Random Randomness.

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

From what I heard the ESPN reporter say happened as he observed it.

There was a backup from an accident.  He went around that to get to the front of the gate.  They are in marked cars identifying them as players.  He drove past a cop car and a cop jumped on the car and then he stopped the car after about 10 yards  Then the cop dragged him out.

I don't think he's acting entitled.  He's a participant in the event so it's natural to assume they are given instructions to safely go around any backups and go to the front of the line to be let in whereever they need to go. The cop could have easily figured this all out instead of being dramatic. 

Yeah that makes more sense. I mean why jump on the car? 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Props to Scottie for completely keeping his cool.  Didn't play the "Do you know who I am" card, just did what he was told. I understand they are in marked player courtesy cars.  He didn't know it was an accident.  Just assumed it's fan traffic and that's whey they have marked cars, isn't it?

Yep, considering that one of the ESPN reporters who happened to witness the event was asked by the remaining officers if they knew the name of the man they just hauled off.

Thankfully it wasn’t Sahith Theegala or Tony Finau that got stopped by Louisville PD.   I cant imagine how that would’ve went down.

On a side note, the biggest crime is this golf course.  It’s not major championship quality.  

Gillis wasn’t assigned to the tournament.  He was only there responding to the fatal accident.  Apparently, all the Louisville PD that were assigned to work the tournament were shocked and super pissed that they arrested Scottie.  

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

The memes and jokes around all of this were top notch... yeah Gillis is probably going to want to transfer.

To a department that may actually hold people like him accountable?

I came across a former teacher at the TN School for the Deaf.  It's located in Knoxville. She had 2 students from Memphis.  The kids would take a plane back and forth from Memphis to Knoxville each day.  That was cheaper than a bus or cab and legally they have to provide transportation.

I've done the drive west from Knoxville on I 40 and at some spots if you let off the pedals your vehicle will approach 80 to 90 on the decline from the mountains to just hills.

As a kid driving to TN every year I hated Ohio.  As an adult we used to make that trip very early in the morning to beat the Cincy rush hour.  Last month I went by myself and Ohio didn't bother me until I got to Dayton.  From Toledo to Dayton it was great, it's cruise control time and little traffic.  As a driver it makes a huge difference I think.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

This kinda came up in some of my bracketology dabbling this year. Tennessee was high enough up in the seeding to get geographic preference. They were assigned to Charlotte, but Indianapolis was also closer to Memphis.

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

As a kid driving to TN every year I hated Ohio.  As an adult we used to make that trip very early in the morning to beat the Cincy rush hour.  Last month I went by myself and Ohio didn't bother me until I got to Dayton.  From Toledo to Dayton it was great, it's cruise control time and little traffic.  As a driver it makes a huge difference I think.  

I grew up in that stretch, and an old wive's tail that was told was that stretch of 75 had the most sleeping related accidents in the country. No idea if it is true. Findlay always seems to be under perpetual construction, and the little stretch between Sidney and Piqua can get dicey, but is better now that they redid that bridge.

19 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I grew up in that stretch, and an old wive's tail that was told was that stretch of 75 had the most sleeping related accidents in the country. No idea if it is true. Findlay always seems to be under perpetual construction, and the little stretch between Sidney and Piqua can get dicey, but is better now that they redid that bridge.

Along that stretch I noticed signs about zero tolerance for using your phone.  They called them "distracted driver free zones" or something like that. 

Having the trucks around was just enough to keep me entertained and alert but it was nice to not have to use my feet.  Giving them their space to go around another truck, that kind of thing.  I enjoy it.    

I wanted to give myself more time to visit the Armstrong museum but coudn't swing it. 

52 minutes ago, oblong said:

Along that stretch I noticed signs about zero tolerance for using your phone.  They called them "distracted driver free zones" or something like that. 

Having the trucks around was just enough to keep me entertained and alert but it was nice to not have to use my feet.  Giving them their space to go around another truck, that kind of thing.  I enjoy it.    

I wanted to give myself more time to visit the Armstrong museum but coudn't swing it. 

It's a tourist trap without much. Honestly, the lobby at the Armstrong Building at Purdue has more Armstrong artifacts. That museum lost me when they did the OHIO post last year.

56 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

It's a tourist trap without much. Honestly, the lobby at the Armstrong Building at Purdue has more Armstrong artifacts. That museum lost me when they did the OHIO post last year.

ha ha Yes  I remember that... while wearing space suits with patches from another Apollo mission.  Mostly I just want to see the Gemini 8 capsule.  I have a goal to see all the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo capsules.  The one in London might be hard though.

Not to diss Armstrong himself because while he was a little aloof, his peers consistently praised his seriousness.  He didn't preach, wasn't a loud mouth, and when he spoke up about something you knew it was legitimate and his words were always very precise.  But he lucked out with that mission.  His only other flight was Gemini 8 which had serious problems a few hours into it, they almost died.  A stuck thruster put them into a violent roll, almost a full revolution per second.  That all happened out of contact with mission control and his solution meant they had to immediately end it.   The fact Apollo 11 was the first to land meant all of the work on preceeding missions had to go as planned, not something they could reasonably predict given the unknowns.  And when they swapped objectives on Apollo 8 and 9, it meant he rotated into Apollo 11 rather than 12 due to his backup assignment.  It originally was meant for Pete Conrad's crew.   But he never claimed special credit for being first.  He knew he was part of a 400,000 member team.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:16 AM, Hongbit said:

The cop who completely overreacted is facing a career change.  

He missed the class at police academy about who he can bring the hammer down on and who to let go.

This week is the 55th anniversary of Apollo 10, the dress rehearsal for Apollo 11, the moon landing.  Apollo 10 featured what's known in space geek circles as "Turdgate".  Here's the trancript.  If you care CDR is Commander Tom Stafford, CMP is Command Module Pilot John Young, and LMP Lunar Module Pilot Gene Cernan.

435981714_10233028842771147_449179261141804997_n.jpg