Random Randomness.

One of those days….

- got out of work 2 hrs early… good

- downpour and really dark on the way home.  I “hit” something , I  thought…  pothole? Garbage can? Never saw anything, so I continued home (5 minutes), got in my driveway, and looked at the front of my car. - …… bent hood, indented front. 
What the heck did I hit???

I called the police department of the town I was in when the “hit” happened… and told them that I didn’t think much of what the sound was, but saw the damage to my car, so wanted to report to them…(I was so scared - did I hit a person? A dog?)

aA few minutes before I called, they’d received a call about a dead deer.

I told them, that had to be me.  I swear by all that is holy, I never saw a thing!

I’m thankful that I’m fine… I think. I’m sooo grateful/ thankful that it wasn’t a person or pet that I hit.  

My car is a 2011 Dodge Caliber.  You think it’ll be declared “totaled” by a claims adjuster?

I’m really hoping it can be fixed. I honestly can’t think about replacing  car right now.

I think I need a glass or wine or something. (And I can’t stop eating tonight. Oy vey)

• Sad 1

ouch, that's a bummer. and pretty weird, too.

16 hours ago, smr-nj said:

My car is a 2011 Dodge Caliber.  You think it’ll be declared “totaled” by a claims adjuster?

doesn't seem to take much to total out an older car. but what's on your side is that the car is still drivable and the airbags didn't go off. if the only problems are the hood and the bumper and not anything in the engine compartment or axles/tie rods/etc, you could be ok. fingers crossed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Tim Kiska does a podcast on Detroit history. His latest endeavor is a look at the role that WKNR FM and the Michigan Daily played in the "Paul is dead" rumor

https://detroithistorypodcast.com/podcast/paul-mccartney-is-dead-hoax/?fbclid=IwAR0TX2-6w1QALJy82sygkkbHr6h1QvL6MjuCmEdETqxuSHHixTtagfibvHA

So I had an open reel tape deck back in the day and my friends and I went through the whole deal playing everything backward and track by track. It's been so many years the memory fades but I think a big hook was that played backward you heard "Turn me on, dead man." But the air sort of went out the balloon when we played around some more and found out that any one of us could record ourselves saying "Number Nine"  (I think?) and it would always sound like "Turn me on Dead man" played backwards. So that was the end of that for us......

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 12:43 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Tim Kiska does a podcast on Detroit history. His latest endeavor is a look at the role that WKNR FM and the Michigan Daily played in the "Paul is dead" rumor

https://detroithistorypodcast.com/podcast/paul-mccartney-is-dead-hoax/?fbclid=IwAR0TX2-6w1QALJy82sygkkbHr6h1QvL6MjuCmEdETqxuSHHixTtagfibvHA

I've been listening to that lately.  I like it.  The one on Detroit Style Pizza was the most concise answer I've seen yet on who gets credit. It's messy but he lines it up really nice.  

On 11/16/2022 at 12:56 PM, oblong said:

From 3 miles away.  With headphones it's awesome.  You can feel the sound waves approaching and enveloping.  Keep in mind this is at 1:30 am local time.  I tried to stay up.  Been waiting for this.

We had the opportunity to see a shuttle launch several years ago. (A bit of research , it was Columbia in 2002. The last flight before the disaster in 2003)

It was a dawn launch and we were in a viewing area several miles away. It was pretty cool. 

We're close enough to possibly see launches out of Wallops Island if conditions are right. I saw a night time launch about a year ago. It was carrying a new toilet to the space station. I did luck into seeing a SpaceX test launch from Florida the end of September. Looked up while I was taking. the dog out to see it streaking across the sky. 

Edited by CMRivdogs

30 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The Wall Street Journal ranked the top US airports.  DTW ranked #4 overall.  San Francisco, Atlanta, and Minneapolis were the top 3 in that order.

The Best and Worst Airports of 2022

Never cared for Hartsfield. Have only been to SF a couple of times since they re-modeled. MSP got a big expansion of the security clearance area which improved it a lot - security capacity was the biggest shortcoming when I was going there a lot a few yrs ago.  DTW is very plain but fine - my one complaint would be that at departures Delta does a lousy job with the traffic management for the various lines - Pre-check/TSApre-approved/Medallion etc. Visibility of the signage is poor and it's never clear which line is which, so they have to have people out there telling you where to go and keeping people in the right line, which is fine but seems silly when they could just make it easier to navigate in the first place so you didn't need the help.

On the plus side, in my travels I have yet to go  anywhere in the country where you get your bags back faster than DTW. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

Minneapolis is the best large airport I've flown thru.  Detroit's pretty nice.  LAX is hell on earth.

any airport with the rental cars in a terminal attached garage gets at least one added star.

Which, aside from all the current construction at LAX is a big part of the problem there. I've had it take more than 30 min to get from the car drop to the terminal - absurd. Rental cars are even further away in Houston but at least the buses have a non-public interior road net.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1