Random Randomness.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I've been reading a lot of astronaut and space books, from the Mercury to Apollo eras.  Handball was a very common thing to play for those guys.  In fact the only time I've ever seen it referenced is in that context.  Was that a big deal in the 60's?  Maybe it was a southern thing?  These guys had to stay in great shape so I imagine it's an intense game to play.

yeah - we played a lot of handball up through HS - mostly because it was nearly cost free and in the city walls are not hard to find.

7 hours ago, oblong said:

I've been reading a lot of astronaut and space books, from the Mercury to Apollo eras.  Handball was a very common thing to play for those guys.  In fact the only time I've ever seen it referenced is in that context.  Was that a big deal in the 60's?  Maybe it was a southern thing?  These guys had to stay in great shape so I imagine it's an intense game to play.

I think this is a different version of handball than you’re referring to, but during early COVID, I found some European team handball tournament from 2019 on TV.  That’s great fun to watch, a blend of basketball, soccer, maybe hockey.  It’s an Olympic sport, but it doesn’t get any airtime.  

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 9:17 PM, casimir said:

I think this is a different version of handball than you’re referring to, but during early COVID, I found some European team handball tournament from 2019 on TV.  That’s great fun to watch, a blend of basketball, soccer, maybe hockey.  It’s an Olympic sport, but it doesn’t get any airtime.  

I discovered team handball a few Olympics ago. Wow, is that game awesome.

Chas's post in the advice thread made me think of something.

We ran into a very old friend of mine over the weekend at a grad party, mutual friend's kid graduated.  She was one of my best friends growing up and into our 30s, then life gets in the way and you no longer stay in touch, just running into each other at Target or whatever.  I got her number and put it in my phone.  

Later that evening we text just to establish the connection.  My friend has a unique first name but I always put someone's first and last name in my contacts. When she texted me back my wife saw it and started to make fun of me.   I told her "So where do you draw the line?  Who is granted status of being just "first name only in contact" vs first and last name?  What happens if you try to voice text and you have "Jane", "Jane Edmonds" and "Jane Kirkpatrick" and you don't remember who has the status?

What do y'all do? 

The only one in my contact list without a last name is my wife, it's her nickname.  

On 6/15/2023 at 8:49 AM, Hongbit said:

I had someone tell me the other day that pickleball is actually dangerous.   Apparently, the small court gives some of these seniors a false sense of security and they run and lunge after balls they never would on a larger tennis court.  All sorts of knee, ankle, and Achilles injuries popping up.  Makes sense I guess.  

My buddy can speak to this.  He was visiting his parents a few years ago and they had him come out and play pickleball with them.  His back and foot hurt for a week after, he had trouble getting out of bed the following day.  70+ year old parents were fine though.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

My buddy can speak to this.  He was visiting his parents a few years ago and they had him come out and play pickleball with them.  His back and foot hurt for a week after, he had trouble getting out of bed the following day.  70+ year old parents were fine though.

I shouldn't laugh because I just started playing beach volleyball again and there are people in their mid-late 60's that have a much easier time that I do.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2023 at 10:25 AM, oblong said:

Chas's post in the advice thread made me think of something.

We ran into a very old friend of mine over the weekend at a grad party, mutual friend's kid graduated.  She was one of my best friends growing up and into our 30s, then life gets in the way and you no longer stay in touch, just running into each other at Target or whatever.  I got her number and put it in my phone.  

Later that evening we text just to establish the connection.  My friend has a unique first name but I always put someone's first and last name in my contacts. When she texted me back my wife saw it and started to make fun of me.   I told her "So where do you draw the line?  Who is granted status of being just "first name only in contact" vs first and last name?  What happens if you try to voice text and you have "Jane", "Jane Edmonds" and "Jane Kirkpatrick" and you don't remember who has the status?

What do y'all do? 

The only one in my contact list without a last name is my wife, it's her nickname.  

I have everyone in my phone with their full names, even my children. If I did nicknames, everyone would be Mr/Mrs Captain Dip****, which seems like it would be confusing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my wife's list is a mess..

"Sharon"

"Sharon work" (Not the first Sharon's work Number, a different Sharon that she works with)

things like that.  Just random names, some last names, some nicknames... a few Aunt ***,  Uncle ***....  and some uses of Polish references because the tradition is certain aunts/uncles get the Polish designation.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

So much haze/smoke here we can't even open our windows.

I kept having coughing fits yesterday and couldn't figure out why until I got home and saw my air purifier going crazy.  I shut my windows, gave it a chance to clear things up and didn't have another issue.  

It's even worse out today and I just drove though downtown Plymouth and the park is full of kids and old people.  Can't be good for any of them.  

We have suppliers in town who were looking forward to Greenfield Village.  I told them not a good idea.  I wasn't going. It looks like July 5th at 1:30 am.... everywhere you look it's smoke.  Like everyone's having a bonfire in their backyard.   The sun rises through my bedroom window and I see this orange ball surrounded by haze.