Random Randomness.

Pay attention when you are in traffic at a stop light how long it takes to move once the light turns green.  I bet 20 years ago you'd have had 3 or 4 more cars make it through the green than you do now.  Why?  Because people are on their phones and not paying attention.  Car in front goes, they are looking down.... "oh, I can go?"

On Tuesday a lady in a car next to me was facetiming while driving.  Right hand on the wheel, left hand holding the phone.  While moving.  Her window was down so I slammed my horn when I got next to her and yelled at her.  She dropped her phone.  It was extremely satisfying.  

I really do not understand what is so important that requires you to be messing with your phone all the time while driving.  I make a thing now when stopped to see how many people reach out for them.  Easily 60%.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, casimir said:

Tough to know exactly what he say/thought in the moment.  My thought was why didn't he hurdle the guardrail, but again, its more instinct than thought at the point.  He might have forgotten that there was a guardrail to begin with.

Cop is absolutely lucky the cars broke how they did on impact. If the offending car had hit the standing car just five feet closer, meaning front of standing car rather than left side of it, cop would've been flattened and we'd never see the video. Nothing he did helped save himself. It was all grace of God.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oblong said:

Because people are on their phones and not paying attention.  Car in front goes, they are looking down.... "oh, I can go?"

I think if someone pushed a button that disabled all cellphones - you'd have thousands of suicides.     It's an addiction as strong as alcohol or nicotine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Either that or stain the base down to the floor and keep the spindles white?

Full disclosure: I have no eye for decoration. That said, if you were to stain other areas, you have all that base plate around the room and stairs that would not match. If it were my house, I'd go with white all the way so it all matches.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Full disclosure: I have no eye for decoration. That said, if you were to stain other areas, you have all that base plate around the room and stairs that would not match. If it were my house, I'd go with white all the way so it all matches.

I hear you on all white and it would be nice. We went with dark stain because we didn’t want to make handrails all dirty across years of use.

8 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I get the logic if you had kids. It's not that difficult for two adults to clean the rail once a week.

Not difficult to do it as much as challenging to remember to incorporate it into the routine and stay on it. Thank for the input.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not difficult to do it as much as challenging to remember to incorporate it into the routine and stay on it. Thank for the input.

Seriously, I'm all in with the white woodwork. I would not paint the hand rail. You don't want to use paint - esp latex, on any surface that gets a lot of handling. Even if you were willing to clean it fastidiously, paint wouldn't stand up to that either. And good wood grain always looks richer anyway. 

The color is close to the color we painted our previous house, maybe a shade or two darker. We  used a a two shade light/dark combo and that is a little darker than our darker pick. Now to be honest, we knew we were selling that house so we picked more neutral hues then we might have if we didn't care about that. We would normally go for more color - the current house is mostly in light greens. But of the neutral palettes I prefer beiges to grays - I don't care if that's old school - grays are cold.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Seriously, I'm all in with the white woodwork. I would not paint the hand rail. You don't want to use paint - esp latex, on any surface that gets a lot of handling. Even if you were willing to clean it fastidiously, paint wouldn't stand up to that either. And good wood grain always looks richer anyway. 

The color is close to the color we painted our previous house, maybe a shade or two darker. We  used a a two shade light/dark combo and that is a little darker than our darker pick. Now to be honest, we knew we were selling that house so we picked more neutral hues then we might have if we didn't care about that. We would normally go for more color - the current house is mostly in light greens. But of the neutral palettes I prefer beiges to grays - I don't care if that's old school - grays are cold.

We achieved this particular color by staining first with a cherry color, then finishing it with a coffee bean color.

So stipulating that it's the right color of stain, are the right parts of the bannister stained? Which would you stain and which would you paint white?

They call me "good enough Rob" because that is something I would never once ever consider looking at if I visted you.  I have zero insight into home decor.  I wish I did to some degree.

If I lived alone I'd have nothing on the walls.  No side tables or whatever.