Random Randomness.

I've mentioned this before, maybe just a few weeks ago: I have seen where when I try to tip through my credit card, either for a carryout or sitting down at a restaurant, they ring me up for the bill amount but not the tip. Example: I get a bill for, let's say, $79.55; I write up a tip on the sheet of $15 for a total of $94.55, they ring up my card for just the $79.55. I started noticing this when I set up text alerts for all my credit card charges. I felt a little bad when this happened in a restaurant; for the carryout I just shrug and say oh well.

One thing I have been doing more in restaurants is tipping cash even when I pay with a card. I get the bill for $79.55; I leave a ten and a five in the folder with the signed bill; on the tip line I write "CASH". The way I figure it is, here's the cash, the tax situation is between the staff, their god, and their Turbotax.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've mentioned this before, maybe just a few weeks ago: I have seen where when I try to tip through my credit card, either for a carryout or sitting down at a restaurant, they ring me up for the bill amount but not the tip. Example: I get a bill for, let's say, $79.55; I write up a tip on the sheet of $15 for a total of $94.55, they ring up my card for just the $79.55. I started noticing this when I set up text alerts for all my credit card charges. I felt a little bad when this happened in a restaurant; for the carryout I just shrug and say oh well.

The tip portion gets added later, but for some reason doesn't generate a new "alert". My statement always ends up showing the full amount including tip once the charge actually hits. It's similar to when a gas station does an initial "hold" of $100 when you swipe your card, and then the actual amount posts later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

The tip portion gets added later, but for some reason doesn't generate a new "alert". My statement always ends up showing the full amount including tip once the charge actually hits. It's similar to when a gas station does an initial "hold" of $100 when you swipe your card, and then the actual amount posts later.

You're right, I went into my account and I see that.

yeah I think it's always been like that for me.  I would tip cash but I never carry it anymore.  My haircut lady used to take Venmo but stopped because of some tax reasons but luckily she also takes Zelle which my bank has.  She was the only reason I got cash out since the pandemic started.  Even before then it was only for Tigers games.  Now they are cashless.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

One thing I have been doing more in restaurants is tipping cash even when I pay with a card. I get the bill for $79.55; I leave a ten and a five in the folder with the signed bill; on the tip line I write "CASH". The way I figure it is, here's the cash, the tax situation is between the staff, their god, and their Turbotax.

I always tip with a card - With my credit union it shows up almost immediately as just the meal price.  After about a week, the amount changes to the full amount plus tip.  I have no idea why.

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Trying a new strategy, unload the vessel then try to re float it....

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/ever-forward-to-be-unloaded-before-next-refloat-try

interesting that in the pic, the ship is carrying a full number of containers but looks to be sitting a long way above the maximum draft point - which means maybe it's in really shallow water - so they may have to use relatively small ships or barges to ferry the off loaded containers - which could mean lots of trips = slow process.

29 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The water there is reported to be about 24 ft deep. They need a draft of 45.

Interesting note, folks rave about the size of the Chesapeake Bay, it pales compared to Lake Superior. 

those containers must be full of ping pong balls. Her unloaded displacement is probably > 20'

What has generally been acknowledged as the first rock and roll record. Rocket 88 written by Ike Turner. The song was recorded by Turner and his Kings of Rhythm at Sam Phillips Sun Studios. Turner says the label was mis-attributed to sax player/vocalist Jackie Brenston. Turner also said a faulty speaker was responsible for the first fuzz tone guitar recording....

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oblong said:

Whenever I am bored I put on the sequence in Blues Brothers from about the 50 minute mark through the end of Bob's Country Bunker.  John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, and Aretha all in a row.

Great scene. Of all the BB Band musicians, Matt Murphy was the only one with acting skills. The others were so stiff. He could have gone on to that career had he not been a sought-after guitarist. It was almost destiny being that "guitar" is his middle name.

• 2 weeks later...