Random Randomness.

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Not only was that show conceived of AND subsequently put into production, it also is somehow popular enough for that long run on Broadway as well as now community productions. I chose to believe it is actually an elaborate hoax where people just came together to agree that it was good and see how far they could take it, and it snowballed from there.

I am actually more concerned that your wife's cousin seemingly voluntarily chose to try out for the production. And now you have participated in perpetuating the ruse by attending and supporting the event. 

You and I are conversing Broadway (albeit very minimally) on the interwebs.  We cannot let our wives know about this.  It'll ruin our street cred with them.

Her cousin never did shows in high school and now that she's off on her own, she's really acquired a taste for it.  Part of it is to meet new people as she's off in a new location.  This was her first role where she had a bit of an extended solo part.  I feel bad for her that this wacked show was it, but hey, good for her, she's progressing up the ranks and she enjoys it.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Her cousin never did shows in high school and now that she's off on her own, she's really acquired a taste for it.  Part of it is to meet new people as she's off in a new location.  

Did she take into account the fact that the new people she would be meeting are largely people who proport to enjoy the musical Cats?

2 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Did she take into account the fact that the new people she would be meeting are largely people who proport to enjoy the musical Cats?

Maybe she's a furry and this was her coming out party?  I don't know.

The number of times I will pick up my phone during the day and immediately have some random number call me is pretty disturbing.  Beyond coincidence IMO.

I feel like all this kind of thing is basically just accepted as a part of modern living in the 2020's..."You did nothing wrong...what are you scared of?"

I guarantee every single generation goes through a similar thing, but it is sad IMO.

15 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The number of times I will pick up my phone during the day and immediately have some random number call me is pretty disturbing.  Beyond coincidence IMO.

I feel like all this kind of thing is basically just accepted as a part of modern living in the 2020's..."You did nothing wrong...what are you scared of?"

I guarantee every single generation goes through a similar thing, but it is sad IMO.

are you saying they call then you pick it up b/c of the call or you just pick it up to get, then you get the call?  Like something detects you have it in your hand so they call?

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

are you saying they call then you pick it up b/c of the call or you just pick it up to get, then you get the call?  Like something detects you have it in your hand so they call?

Yeah like I just grab my phone to check the time or something and the phone rings with a random number, so I am looking at the phone...my phone case is a fold over and always facing up...so the back camera always just sees my desk or whatever and the the front camera sees nothing because the case is covering the camera...I unfold the case to look at the screen and a call comes in at that moment.  Not before...like a second after looking at the phone. 

16 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Yeah like I just grab my phone to check the time or something and the phone rings with a random number, so I am looking at the phone...my phone case is a fold over and always facing up...so the back camera always just sees my desk or whatever and the the front camera sees nothing because the case is covering the camera...I unfold the case to look at the screen and a call comes in at that moment.  Not before...like a second after looking at the phone. 

Interesting.  I've never had that happen to me.  As it is, the only people who call my phone are scammers or Walgreen's for prescriptions.

41 minutes ago, casimir said:

I seldom use my phone as a phone.

Same, I very rarely use it to talk to someone....the only time I use it as a phone is when it is connected to my car and I use it that way with speaker phone, but never really just up to my ear.

39 minutes ago, oblong said:

Interesting.  I've never had that happen to me.  As it is, the only people who call my phone are scammers or Walgreen's for prescriptions.

Yeah feels like it happens much more than would be considered just a coincidence.  

21 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Same, I very rarely use it to talk to someone....the only time I use it as a phone is when it is connected to my car and I use it that way with speaker phone, but never really just up to my ear.

It’s funny to think back to what my first phone was vs what I have now.  It was gotten for me over 20 years ago by wife because my wheels broke down on the way to work (a 45 minute jaunt).  It was literally just a phone.  A flimsy plastic antenna that could be pulled out of the phone which probably didn’t really do anything to help at all.  I think I could text with it, but it only had alphanumeric keys, so it took forever to text anyone.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:49 PM, casimir said:

It’s funny to think back to what my first phone was vs what I have now.  It was gotten for me over 20 years ago by wife because my wheels broke down on the way to work (a 45 minute jaunt).  It was literally just a phone.  A flimsy plastic antenna that could be pulled out of the phone which probably didn’t really do anything to help at all.  I think I could text with it, but it only had alphanumeric keys, so it took forever to text anyone.

I was 18 I think and paid by the minute on the contract.  Had to unhook the battery, attach it to a charger that plugged directly into the wall.  I thought I was sooo cool.

3 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I was 18 I think and paid by the minute on the contract.  Had to unhook the battery, attach it to a charger that plugged directly into the wall.  I thought I was sooo cool.

Yes, free nights and weekends was key for me. I would tell my GF call me after 7!

I got one in 1996.  My wife did an internship in Springfield Ohio.  She was my GF at the time.  I looked at a coverage map for Cellular One and it reached that far.  I did the math and it was cheaper than calling her long distance.  Remember long distance?  Zone calls?  Like calling Livonia from Dearborn could cost you $5.

In 2002 I got my current phone number and have had it since.

I just scheduled my first colonoscopy.

Obviously I've heard the worst part is the prep with fasting and drinking the stuff... I'm just letting y'all know in case it prompts someone to get off their ass and schedule theirs if eligible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

I just scheduled my first colonoscopy.

Obviously I've heard the worst part is the prep with fasting and drinking the stuff... I'm just letting y'all know in case it prompts someone to get off their ass and schedule theirs if eligible.

Do they still have you drink the gallon jug? That is awful, it hit me about halfway through. Had to finish drinking sitting on the can, I still despise lemon lime flovoring....Luckily I now use cologuard much easier to deal with. My Mom died of colon cancer at 28 from poisoned water at Camp Lejune so I have been getting checked every year since I was like 20.

To your point YES get screened, it might just save your life. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Do they still have you drink the gallon jug? That is awful, it hit me about halfway through. Had to finish drinking sitting on the can, I still despise lemon lime flovoring....Luckily I now use cologuard much easier to deal with. My Mom died of colon cancer at 28 from poisoned water at Camp Lejune so I have been getting checked every year since I was like 20.

To your point YES get screened, it might just save your life. 

The instructions have me taking some laxatives and mixing a 238g bottle of powder with 64 ounces of gataorade.  Looks like I can have coffee, tea, soda (Which I don't really drink), popsicles... just as long as nothing is red.  

I'm not worried about the laxative piece of it, we have bidets in the house and I have an area of privacy in my basement office so can do what's needed without bothering anybody.  I say that now, ha ha.

It's the fasting that I won't like.  

But it's important to do.  

• Haha 1