Random Randomness.

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

any airport with the rental cars in a terminal attached garage gets at least one added star.

Which, aside from all the current construction at LAX is a big part of the problem there. I've had it take more than 30 min to get from the car drop to the terminal - absurd. Rental cars are even further away in Houston but at least the buses have a non-public interior road net.

That seems to be the biggest problem with DTW as well. Shuttle bus to rental cars adds at least a half hour to your trip both ways. That was probably the biggest complaint I would get as an Ambassador (volunteer) at the airport. The two terminal system also confused a few folks as well.

(Of course it didn't help if you had no clue what airline your cousin was flying in on or what city they were coming from...)

DFW is bad when it comes to rental car location.  I remember being in the shuttle a long time.

Florida's Southwest Airport (Ft Myers area) was the best but it's also a small airport.

The car rental apps have really improved the last few years with regard to not having to talk to anybody or wait in lines.  Just show up and my car is ready and show the person the QR code on the way out.

• Like 1

It's been ages since I've flown thru Dallas and hope to never do it again. A couple of bad experiences.

1) An evening flight to Los Angeles, connecting from DFW to Burbank. The flight was late, they changed gates three times. This was also early on in the screening process when they also checked you at the gate. I had been up since 3 AM and it was going on 10 PM Central time. I was the "lucky one" chosen for a pat down. I bit my tongue, but really wanted to strip down to my underwear.

We also has an American Airlines flight from Phoenix with a connection in Dallas. One of the longest tram rides I've ever taken as we had less than 20 minutes to make the connection. Just made it as the doors were closing (they were paging us).

Throw in a couple of times when we flew in around Christmas and wished we had brought our own rock salt.... 

One of my favorite holiday stories and a big hit on Reddit.

This article is from last year but it explains what happened.

Teen Who Was Accidentally Invited to 'Grandma's' for Thanksgiving Celebrates 6th Holiday with Her

The pals met in November 2016 when Dench accidentally sent Hinton, then 17, a text message inviting him over for dinner, instead of her 24-year-old grandson. There was some initial confusion, and the two sent selfies to each other that confirmed the mix-up.

Dench later learned that her grandson had switched his number, but when Hinton asked if he could still come over for dinner, she texted back, "Of course you can. That's what grandmas do … feed everyone," according to ABC News.

Edited by Deleterious
  • Like 6

On 11/22/2022 at 10:03 PM, Deleterious said:

One of my favorite holiday stories and a big hit on Reddit.

This article is from last year but it explains what happened.

Teen Who Was Accidentally Invited to 'Grandma's' for Thanksgiving Celebrates 6th Holiday with Her

That is a great story.  They've developed this great friendship.   

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

They were only supposed to bring down the 4 towers.

Ooops. So it looks to me like these were the stacks from utility boilers that were retrofitted with a tail gas scrubber, which is what the the fifth untapered column appears to be. Once the scrubber was in service the stacks would no longer be in use. So they managed to take out the scubber.

If you have seen the Edison Monroe plant over the years it used to have two very tall stacks there were taken out of service via replacement with shorter cyllindrical srubber towers in a set up similar to what this appears to be.

On 11/24/2022 at 6:42 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Does anyone else use Julian calendars? Working with GM it’s required with purchase orders. It is hard to find wall calendars anymore with Julian numbers listed.

Yes.  Julian calendars are part of the basis for our batch codes assigned to production.  These are essential in the unfortunate event that we need to perform a recall.

This is the one that I have at work.  Julians are in small font in the top right corner of each day.

Edited by casimir
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I think I’ve got to get the heck out of Jerseyin a couple years.  
What places should I look at for affordability, good medical community, at least a smattering of .Arts, theaters, school,quality of living.

any good ideas?

In a smal to mid-sized city you can find that combination in a college town. Otherwise something bigger. If you go bigger then the question is urban or sub-urban.