Random Randomness.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In a smal to mid-sized city you can find that combination in a college town. Otherwise something bigger. If you go bigger then the question is urban or sub-urban. 

Thanks. I’m not averse to looking urban - but that would need to be “small” urban.

One place
I’m planning to look at is Delaware… in the Newark DE area.  (Fits some of the points you’ve made)

Don’t really want to go to southern states. Wondering if further west might be a place to also look.

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

Thanks. I’m not averse to looking urban - but that would need to be “small” urban.

One place
I’m planning to look at is Delaware… in the Newark DE area.  (Fits some of the points you’ve made)

Don’t really want to go to southern states. Wondering if further west might be a place to also look.

Boulder area.  A good friend lives there and loves it.  From people I know who live there even though it can snow in October or June, it is always sunny and it melts fast. And it can be 75 in the winter sometimes.  They say the seasonal changes are so much better than the midwest and east because of the sunshine.  Mentally it makes a huge difference.  

28 minutes ago, oblong said:

Boulder area.  A good friend lives there and loves it.  From people I know who live there even though it can snow in October or June, it is always sunny and it melts fast. And it can be 75 in the winter sometimes.  They say the seasonal changes are so much better than the midwest and east because of the sunshine.  Mentally it makes a huge difference.  

Hmmm….. I’ll need my SIL to give me the low down, price-wise.  My brotherSIL&nephew live in Golden. (She’s a RE agent)

Boulder is extremely expensive along with Denver.  If you are interested in Colorado then Colorado Springs would be a cheaper alternative.  

Your median home price in Boulder is $855,000 while Colorado Springs is about $420,000.  Both are top 5 on the US News best places to live list.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

15 hours ago, smr-nj said:

I think I’ve got to get the heck out of Jerseyin a couple years.  
What places should I look at for affordability, good medical community, at least a smattering of .Arts, theaters, school,quality of living.

any good ideas?

If you're not looking south, I'm assuming cold weather isn't a deterrence? Midland, MI is a college town, good business community, a small center for the arts, a fortune 500 company that makes it very diverse ethnically, & yet not TOO big.  Plus you have the added bonus of being within driving distance of a HUGE number of morons.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

If you're not looking south, I'm assuming cold weather isn't a deterrence? Midland, MI is a college town, good business community, a small center for the arts, a fortune 500 company that makes it very diverse ethnically, & yet not TOO big.  Plus you have the added bonus of being within driving distance of a HUGE number of morons.

Truth! 😂

I have a friend who made the move from the DC area to Santa Fe, NM and loves it there. I think her original intent was Colorado. She lived in the Denver area about 25 or so years ago and loved it. Her former employer had an office there and she lobbied for a permanent transfer before she decided on early retirement. I think she looked at prices around Colorado Springs and Boulder.(She was also on a tiny house kick around then)

Don't rule out Va. The summers aren't much worse than NJ and we get a bit less snow east of the Piedmont region. The Williamsburg area is becoming popular for retirees. Decent medical care, especially with Richmond only about an hour away. There are enough "cultural activities" to keep you interested. Plus Colonial Williamsburg and the rest of the Triangle area. Once again about an hour to Richmond and pretty much the same to Va Beach/Norfolk for decent regional airports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Picture of the last 747 rolling off the assembly line earlier this month.

8g9ngo1u6i6a1.jpg

I didn't realize there was still an order book on the freighters - it's been a long while since the last passenger version was delivered hasn't it? I wonder if these birds still cut it for frieght but not passengers because in passenger service they could never actually get near their MTOW? IAC  - end of an era.

also striking contrast in the design of a modern high bypass engine compared to a 1968 power plant.

I have a passing interest in older architecture. This Twitter feed is fascinating since it concerns housing around the old Pullman Factory in the Southside of Chicago (near Calumet). Also the Brickyard that was formed before the housing for employees near the turn of the 20th century. 

When Pullman sold the property most of the houses were razed and evidently a few were moved. Just a bit more of our history that gets lost in the rubble so to speak

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I have a passing interest in older architecture. This Twitter feed is fascinating since it concerns housing around the old Pullman Factory in the Southside of Chicago (near Calumet). Also the Brickyard that was formed before the housing for employees near the turn of the 20th century. 

When Pullman sold the property most of the houses were razed and evidently a few were moved. Just a bit more of our history that gets lost in the rubble so to speak

My wife and I visited that a couple years ago when they had a museum reopening. It’s between 111th and 112th, and one of the exciting things I saw was a house with the same rare five-digit address number I grew up with. It’s kind of the same feeling as when you find out some person you just met shares your birthday.

• Like 1

If your interest is in old architecture mixed with a little drama, here's one for you.

Tasty Nut Shop - White Pigeon, MI - Delicious Homemade Candies

Apparently, the city manager and the owner of the building had a little tift at the person's personal residence and the ongoing theory is that the city manager, who has been reported to be spiteful and vengeful, decided to condemn the over 100-year-old building. Hilarity has ensued.

The owner has since passed and there is a 501c that owns the building in an attempt to raise funds to restore it.

Officials: Tasty Nut Shop building should be razed (aol.com)

• Like 1