Random Randomness.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I am doing a 3,000 pushup challenge in November raising money for St. Jude (my favorite charity). If you would like to donate $5 or whatever (heck, even a buck helps), you'll be helping a family receive free medical care for a child with cancer.

https://www.facebook.com/donate/1259963094845565/?fundraiser_source=external_url

be careful.  

A friend of mine, who is in decent shape for someone in their mid 40's, was doing 100 a day to keep up with his HS boys.  He ended up having some kind of muscle attack on his arms but wasn't sure at the time, went to the ER to rule out a heart attack.

Don't be afraid to go on your knees.  At our age.... it's no joke.  I used to bang out 25 at a time but my wrists and fingers started to develop some issues, i wear gloves now.  But during our classes if we are doing chest or pushup work I get some 35 pound dumbells and do it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

be careful.  

A friend of mine, who is in decent shape for someone in their mid 40's, was doing 100 a day to keep up with his HS boys.  He ended up having some kind of muscle attack on his arms but wasn't sure at the time, went to the ER to rule out a heart attack.

Don't be afraid to go on your knees.  At our age.... it's no joke. 

Of course, like many our age, I displace more water than I used to. In preparation of the challenge, I have been doing them on my knees. I've grown wise enough to know that I don't have to impress anyone and will know when it is the right time to transition to doing them on my toes. As a barrel-chested fire hydrant, pushups are the one thing that I've always been able to do a lot of and had stopped doing them because I fell victim to laziness combined with busyness. 

Having said that, it's sage advice and I appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Of course, like many our age, I displace more water than I used to. In preparation of the challenge, I have been doing them on my knees. I've grown wise enough to know that I don't have to impress anyone and will know when it is the right time to transition to doing them on my toes. As a barrel-chested fire hydrant, pushups are the one thing that I've always been able to do a lot of and had stopped doing them because I fell victim to laziness combined with busyness. 

Having said that, it's sage advice and I appreciate it.

I love them and wish I wasn't having these issues with my hands because you can feel it everywhere.  You can make them almost as effective on your knees anyway and remove a lot of the injury risk.  Win Win.  

4 hours ago, oblong said:

be careful.  

Don't be afraid to go on your knees.  At our age.... it's no joke.  I used to bang out 25 at a time but my wrists and fingers started to develop some issues, i wear gloves now.  But during our classes if we are doing chest or pushup work I get some 35 pound dumbells and do it that way.

That's a good reminder.  I was going to add pushups to my routine as I continue to try to lose some weight, but the rest of the routine has been in tatters since our fall fundraiser - which is 5 days of 12 hour shifts & is a routine killer.  If I do add them, it will not be to impress anyone.  I don't even wanna look in the mirror & see myself!