Random Randomness.

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We achieved this particular color by staining first with a cherry color, then finishing it with a coffee bean color.

So stipulating that it's the right color of stain, are the right parts of the bannister stained? Which would you stain and which would you paint white?

I can go either way on the spindles. I like the look you have there. I might have left the spindles in natural wood if you had gone with a light stain - or say a natural oak. But with the dark stain I think the tie from the woodwork through the spindles is fine. Did you brush the spindles or spray them? That the biggest reason I'd probably not paint them - too hard to do! A clear acrylic is a lot easier to apply well to a shape like that than paint! :classic_laugh:

It looks similar to the builder version of our stairway. The base of the spindles is dark as opposed to all white. We do have the long rail on the opposite side going all the way down. 

We haven't changed any of the builder colors in three years. It just has not been a priority. 

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I can go either way on the spindles. I like the look you have there. I might have left the spindles in natural wood if you had gone with a light stain - or say a natural oak. But with the dark stain I think the tie from the woodwork through the spindles is fine. Did you brush the spindles or spray them? That the biggest reason I'd probably not paint them - too hard to do! A clear acrylic is a lot easier to apply well to a shape like that than paint! :classic_laugh:

Brush. Spray would have required complete coverage of everything around it and I don't trust myself to do that right!

All the doors and trim were builder wood color with gold knobs. We wanted to update everything to white. We went back and forth on the staining and how much of the bannister to cover. She won. Happy life.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

wow.  I watched him a lot as a kid.  My dad would watch the WGN news for the weather because his theory was whatever their weather was today is what we'd get tomorrow.  He also theorized that WGN News "Showed more killigs" than our Detroit news did because Coleman Young made them stop talking about it.

So yeah... I know who he is really well.  

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

wow.  I watched him a lot as a kid.  My dad would watch the WGN news for the weather because his theory was whatever their weather was today is what we'd get tomorrow.  He also theorized that WGN News "Showed more killigs" than our Detroit news did because Coleman Young made them stop talking about it.

So yeah... I know who he is really well.  

I DVR the GN 10 o'clock news specifically and only to see his weather forecast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 7:49 AM, CMRivdogs said:

Interestingly the Apollo 8 crew was the last mission crew were all members were still alive. 

The last multiperson crew still alive is Gemini XII, Lovell and Aldrin.

The longevity on these guys is amazing.  I'm a space nerd and from the Gemini/Apollo era here is who is left:

Tom Stafford (92)

Jim Lovell (95)

Dave Scott (90)

Buzz Aldrin (92)

Bill Anders (89)

Rusty Schweikart (87)

Fred Haise (90 - yesterday was his birthday)

Charlie Duke (92)

Harrison Schmitt (87)

2 weeks ago we lost Ken Mattingly who was 87.

The only ones left who have walked on the moon are Buzz Aldrin, Dave Scott, Charlie Duke, and Harrison Schmitt.  I hope they can still be here when we do it again, but I'm not sure.  I can see it getting delayed.

Speaking of space...  yesterday was the anniversary of Apollo 12's launch.  For space junkies it calls back to two famous phrases that's become legend "Try SCE to AUX", and "Steely eyed missle man"

This write up explains it:

On this day in history, on November 14, 1969, Apollo 12 successfully launched to the Moon. But it wasn’t without a little drama. The weather that day at Cape Canaveral in Florida was overcast with light rain and winds. However, at 11:22 am EST, the spacecraft, carrying astronauts Pete Conrad, Richard Gordon, and Alan Bean, blasted off into the clouds, in a seemingly perfect launch.
But thirty-seven seconds into launch, all hell broke loose. "What the hell was that?" asked Gordon. Twenty seconds of confusion ensued, and then another disturbance occurred. "Okay, we just lost the platform gang," reported Conrad, "I don't know what happened here. We had everything in the world drop out."
The crew and Mission Control didn't know what had happed, and only later determined the Saturn V rocket had been struck by lighting - twice.

Were it not for flight controller John Aaron, the mission might have been aborted. Aaron may be remembered more for being instrumental in helping to save Apollo 13, but the part he played in Apollo 12 was just as crucial.
When he saw the unusual telemetry readings from Apollo 12. he remembered a flight simulation that took place about a year earlier. He recalled this simulated anomaly concerned an obscure system called Signal Conditioning Equipment (SCE), and remembered normal reading were restored by putting the SCE on its auxiliary setting, which meant that it would run even under low-voltage conditions.

So when he quickly called out the recommendation, "Flight, try SCE to "AUX'", most of his mission control colleagues had no idea what he was talking about. Both the flight director and the CapCom asked him to repeat the recommendation. Conrad was unfamiliar with the control but fortunately Alan Bean was familiar with the location of the SCE switch inside the capsule, and flipped it to auxiliary. Telemetry was immediately restored, allowing the mission to continue.

This was just one instance that earned Aaron the compliment of being called a "steely-eyed missile man." the absolute highest of NASA compliments. And even today the phrase "SCE to AUX" used to describe a situation where one narrowly averts a catastrophe by coming up with an ingenious plan. (credit - Universe Today, Nancy Atkinson)

401837266_744010631100990_1400684721393258182_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Anyone else experience this?

Around one in four people sneeze when they see a bright light

I used to sneeze at the sun or bright lights a lot when I was a kid—in fact, when I felt like I needed to goose a sneeze, I would seek out a bright light or the sun to help it along. I haven’t had that in a long time, though.

If I have a sneeze that sits on the precipice, I look at a bright light to make it happen. My wife is aware of this trick and she'll distract me to CB the sneeze. Just let me sneeze woman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fun fact.  The town scenes from this commercial were shot in my hometown of Holly.  Someone said the drive in movie place is in Dearborn.  

Also, not the first time Holly has been on display.  The scene from In the Line of Fire where the President is on a train tour is in Holly.  They took footage from a Bush campaign stop when he lost to Clinton.