Random Randomness.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So who is she, you reverse-engineering Google-imaging guy, you? 😉

It's Irene Dunne, oft paired opposite Cary Grant in his younger days in movies I saw too many years ago to remember. So what brought her remembrance to your interest?

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's Irene Dunne, oft paired opposite Cary Grant in his younger days in movies I saw too many years ago to remember. So what brought her remembrance to your interest?

Because I saw a picture of her where she was mislabeled as being Irene Ryan! 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The SAT is going completely digital.  I can't wait to hear all of the carping and complaining from older generations about the youth of today not knowing how to use a #2 pencil, a sharpener, and a scantron.

It’s the worst thing about social media.  Older folks shaming younger folks because they don’t do things “their” way.  This isn’t a booker thing as Gen X is just as guilty. 

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The SAT is going completely digital.  I can't wait to hear all of the carping and complaining from older generations about the youth of today not knowing how to use a #2 pencil, a sharpener, and a scantron.

Hasn't the GRE been electronic for 30yrs?

I remember Del sharing a clip of the scene from the movie 21 about the Monty Hall problem and it stuck with me because I couldn't get it.  I understood what they were saying and wasn't arguing that it was wrong, but it bothered that I couldn't get it because I like to think I'm kinda smart.  And my research showed me lots of other people think the same way.

The Monty Hall Problem being, you are given a choice of 3 doors, a prize behind 1 of them.  Once you make your pick, then the host will open one of the doors that does not have a prize and offers you the chance to switch your choice? Do you?  THe odds say you should.   Many people, like me, thought it was still 50/50 whether you should switch.

On a whim the other night I started looking at it again and then it hit me like a ton of bricks after looking at a chart that simulated every possible outcome. That just proved the math who I wasn't disputing, I was just angry I didn't see how.  What helped me was to not think about it in terms of winning but instead losing and to think of it from the game show hosts perspective.   You can pick any of the 3.  He can only pick 2, and if you pick one of them, then he only has one choice. So 66% of the time the door he didn't open will have the prize.  I was very excited when this revelation occurred to me and you all are the only ones who would appreciate it.  My wife wasn't impressed.  "Ok nerd...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I remember Del sharing a clip of the scene from the movie 21 about the Monty Hall problem and it stuck with me because I couldn't get it.  I understood what they were saying and wasn't arguing that it was wrong, but it bothered that I couldn't get it because I like to think I'm kinda smart.  And my research showed me lots of other people think the same way.

The Monty Hall Problem being, you are given a choice of 3 doors, a prize behind 1 of them.  Once you make your pick, then the host will open one of the doors that does not have a prize and offers you the chance to switch your choice? Do you?  THe odds say you should.   Many people, like me, thought it was still 50/50 whether you should switch.

On a whim the other night I started looking at it again and then it hit me like a ton of bricks after looking at a chart that simulated every possible outcome. That just proved the math who I wasn't disputing, I was just angry I didn't see how.  What helped me was to not think about it in terms of winning but instead losing and to think of it from the game show hosts perspective.   You can pick any of the 3.  He can only pick 2, and if you pick one of them, then he only has one choice. So 66% of the time the door he didn't open will have the prize.  I was very excited when this revelation occurred to me and you all are the only ones who would appreciate it.  My wife wasn't impressed.  "Ok nerd...."

What made it click for me was going from 3 doors to 100 doors. If I pick one door, and the host opens 98 other ones, of course I'm going to switch to the remaining door..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oblong said:

Wow - I'd heard that before but it didn't dawn on me now why I should switch.

I'm fully aware that Twitter has gone a bit off the rails, but I still use it regularly. Anyway, recently my Following page has been infiltrated by this account called Disco Triscuit. I can assure you that I am not intentionally following that account, but it shows up all the time anyway. The posts are usually kinda funny, so I haven't made the effort to block it, but it's just so odd. Literally everything else is things that I follow.

image.thumb.jpeg.3bd855725a2ebbbbc6a01bcbdac9dc6b.jpeg

57 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

A lot of weirdness happening between a customer and the owner of a restaurant in Boston's North End on X... just search Table North End and prepare to go down a rabbit hole. 

And last year, one restaurant owner shot at another one in front of a popular pastry place: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2023/12/07/north-end-cannoli-shooting/

O'l Colonel Sanders got in a gun fight with rival back in the day.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Colonel-Sanders-really-shoot-a-business-rival-Was-he-punished

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 12:23 PM, Deleterious said:

Jack In The Box is coming to Michigan.  The first one will open up in Battle Creek.

We had a Jack in the Box right near us when I was a kid, on Hoover just south of 13. And right around the corner, on 13 just east of Hoover, was a Hardee’s, then a Taco Bell went into that space sometime in the mid-seventies. I guess down Hoover just south of 11 Mile, there’s a Del Taco. I don’t know what it is about that stretch of road that attracts so many seemingly one-offs from west coast chains.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

We had a Jack in the Box right near us when I was a kid, on Hoover just south of 13. And right around the corner, on 13 just east of Hoover, was a Hardee’s, then a Taco Bell went into that space sometime in the mid-seventies. I guess down Hoover just south of 11 Mile, there’s a Del Taco. I don’t know what it is about that stretch of road that attracts so many seemingly one-offs from west coast chains.

Orchard Lake at I696 in the '70s. There was nothing quite so vaguely disturbing yet edible on a student budget than  JITB deep fried Tacos.

18 hours ago, oblong said:

Does anybody else start to cough, or want to cough, when they see someone in movies up close smoking or doing something ilke putting out a butt in an ashtray?

It gets me every time.  

Yes!

Now do yawning.

My wife's cousin was in a community theatre production of Cats.  I'd never seen it before.  My guess is that the production was in general pretty similar to the original.  My only conclusion is that ain't no way that show was conceived by a sober mind.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

My wife's cousin was in a community theatre production of Cats.  I'd never seen it before.  My guess is that the production was in general pretty similar to the original.  My only conclusion is that ain't no way that show was conceived by a sober mind.

Not only was that show conceived of AND subsequently put into production, it also is somehow popular enough for that long run on Broadway as well as now community productions. I chose to believe it is actually an elaborate hoax where people just came together to agree that it was good and see how far they could take it, and it snowballed from there.

I am actually more concerned that your wife's cousin seemingly voluntarily chose to try out for the production. And now you have participated in perpetuating the ruse by attending and supporting the event. 

• Thanks 1