Random Randomness.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

NASA trying to arrange with SpaceX to boost Hubble's orbit to keep it in service another 20-30 yrs. 

Hubble with an amazing life considering it was almost DOA when launched.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-spacex-to-study-hubble-telescope-reboost-possibility

I just finished Astronaut John Young's book and he devoted some time to the work one of the Shuttle missions did to salvage Hubble.

It was a good book but very technical and a lot of it flew over my head.  But it is neat to read about a guy who's active career spanned from Gemini to the Shuttle program.

This is about as random as it gets!

We were in Chicago over the weekend to visit my daughter at college. Here college gave us free tickets to the Cubs game yesterday. So we go and the seats are in 405L, nose bleeds way up in the LF corner. It's a windy day and everyone is bundled up and covered with blankets. A guy comes over to our row and asked if anyone is sitting here and I said no. He then ask us where we were from and chatted for awhile. People started looking at him and pointing then finally asked for a selfies and to shake his hand. Long story short it was Tom Ricketts Chairman of the Cubs! He asked my daughter what she was going to school for and they talked about her boyfriend who is attending Detroit Mercy Law school. He gave her a phone number to call and said they could pick a game next year to sit in the owners suite! What a great guy and I could never seeing an Illitch doing something like that.

50F5CB5E-D954-465E-B1FC-8D3D24E5D620.jpeg

82344136-F73E-4EB2-B9AC-53A203811AFF.jpeg

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This is about as random as it gets!

We were in Chicago over the weekend to visit my daughter at college. Here college gave us free tickets to the Cubs game yesterday. So we go and the seats are in 405L, nose bleeds way up in the LF corner. It's a windy day and everyone is bundled up and covered with blankets. A guy comes over to our row and asked if anyone is sitting here and I said no. He then ask us where we were from and chatted for awhile. People started looking at him and pointing then finally asked for a selfies and to shake his hand. Long story short it was Tom Ricketts Chairman of the Cubs! He asked my daughter what she was going to school for and they talked about her boyfriend who is attending Detroit Mercy Law school. He gave her a phone number to call and said they could pick a game next year to sit in the owners suite! What a great guy and I could never seeing an Illitch doing something like that.

50F5CB5E-D954-465E-B1FC-8D3D24E5D620.jpeg

82344136-F73E-4EB2-B9AC-53A203811AFF.jpeg

Did he recognize your daughter’s avatar from any online forums?

• Haha 2

yeah the word icon gets thrown around a lot but in this case it's 100% true and then some.

Coal Miner's Daughter was such an awesome movie.  My parents grew up like that and that's my favorite part of the movie.  When I was a kid I still have family that lived in a holler.  I hated going because they didn't have plumbing or electricity.  That sounds awesome now.

I track the space station and in the Detroit area it’s visible tonight. 

Time: Tue Oct 04 7:56 PM, Visible: 7 min, Max Height: 66°, Appears: 10° above WNW, Disappears: 9° above SE

I am a sucker for this.  I watch it every time it comes over on a clear night. 

43 minutes ago, oblong said:

Time: Tue Oct 04 7:56 PM, Visible: 7 min, Max Height: 66°, Appears: 10° above WNW, Disappears: 9° above SE

I was out with the dog one night last week. Saw this object across the sky, it was the SpaceX Starlink watch. It was very visible along the east coast, especially with it's tail (that's what caught my eye). Very cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Is this the international space station?  I’m an idiot, there’s probably only one space station.  But, yeah, we’ll make it a must see if the conditions are right.  It’s crazy to think you can see it from that far away, however far away it is.

44 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is this the international space station?  I’m an idiot, there’s probably only one space station.  But, yeah, we’ll make it a must see if the conditions are right.  It’s crazy to think you can see it from that far away, however far away it is.

Yea the ISS. 220 miles up.  Was really cool when the space shuttle would link up and you saw two bright lights. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Yea the ISS. 220 miles up.  Was really cool when the space shuttle would link up and you saw two bright lights. 

This reminds me, we were on the shore of Lake Ontario in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.  We could see high rise buildings in downtown Toronto.  We were told they were 32 miles away.  Seems impossible, but maybe that’s right.

10 hours ago, casimir said:

This reminds me, we were on the shore of Lake Ontario in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.  We could see high rise buildings in downtown Toronto.  We were told they were 32 miles away.  Seems impossible, but maybe that’s right.

From some areas on the southeast side of Lake Michigan, if the conditions are right, you can see Chicago.

41 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

From some areas on the southeast side of Lake Michigan, if the conditions are right, you can see Chicago.

And now....., the rest of the story.

We tried to find Niagara-on-the-Lake when we went up the CN Tower, but of course, the reciprocal view wasn't there.  A bit too hazy from that height.

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Where exactly was this taken? 

image.png.00702db625267f929bf279f0c5d96b16.png

Highlighted area.

image.png.c7b2c3beded687ab88a294baf8d1cc3d.png

Zoomed out for context of where we were (the "n" in -on-) and where we were looking towards (the shoreline of Toronto).  It was a perfectly clear day.

Niagara-on-the-Lake is a beautiful little town.  Lots of vineyards in the area.  We were there on a weekend, so all of the little shops and the main drag were packed with folks.  But we took a horse drawn carriage ride around the town, and ended up in front of a wedding procession via carriage towards the end of our ride.  Just wandered about the shops and the village square.  There's a cemetery there that is actually Polish land for a regiment that died during the War of 1812.  It was a whim type of a jaunt up there while we were staying at the Falls, maybe only a 20-30 drive up.

• Like 1