Random Randomness.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

35 years ago today flight 255 crashed at DTW.

I was 13 and coming back from Phoenix the next day. That plane was going to Phoenix so it was all over the news there. Flying for the first time, by myself.  Since they didn’t know the reason yet in a precursor to today they wouldn’t let my older sister, who I went to visit, past security without a ticket.  She talked her way in since it was my first time and I was a minor. We flew over the wreckage.   

one of the cleanup guys in our old building was a medic also in med school at the time and worked the scene.  A co worker friend knew him as his dad owned an ambulance company.  I was told It messed him up so bad he dropped out of school and 25 years later he’s washing dishes and mopping floors in an office building.   

• Sad 1

There was Jimmy and Tommy and Me and there was Anthony Stabile, Frankie Carbone, and there was Moe Black's brother Fat Andy and his guys Frankie The Wop, Freddie No-Nose and then there was Pete The Killer, who was Sally Balls' brother, Nicky Eyes and Mikey Franzese and Jimmy Two-Times who got that nickname because he said everything twice.

On 8/16/2022 at 5:11 PM, Deleterious said:

35 years ago today flight 255 crashed at DTW.

I lived in Dearborn.  It was a light rain that night.  I was at my Aunt's house just after 8pm to pick something up.  She lived at Telegraph between Van Born & Michigan.  I do recall hearing some sirens down towards 94 but that's it.  Didn't hear any crash or explosions.   Had no idea what happened until I went to watch something on TV and all the news stations were in coverage live.   If I hadn't watched TV that night I would not have known until the morning.   No internet back then.  Things were so much different.   Now within 10 minutes we'd have people's dash cam footage, cellphone footage, people on the scene, and rumors and conspiracy theories (the government shot it down).   

I had a flight to California 2 days later.  Had to take a very long way and very slow way around to get there because 94 and Middlebelt were still closed.    

Like Oblong mentioned - I didn't know anyone involved in that cleanup, but a guy I knew was in the reserves and was called in to clean up a crash in Pittsburgh.........the plane flew nose first directly into the ground at 300 mph and the impact and pressure it caused left no person intact.  This was out in the woods in some hills.   I knew this guy in 1996, two years after the crash and when he brought it up he'd start shaking.   I doubt he's ever been the same

Its so strange.  I flew 2 days after that and had no fear at all.  Then when I am in California, I am watching some news show in the afternoon and the guy is talking and someone walks up behind him - in the studio - with a gun - and it cuts to a Technical Difficulties title card immediately

It was this...........I saw this live, for about 3 seconds

david-horowitz-gun.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

It turned out that guy was the son of one of their contributing reporters (special segments), and they knew him and that's how he got in there.  He had this manifesto that he wanted David Horowitz to read.     They cut away from this in about 3 seconds but he didn't know that so Horowitz did what he was told and read it.   We never saw that part.  Turned out it was a BB gun.  

https://deadline.com/2019/02/david-horowitz-dead-fight-back-held-hostage-on-air-1202560712/

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There was Jimmy and Tommy and Me and there was Anthony Stabile, Frankie Carbone, and there was Moe Black's brother Fat Andy and his guys Frankie The Wop, Freddie No-Nose and then there was Pete The Killer, who was Sally Balls' brother, Nicky Eyes and Mikey Franzese and Jimmy Two-Times who got that nickname because he said everything twice.

On the Rewatchables Podcast for Goodfellas one of the guys makes a good point... "so who the hell was Moe Black that we needed to know  Fat Andy was his brother?  Why not There was Fat Andy?"

Take the time and read it, it's gold

If H.P. Lovecraft wrote the Olive Garden dinner menu..........

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/hp-lovecraft-writes-olive-gardens-dinner-menu

I will include a snippet

Lasagna Classico

If I survive, I will never shake the unmitigated horror. The layers: slick, flesh-colored slices… of what? I am forever unsure. Tiers of bloody stripes, as my tears soon will be. Madness controls my mouth as forkfuls of stodgy substance and sludge slide down my esophagus. Death seems certain.

20 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Fantastic idea, these should be on every major highway. This a great account to follow.

cute. A few large bulk carrying ships have been built with multiple vertical wind turbines lined up in rows, but they present a lot of logistical problems with loading, clearances etc. Of course this guy has a solar panel on top that may be generating a good part of the energy claimed!