Random Randomness.

23 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Testify. I visited the east side recently and the roads are horrible there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 9:25 AM, oblong said:

Last week I was on youtube watching a documentary and the quality was ****.  I noticed it was from a Smithsonian Channel program so I researched how to get that, discovered it was part of Paramount Plus.  I signed up just so I could watch that documentary properly, it was part of a series.  Holy hell there's a lot of good stuff on that service.  I immediately filled up my list.  I always thought HBO Max was the top streamer but I put this over that.  And it's like 1/3 the price if you go with ads, which I don't mind.

I still maintain MLB.TV is the best streaming service.

My father in law passed away yesterday from cancer, he was the finest man I have ever met. I will miss him. He was a huge Tigers fan and we went to a few games every year along with a few Caps games. 

He married his high school sweetheart and they were together for 59 years. He worked in sales and they kept him on until he was 78 years old because they knew they may have lost a few accounts if he left.

My wife and I, and her brother, were going through pictures and scrapbooks for the visitation this week and found stuff going back to his youth. Just awesome stuff. His mother saved everything, we found pony league team pictures starting from when he was like 10 years old. And she saved numerous press papers of his baseball accomplishments. He was a very good player and would go on to coach Crestons baseball team for a few years. 

Attached are a couple of pictures of him from the newspapers that we found from the 50s. A side note, the news back then was much more local. Stories in the paper I saw were about a man who had his fence destroyed by an automobile. A depressed mother attempted suicide. And lots of stuff on high school sports.  

I know somewhere Al is young again and playing baseball. That is him on the far right in the team picture.20230430_153109.thumb.jpg.f68c5fa82b372478508f86a5cc7f4df7.jpg20230430_152934.thumb.jpg.ef73cb36bec1aed633a6fc883fc9006a.jpg

Edited by Stanley70
  • Like 2

So sorry, Stanley70. 
But how wonderful to find these items from his youth, and to also have memories of activities you got to enjoy together.

As each year of my own life passes, you kind of marvel at just how fast it goes… and also what things have meaning… and what things don’t.

May your family keep him in your hearts by always making it a point to tell stories of times shared.  That’s how we keep them around. ❤️

Sister in law lives there. Went for their wedding and again 4 years ago. Take the canton/Novi/Plymouth area. Multiply by 30. That’s the metro Dallas region. Every road is just miles and miles of subdivisions, new subdivisions, strip malls anchored by Lowe’s or Home Depot or Wal Mart or Costco…. Every mile is another one. Do a 360 and you will see 4 construction cranes. 

51 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I haven't heard anything official from Honda. But a bunch of people are reporting that Honda will no longer sell gas powered mowers in the US. 2023 will be the last year.

https://www.motor1.com/news/667175/honda-stop-making-gas-lawn-mowers/#:~:text=However%2C that is about to,powered equipment effective September 2023.

According to a recent press release, Honda notified its power equipment dealers in October 2022, informing them that it would stop manufacturing lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment effective September 2023. In the press release, the company said, “The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio."

Honda also said it would continue selling the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial-type power products through 2024 until the inventory is gone. It also pledged to continue supporting its service and parts operations in the US market.

No dog in this discussion. Our smallish backyard is covered by the HOA. Wouldn't even need to recharge a battery if I had one. I still have a weed wacker (battery) however..

27 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/667175/honda-stop-making-gas-lawn-mowers/#:~:text=However%2C that is about to,powered equipment effective September 2023.

No dog in this discussion. Our smallish backyard is covered by the HOA. Wouldn't even need to recharge a battery if I had one. I still have a weed wacker (battery) however..

My Honda gas-powered mower is 3-4 years old & the starter assembly is shot already.  Very surprised by this, but am waiting for a quote on fixing it.  Very tempted to just get a battery-powered mower for my smallish yard.  It takes about 90 minutes to mow the whole thing.  My concern is Consumer Reports wouldn't even rate battery-powered mowers until recently because they all sucked so bad. 

32 minutes ago, djhutch said:

My Honda gas-powered mower is 3-4 years old & the starter assembly is shot already.  Very surprised by this, but am waiting for a quote on fixing it.  Very tempted to just get a battery-powered mower for my smallish yard.  It takes about 90 minutes to mow the whole thing.  My concern is Consumer Reports wouldn't even rate battery-powered mowers until recently because they all sucked so bad. 

My neighbor has a tough lawn, uses an EGO on it. As long as he doesn’t let it go too long it seems to do fine. It’s what I would get if I were in the market, but I gave up cutting my own as my allergies to it have gotten worse. Sometimes a decision is nothing to sneeze at….😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2