2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

lol pistons. I knew they'd finish 4th or 5th.

Eh, it's not the end of the world. Wembanyama was the real prize, I don't think they were ever drafting Scoot anyway so it's Miller and a few other guys where I don't see a big spread so whatever. 

The takeaway from this is that Weaver will actually have to do his job now. No gift from the lottery gods so now he really needs to go to work.

33 minutes ago, Hart said:

I am not sure #2 or #5 is much different for us.  Scoot was not a fit for us.  So we would have had to draft him and trade him.  Obviously, I'd prefer 2 over 5 but the real miss here is not getting #1 and only one team was going to win this lottery. 

Agreed, I said the same in the previous post. It's not the end of the world. The odds favored 4th or 5th anyway so this shouldn't come as a surprise. It sucks but it'll be fine.

I don't see much of a difference between 3-5 but I do think getting 2 would've been a real bonus even if we didn't draft Scoot. I think the consensus is that Scoot is on his own tier after Wemby so I'm sure there would've been atleast 1 team in the market to trade up for him if we indeed didn't want to take him. Potentially could've ended up with say the 5th or 6th pick plus another asset or two. 

53 minutes ago, Hart said:

I am not sure #2 or #5 is much different for us.  Scoot was not a fit for us.  So we would have had to draft him and trade him.  Obviously, I'd prefer 2 over 5 but the real miss here is not getting #1 and only one team was going to win this lottery. 

Get out of here with your stupid ****ing logic, you’re making our whine sour and ruining our pity party. 😁

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Weaver just said that he felt that picks 3-8 are interchangeable this year so presumably he must have had Scoot on his own tier. 

If he really feels that way, he needs to be working the phones with 6, 7, and 8 to see if they would like to move up to 5 and what they will pay to do so.

33 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The takeaway from this is that Weaver will actually have to do his job now. No gift from the lottery gods so now he really needs to go to work.

Yes, it’s time to get out of the lottery.  They have Cunningham and Ivey in the back court, and Duren in the front court.  They have the 5th, they have cap space, they have other movable pieces.  It’s time to put a competitive team on the court.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

It sucks because they put these stupid new rules in to avoid tanking and the Pistons didn’t tank.  They just sucked really bad.   San Antonio tanked and gets the pick.   **** this league.

The Pistons didn’t fool around with their lineup at times the season?  Come on now….

Sam Vecenie release a post lottery mock.  He has Detroit taking Whitmore which would be really disappointing.  He has  Hendricks going 6th.

He says he shot 39.4% from the field but he meant from three.

If Hendricks is at 5 he should absolutely be the pick.  I love everything I have watched about him.

Taylor Hendricks | 6-9 forward | 19 years old | UCF

The Scout: Hendricks is the biggest riser of this draft class. He’s over 6-9 in shoes and has over a 7-foot wingspan. He’s an elite defensive player and has real athleticism. He slides his feet incredibly well as an on-ball defender and has real switchability. Off the ball, he’s very impactful as a weakside rim protector who can fly over in help situations and block shots. And offensively, Hendricks was very valuable. He averaged 15.1 points and seven rebounds while shooting 39.4 percent from the field on real volume. Hendricks need to improve as an offensive playmaker and ballhandler. But it’s easy to imagine Hendricks stepping into the NBA early and playing relatively early as a useful 3-and-D player while he continues to round out his game.

I like Hendricks a lot as well, and pairing him with Duren would be fun defensively. Still, I have Cam one slot higher just like Vecenie due to what I believe is a higher ceiling. Hendricks is rising up draft boards but I’m not seeing too many that have him over Whitmore. 

And speaking of combine measurements, Whitmore is a 94th percentile athlete based upon draft measurements since 2000. He’ll also be just 18 on draft night. 

Edited by Betrayer
  • Thanks 1

Package the pick and go get Ayton....then our roster will look really stupid.

I think the Tigers took all of the lottery luck for Detroit by moving up to 3rd in a draft with three guys who would be 1-1 level picks most years.

Edited by Shinzaki

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Givony has us taking Jarace Walker out of Houston at 5. He has Victor, Miller, Scoot and Amen going in that order ahead of us. 

That's who I think Weaver will take. NBA build, athletic defender, length. He kind of looks like Stewart even although their games are different. I think Whitmore or Walker will likely be the pick and I'd take Walker of the two.

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

JEIII: if the pistons make the pick, one of these four will be pistons:

cam whitmore

amen thompson

jarace walker

anthony black

Wow.  Amen will probably be gone but if not I would like him at 5.  Those other guys are a huge pass.

• Like 1