2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

1 hour ago, buddha said:

is scoot a ja morant type player without the gun fetish?

A lot of similarities for sure.  The one big difference IMO is that Scoot has a higher BBIQ.  I think if you take away Morants explosiveness/athleticism he would be a pretty bad player.  If you do that to Scoot he is still pretty smart/crafty and would be able to contribute still.

Morant is always going full speed and he doesn't know how to dial it back.  But how often do you see him get frustrated and just go crashing into the paint against three guys with the hope of hitting a circus shot and/or picking up a foul?  It is one of my biggest complaints against him.

Scoot is much more like Cade when it comes to court vision and BBIQ.  He has that little hesitation/stutter step that slows things down and lets the play develop more.  It allows his big to get a better angle on the screen and keep the defender on his hip, and at that point Scoot is so athletic that defender will never recover.  He is much better at getting the ball to the right spot on the floor to exploit the defense a lot like Cade does.  

I doubt Scoot ever becomes a good shooter.  His form is decent and consistent so maybe I'm wrong.  It would just be gravy if he does.  

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m feeling like we are going to land 3rd or 4th.  I’ll be shocked if they can hold o for pick 1.   My gut is saying Portland or Washington. 

bulls

(they had less of a chance to get the #1 pick when they landed derrick rose but SOMEHOW the lottery balls fell their way...)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Hollingers article this morning talks about his top 20 guys in the draft.  Talking about Victor he mentions the amount of guys 7'3" or taller that have played 1000 games.  Zero.  Mark Eaton has played the most at 875.

Not a ton of guys who were that tall so it is a small sample size obviously.  

One interesting thing.  I saw he has Cam Whitmore #3 on his board ahead of Miller.  

How many guys at 7'3"+ have had Wemby's skillset though? Injuries are always a concern with every big guy really but the skillset is just too unique to pass up on.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

i like how you cant write out gradey's last name.

i want them to take victor and then go for the best 3 and d wing they can find if they dont get #1.

how does scoot fit on the pistons?  a point guard with handle who isnt a great shooter?  do we think he becomes chris paul?

what could they reasonably deal #2 for?  does philly decide to rebuild if harden leaves?  do you go for embiid and see if they bite?

I know you were asking Del but I think you just take the best talent available which is Scoot at 2. If not him then trade down is what I'd do because that's a premium asset either way.

It doesn't matter because we all know the Pistons are drafting 4th or 5th and yes, it's me throwing in that reverse psychology thing but also percentages.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

what could they reasonably deal #2 for?  does philly decide to rebuild if harden leaves?  do you go for embiid and see if they bite?

I'm immediately looking for trades if we get #2 and putting feelers out for #3 as well in case Scoot drops past #2.

Brooklyn is my first call. Are they going to try to blow it up and rebuild or do they think they'll attract a star to play with their team full of role players? If it's the former, I'm checking to see if they want Scoot, #31, and Bogie (cap relief) for Bridges. It's a long shot, but I'm trying.

Orlando is my second call. Give me #6 and #12 in exchange for #2. I'll take Hendrix at #6 and Gradey D or something at #12.

55 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Even if we can get Wemby...can he displace Bagley?

Yeah...I'm kidding.  I do wonder how he might co-exist with Duren.  Although Duren's 7-5 wingspan and Wemby's est 8 ft would make for some interesting defense around the rim

It's a great pairing. Duren will take the pounding inside to save Wemby's body. Allows Wemby to be a roaming shot blocker and help defender, which is where he'll thrive rather than trying to hang in the post against the bigger bodies. Duren is also a good passer and a great offensive rebounder. With all the attention on Wemby, Cade, and Ivey he'd really thrive in those roles as well.

Edited by Betrayer

9 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I'm immediately looking for trades if we get #2 and putting feelers out for #3 as well in case Scoot drops past #2.

Brooklyn is my first call. Are they going to try to blow it up and rebuild or do they think they'll attract a star to play with their team full of role players? If it's the former, I'm checking to see if they want Scoot, #31, and Bogie (cap relief) for Bridges. It's a long shot, but I'm trying.

Orlando is my second call. Give me #6 and #12 in exchange for #2. I'll take Hendrix at #6 and Gradey D or something at #12.

It's a great pairing. Duren will take the pounding inside to save Wemby's body. Allows Wemby to be a roaming shot blocker and help defender, which is where he'll thrive rather than trying to hang in the post against the bigger bodies. Duren is also a good passer and a great offensive rebounder. With all the attention on Wemby, Cade, and Ivey he'd really thrive in those roles as well.

I’d prefer win the lottery, but I am curious if they consider moving the pick if it isn’t the top pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

I'm immediately looking for trades if we get #2 and ...

I'd look at the first few teams drafting immediately after us... within the top 4 I think. If we could get another asset (a young player), plus drop from #2 to 3 or 4, and still get a player Weaver wants... to me that's 1st choice. Now, granted, I have no clue how NBA draft trades work, especially within the top 6 picks or so... so I might be totally talking out my, umm, yeah. Maybe those trades are non-existent. But I'd be looking for some young 3&D guy to add to a top 4 draftee... if that's workable/ viable/ realistic. First choice IMO.

... Orlando is my second call. Give me #6 and #12 in exchange for #2. I'll take Hendrix at #6 and Gradey D or something at #12...

I think that works within the top 4 or maybe even 5 (I don't know where the drop offs are this year)... but at 6 (trading up to 2) I'm asking for next year's 1st as well. Maybe that's too much... but I'm asking... I believe quality trumps quantity in the NBA by a monstrous margin and that's what NBA GM's both believe and operate on... that belief. So I'm asking outside of (I think) the top 4 for an overwhelming package.

Also, on that basis... what package could we be offered for the #1 pick (if we are so fortunate) that is a trade "offer that just cannot be refused."

... It's a great pairing. Duren will take the pounding inside to save Wemby's body. Allows Wemby to be a roaming shot blocker and help defender, which is where he'll thrive rather than trying to hang in the post against the bigger bodies. Duren is also a good passer and a great offensive rebounder. With all the attention on Wemby, Cade, and Ivey he'd really thrive in those roles as well.

ditto.