Random Randomness.

Was on a boat today for a lunch cruise on the Detroit River with our department from work.   There is no way we could have had better weather.   It was absolutely perfect.  

One of the workers on the boat sounded just like John Goodman and all I could think of was the bank robbery scene in Raising Arizona. 

"Y'all hear that?  We usin' code names"

May be an image of ocean and skyscraper

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Freep: Miller's Bar in Dearborn Listed For Sale

They better not close down Miller's once the sale goes through.

They are asking 4 mil...doubt someone pays 4 mil for that corner just to tear it down...you are paying for the brand and the name recognition...I mean the burgers are good, but they are not THAT good....yet people still flock just because of the name.

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Freep: Miller's Bar in Dearborn Listed For Sale

They better not close down Miller's once the sale goes through.

new owners want it to remain as is... which I hope. Admittedly I haven't been there in years because I had closer options for a good bar burger and I thought they were a little pricey there.  But I appreciate the legacy.  People from over seas would come to Dearborn to visit Ford and they all wanted to go to Miller's.  

But I'm not sure there's an appetite for it.  People say they love these kinds of places and antique shops and independent retail yet when one opens up nobody goes.  It takes an entrepreneur spirit and when you have one generation running a business the second generation often goes off and does their own thing and by the time they want to retire the 2nd gen are already settled in their career....  A little bar near me just sold... going to become a hamburger and ice cream place.  Previous owner bought the place just a few years ago, he ran some other bars in the area, but he's retiring.  Still have 2 bars within walking distance though.  Another dive bar about 1/2 mile away is still for sale after never reopening from the pandemic.

I think we're also going to see a lot of the old school Chinese Food places close up over the next few years too.  Not because the food is bad but you need people to run them.

The best restaurant in Dearborn, Sahara, had to shut down temporarily due to staffing.  The owner is a great guy but one day it was just him and his brother who showed up.

You know, that with Tarantino's universe and the way everyone is connected that one day we are going to find out that the Gimp is a descendant of Calvin Candie or maybe even the American-born son of Hans Landa or something like that.   Maybe QTs last film (he swears he is stopping at 10) will be the saga of The Gimp and how he wound up in the clutches of Zed & Maynard and how Marcellus Wallace was the man who freed him.    

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Anybody see this? I guess it happened around midnight last night and could be seen by most of SE Michigan. 

They communicated to me through my special sense and they said they were coming and I didn't believe them.  I thought it was a joke and now they're here..........THEY'RE HERE AND I DIDN'T WARN ANYONE !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

With CGI, why on earth are they using a prop gun capable of firing real bullets? SMH.

I guess I don't understand this either.  I guess I would assume every prop gun would be completely solid with no capability of firing off even so much as a blank.

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

I guess I don't understand this either.  I guess I would assume every prop gun would be completely solid with no capability of firing off even so much as a blank.

They want it to look as real as possible and they want a muzzle flash (something that easily can be done in post production).   When Brandon Lee got shot the gun expert was not on set that day (they didn't want to pay him).   It's possible that they loaded  a clip of blanks, not realizing there was a live round in the chamber.  

When Jon Erik Hexum died, he held a prop gun up to his head and pulled the trigger joking around between takes.  They used a paper wadding back then that reacted with the gunpowder to give off a loud sound and bright flash.  If he had been holding the gun just a foot away from his head he'd only have had slight burns, but the concussion was real and it fractured his skull right at the temple.  I think in that case they used real gunpowder instead of lower grade "fake" stuff that other movies/tv shows used.  

22 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

With CGI, why on earth are they using a prop gun capable of firing real bullets? SMH.

Verisimilitude? Some actors are insistent on that, and I could see Baldwin being one of those guys.

Pretty sure we’ll never see a prop gun on set like that ever again.