Random Randomness.

I get this insulation ad all the time on social media with the foam where they show it filling up in the walls..... it's fascinating to watch.  But in the video they show it going over the plumbing and electrical.... is that a good idea?  Doesn't seem like it to my non handy man eyes.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I get this insulation ad all the time on social media with the foam where they show it filling up in the walls..... it's fascinating to watch.  But in the video they show it going over the plumbing and electrical.... is that a good idea?  Doesn't seem like it to my non handy man eyes.

I had fiber insulation blown into the walls at my 1st house - it was a bit messy when you opened an electrical outlet - but the insulation worked great . I was always a little reticent about the foam blowers because of the potential for organics, but they do have much better compositions then when I was looking at it. Current house was built OEM with tar paper backed fiberglass in the walls - not enough, but enough that trying to shoot anything in around it is probably a bad idea....:classic_sad:

42 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’m thinking of the foam kind. Does it solidify like the stuff I’ve used for cracks and such? I’m thinking if you ever needed to get to the pipes or access the cables you would have a mess to dig out. 

when I've seen it installed (home-improvement shows on TV, like This Old House), they come by after it sets and saw it off. so yeah, if you needed to access a broken coupling or pull more wire, it could be fairly annoying.

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

when I've seen it installed (home-improvement shows on TV, like This Old House), they come by after it sets and saw it off. so yeah, if you needed to access a broken coupling or pull more wire, it could be fairly annoying.

yeah - I don't think any wires are going to get fished through that stuff without cutting wallboard. But most inside work guys treat redoing wall board as pretty much nothing. Of course if you weren't planning on repainting the room after the electrical work, well, now you are!

12 hours ago, oblong said:

I’m thinking of the foam kind. Does it solidify like the stuff I’ve used for cracks and such? I’m thinking if you ever needed to get to the pipes or access the cables you would have a mess to dig out. 

It would be a dig out issue but is such a rare event that a pipe would break inside a fully insulated wall. If you were remodeling, you'd end up with just about the same amount of work behind the wall anyway. Blown in insulation (which I have and love....NuWool) would be more messy IMO.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

ballpark figure how much does that insulation cost?  our back bedrooms get cold and are at the end of the "line" of our system.  I think our room used to have a window in one location based on the brick discoloration outside. 

I don't know about the Detroit area but I think it ended up being around 3-4k for a 2800 sq ft ranch. My house is brick so it had to be done from the inside. They drilled two holes between every stud (one at about 6 ft and one about 3 ft), filled it with insulation and then put the plug they created with a hole saw back in. They used a lot of plastic sheeting around the house to limit dust and had a cleaning person follow them in to clean any messes they made.

If you have siding, they can do it from the outside and will probably be less than if they have to do it from the inside.

We noticed a huge difference right away in terms of comfort and a noticeable reduction of noise from the outside.

Remember that cargo ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal last year?

Welp.....

https://www.axios.com/evergreen-container-ship-runs-aground-chesapeake-bay-f63d08ca-5d3f-4515-803d-2a05bd4faaad.html

Officials were working to free a container ship owned by Evergreen Marine that ran aground near the U.S. capital over the weekend, per Bloomberg.

• Maryland-National Capital Region Sector Commander Capt. David O’Connell said the ship ran aground in 25-foot-deep water, but no "injuries, pollution, or damage to the ship" were reported, according to CBS Baltimore.
  • Maryland Port Administration executive director William Doyle said the "ship's grounding is not preventing other ships from transiting to the Port of Baltimore," Bloomberg reports.
  • Representatives for Evergreen Marine did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment.

58 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Remember that cargo ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal last year?

Welp.....

https://www.axios.com/evergreen-container-ship-runs-aground-chesapeake-bay-f63d08ca-5d3f-4515-803d-2a05bd4faaad.html

ROTLMAO - Axios' story hook that appears at the bottom of stories was doubly appropriate on this one...."GO DEEPER" !!!

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm guessing she's so far out of the ship channel into shallow water they can't get any suitable ship near enough to her to partially off-load her.

Remember the Insidious Trend thread I started on the old board, back in, what, 2006 or so? It became a thread about tipping in general, but it started because I was seeing more and more tipping jars at the retail and carryout levels.

Here's what I said back then:

One of the worst trends I have seen in this century is the retail tip jar. I never really saw it much before about seven or eight years ago, but the usage of this device appears to me to have really accelerated in the last couple years.

Tell you what got me thinking about this. I ordered takeout from Maggiano's. I drove downtown to pick it up and parked. I walked in and I was fourth in line. It took them ten minutes to get to me, but they did, and I picked up my food, and paid.

As I was leaving, I noticed it: the tip basket on the counter. There appeared to be fifteen, maybe twenty bucks in it.

OK, so let's see -- I drove to them, I waited in line to get my food, I made all the effort to consummate the transaction ... so, what it is I'm tipping them for, now?

Now? Carryout tipping is no longer a trend. It is now established practice:

1 big thing: Carryout tipping here to stay

fallback.png

Data: Axios poll. Chart: Will Chase/Axios

We recently reported on the changing views around carryout tipping and asked for your opinions. As dine-in restrictions are lifted for local restaurants, should we keep tipping on transactions we may not have before the pandemic?

• Your answer is clear: Carryout tipping is here to stay.

💵 By the numbers: In an informal survey of 460 Axios readers:

• 38% will continue to tip 10-15%.

• 23% will continue to tip a couple of bucks.

• Under 20% will continue to not tip at all.

Why it matters: Restaurants are seeing almost 60% more delivery and carryout business than before the pandemic.

What they're saying: "Restaurant employees strive to ensure customers have a great experience in-person and in the comfort of their homes," Illinois Restaurant Association president Sam Toia tells Axios.

• "We encourage all patrons to continue to support restaurant team members."

Yes, but: "Pre-pandemic tipping on carryout wasn't expected, but it quickly shifted as we were all trying to help restaurant's frontline essential workers," Beyond Etiquette founder Bonnie Tsai tells Axios.

• "However, if you are unable to tip 10-15% due to your own financial situation, there's no need to overextend yourself."

💭 Justin's thought bubble: I'll continue to tip, but you can't make me stop trying to get the worker's attention so they see that I did. Classic Dad move.

💭 Monica's thought bubble: I'm grateful to anyone dealing with the public these days — especially now that my daughter is a part-time hostess who handles carryout orders.

• She recently called from Urbana to say, "Mom, I had such a good night. I made almost $20 in tips!"

A few of your thoughts:

Carolyn L: "A lot of the apps give you the percentage option, so you're not just tipping on the total of your food, but also their service fees."

Blind L: "I've found that some restaurants won’t take my tip on carryout."

Eileen M: "We don't tip for takeout orders. When we dine in we always do since you receive service from waitstaff."

We do not allow tipping for carryout or delivery.  We do charge a delivery fee but when you pay on our site with a CC there is no spot to add a tip.  Obviously, we can't police if you tip one of our drivers in cash.  But we make it clear in multiple places that we do not accept tips.

Every Tuesday I order from a local deli. Been there for over 30 years. With Ford still having most people working from home I know he’s taken a hit from lunch sales because it was a popular spot for the white collar people being so close.   He has an online system which is very convenient for me as I can order during a meeting or whatever. I assume that system takes a cut of the sale so I always add a tip. It’s only a few bucks and I don’t miss it. I get an awesome sandwich for $15.  Can’t beat it. Gets me out of the house for a few minutes too. 

There is a BBQ place close by that we patronize on a regular basis. They tried delivery early in the pandemic but it didn't seem to work out well for them. We use it mostly for carry-out. I see no problem with adding a bit extra to help them out.

Just as an aside we ordered Thanksgiving dinner from them last year. It made more sense than to cook since it was just the two of us. It was "all hands on deck". Truly a family operation, down to the little kids helping to prepare and carry orders to the cars.

My local middle eastern guy had to shut down for about 6 months. Couldn't find any help. one day it was just him and his brother.  He said the problem for him wasn't finding people that wanted to work it was finding people who wanted to be on payroll. He told me that it's a cultural thing among "my people".  Paying taxes is a no no.  Since then I noticed it among all kinds of local job listings that come up for gas stations. They explicitly state that you must be on payroll.    He's back but now during Ramadan he's looking for a dishwasher at night, going to pay $17.  The guys he had don't want to give up the time they can eat working.   My son might do it as a second job.