tanking... but that's just me. I'm really getting annoyed over Detroit teams getting screwed in nearly every single lottery though...

56 minutes ago, Adullin said:

It's hard to make an argument that the lottery is not fixed with the Spurs going up again. My only question is why is Detroit looked down on so much? We have a big market. Why not? 

detroit is not a big market.

11 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I wish we could've draft Shaedon Sharpe last year...I really like him.  Tough to bitch about Ivey...but I really like Sharpe

People here have a fascination with sharp that is reminiscent of Aaron curry in football

35 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Silly me...I like talented basketball players

He didn't make an all rookie team

Could he still grow into something, sure. Calling him talented seems like a stretch and he was no better than ivey this year. 

The love some pistons fans have for him is all paper and not what he actually is/has done.

I think I like Cam Whitmore or Taylor Hendricks at 5 just looking over numbers.  I see Jarace Walker mentioned, but I don't like his shooting percentages as much.

So, here's something that hasn't been brought up.  Would it be worth trading up into 2-4?

Or, would it be worth trading down for ****/Sensabaugh/Whitehead/Murray?

Tough to say on either trade scenarios without knowing what the other pieces are and what happens with the rest of the roster.

Edited by casimir