Random Randomness.

22 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Ffwd to 2:11

Oh man that brings back memories of watching my kids in 5th grade band. It wasn't quite that bad, but it was always pretty cringey. It's totally understandable though because most of them had never touched an instrument before that September. I was always just excited when I could eventually identify the song.

Results of hitting RANDOM ARTICLE on Wikipedia for December 14, 2021

1.  The Sainte-Marguerite River Old Forest  -    An old growth forest in Quebec. 

2. Radoslaw Horbik -  A former Police Freestyle wrestler

3. John Quinn - Baseball executive who worked as GM for the Braves (1945-58) and Phillies (1959-72)

4.  Provinces of Kenya  (Central, Coast, Easter, Nairobi, North Eastern, Nyanza, Rift Valley, Western)

5.  El Viso del Alcor  (a city near Seville Spain)

You learn new things every day. 

Results of hitting RANDOM ARTICLE on Wikipedia for December 15, 2021

1. Pericopsis  - A genus of legume in the family Fabaceae 

Nedun Tree (Pericopsis Mooniana-Fabaceae) I.JPG

2. Sir Luke William Burke Teeling (1903-1975 -  Irish author and a Member of Parliament in the UK.  He was a champion of the English Channel Tunnel. 

Sir Luke William Burke Teeling - Person - National Portrait Gallery

3. Parkstone.   An electoral ward in Poole, Dorset.   

383px-Bournemouth%2C_Christchurch_and_Poole_UK_ward_map_highlighting_Parkstone.svg.png

4. Bollworm - A common term for a moth larva that attacks the fruiting bodies of certain crops, especially cotton. 

Bollworm_7329.jpg

5. Thomas Paul -  An Irish Anglican priest in the second half of the 18th century

No picture of Tommy is available. 

Saw a New Mexico license plate several days ago.  Pretty cool looking, a black plate, a couple of chili peppers on it, yellow, red, and green fonts.  I thought it was sharp.  I don't recall ever seeing one before, and why would I in NW OH.

But, daggumit, would you believe we saw another one this past weekend?  Never saw one before, and then see two (definitely different vehicles) within a week of each other?

image.jpeg.82bf02baa390bd4367faffb9bfbf144e.jpeg

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

Saw a New Mexico license plate several days ago.  Pretty cool looking, a black plate, a couple of chili peppers on it, yellow, red, and green fonts.  I thought it was sharp.  I don't recall ever seeing one before, and why would I in NW OH.

But, daggumit, would you believe we saw another one this past weekend?  Never saw one before, and then see two (definitely different vehicles) within a week of each other?

image.jpeg.82bf02baa390bd4367faffb9bfbf144e.jpeg

New Mexico needs to have a Breaking Bad inspired plate that says "Blue Meth Capital of the World" or something like that. 

I lived in New Mexico for a year.  My plate was just yellow with red lettering and the red sun logo in the middle (from the state flag).  Boooorrring.    

Still better than Michigan's boring base plate

The whole year I lived there I never found myself Enchanted.

1996 New Mexico License Plate | Brandywine General Store

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I lived in New Mexico for a year.  My plate was just yellow with red lettering and the red sun logo in the middle (from the state flag).  Boooorrring.    

Still better than Michigan's boring base plate

The whole year I lived there I never found myself Enchanted.

1996 New Mexico License Plate | Brandywine General Store

Just curious where haven't you lived MCS? Lol

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just curious where haven't you lived MCS? Lol

I have never lived in Texas or either Dakota.

Its radio...........Town-To-Town,  Up and Down the Dial.     I lived in Albuquerque for exactly one year.  Arrived there March 26, 1996 and left March 25, 1997.   I was driving in Missouri moving back here listening to the Wings-Avs game on WJR when the Bloody Revenge game happened.    AM skip rules.     Stopped for the night in Illinois to watch the ESPN replay of the game but fell asleep before that part of the game happened.  Thought I'd never see it, but EVERYONE taped it.  I once drove to Canada to drop off a tape/resume at 89X.  Got stopped by the guards on the entry back to the U.S. because I had New Mexico plates (DRUG RUNNER !!!!!).   Wound up talking to the customs lady for an hour about growing up in Detroit and the Boblo Boat and Edgewater Park and the Swimmobiles,  she figured out I was a local. 

1987-88 Athens, Georgia.   School, college radio, all the bands came to the station, wearing shorts in January. walked everywhere.  great shape back then.  

1989-90 Naples, Florida.  Worked for a small non-commercial Top 40 station.   Bad fit.  Not a Top 40 guy.  I hated Bobby Brown music and they played a ton of Bobby Brown music.  Too much Stevie B too.  Just awful.  Had a good tan, though, and lived near an orange juice plant, so it smelled amazing.

1990-92 Back Home.   Worked a job where I listened to tapes of radio stations from all over the country, the recorders would record 8 seconds skims every 2:20 seconds and we had to identify the songs.  I played Name That Tune for a living (most stations play the same shit).  

1992  Minneapolis (for 9 days - owner flipped the format and fired everyone, he knew he was doing this when okay'd hiring me - dickhead.)  When I first interviewed for that job it was early March and the high temp that day was going to be 11 below zero. I thought "maybe this isn't for me".   They hired me May 13th.  Fired me and flipped the station on the Friday before Memorial Day, the day after I signed my apartment lease,  the landlord was very nice about letting me out of it, he was a nice guy.

1992  Stayed in a cheap motel for a week in Oxford, Ohio not knowing if I was going to work there for 97X (BAM!, The Future of Rock & Roll), move back home to Detroit with no prospects or follow the guy that hired me in Minneapolis (he didn't know the station was about to flip) to Augusta, Georgia.   Then lived in metro Atlanta for six weeks at the house of one of my ex-Athens roommates while we waited for the Augusta station to sign on.    I was like the Seattle Pilots in 1970, team trucks sitting in Provo, Utah not knowing whether to go to Seattle, Milwaukee or Devner....48 hours before Opening Day.

1993-94 Augusta, Georgia.   Station owner was bi-polar, narcissist, wound up as James Brown's manager)  Plus Alternative Rock in the Bible belt - not a great fit.   We played Dear God by XTC once............once.

1994 Chapel Hill, North Carolina  - Alternative station in a college town.  Nobody tried it there.  It was blowing up very quickly and it looked like finally I found my perfect spot, but.....station owner (nice guy), was way behind on his taxes. Station put into receivership and his religious nutjob son took over.   He wasn't gonna go for that heathen new wave and grunge music, flipped it religious talk, it went dark in 3 months, yes an FM radio station actually went dark for almost a year).

1994-96 East Lansing (small station, alternative rock at it's peak.  we just irritated all the other stations who were 10 years behind the times and got decent ratings.  made no money, but had fun).

1996-97 Albuquerque, New Mexico  Another alternative station was doing awesome, owner was great, but Clear Channel came in and offered him so much more than it was worth (about 5x it's value) that he had to sell it, can't blame him.  They ruined the station.  Every single decision they made was the opposite of what it needed to be, but that's Clear Channel for ya.

1997 - 2021 Back to Metro Detroit.   Worked for 2 stations owned by ABC/DIsney.  Almost fired for responding to the CEOs email about the 2002 Angels world series win (Disney owned them then).  I asked if I could get a t-shirt.  That's what almost got me fired.  Nice company, eh?    First GM was a totally nice man who prevented me from being fired over the dastardly deed of asking for a t-shirt.  They replaced him in 2003 with a total dick from DC who treated everyone like garbage, so I bolted in 2004 for Ann Arbor.   Still work at the Ann Arbor station. 17 years now.  Longest job ever.  

• Like 1